BMW Flying Bricks? (Read 95 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
BMW Flying Bricks?
10/10/19 at 18:16:41

I've for unknown reasons developed a strange fascination with the old K75 and K100 bikes. Anyone have any 1st hand experience with them?

There's several nice examples for very reasonable prices nearby and my curiosity is making me want to go check them out.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: BMW Flying Bricks?
Reply #1 - 10/11/19 at 02:59:33

I have some second hand information.

When I was looking for a sport touring bike big enough for my wife and I to ride on, a friend who is a very experienced rider kept recommending I go ride a K75.  He and his wife had one and they took many long tours on it.  He claims it is one of the best bikes he ever owned......and he has been riding a very long time.  Currently they own a Triumph Bonneville and the just got back from a 3,000 mile trip.

There are some really nasty, abused, beat up bikes for sale, and also some very nice ones.
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ft-mitchell-1990-bmw-k75-low-miles/69...

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/melbourne-bmw-k75t-1987-blue-hard-bag...

For some reason I just could not convince myself I needed a 30 year old motorcycle to take long rides on, and I bought a 2016 BMW F800GT instead.  It is a great motorcycle so far, the only issue that is bothersome is the amount of wind noise in my helmet from the air coming off the stock windscreen.  Several of us are trying aftermarket windshields, and I believe we have found the ones that work.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #2 - 10/11/19 at 10:20:19

One positive about the old BMWs is BMW still stocks OEM parts for them: https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/BMW__K75.html. I remember reading one site that you could assemble a BMW from the as far back as the 70s from parts if you really wanted to.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 10/11/19 at 12:41:46

Good point about the parts. That and the sheer numbers of these bikes surviving up to 300K miles is impressive. Not to mention you could tear down the entire engine without taking it out of the frame. It's reportedly one of the easiest bikes to work on.
From what I've gathered in my research is the trick is to find one that's been in constant use regardless of age or mileage. This bikes worst enemy is disuse.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/11/19 at 16:37:25

philthymike wrote on 10/11/19 at 12:41:46:
This bikes worst enemy is disuse.

I wondered why the K1200S is such an inexpensive bike used, and not very popular.  I asked the mechanic at the BMW dealer in Charlotte, VA about them, and he says that time is not kind to them.....they hold up well for mileage but things age quickly on the bike.  He didn't go into any more detail than that - and when I rode one and was considering buying it, I was worried about the complexity of doing even simple maintenance on it......it looks very hard to work on.

It may be a good motorcycle - but I chickened out.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 10/11/19 at 17:01:09

Friend of mine bought a K75 used with 49k on it and it now has close to 150k. He won't even wash it , only what it needs only what it needs he says. Oil , filters , brakes n tires thats it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/12/19 at 04:47:26

Here is a thread from the F800 forum on the K100/K75 bikes.

https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/25047-OK-here-is-a-Brick-story

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 10/14/19 at 06:27:06

Another attempt at the cruiser market...

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/spy-shots-2020-bmw-r18-cruiser-break...

Apparently. But why? Isn't the millennial set uninterested in cruisers?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/14/19 at 09:07:17

I have no idea why BMW would want to make a cruiser......seems odd to put a 200,000 mile boxer engine in a bike that is likely to spend most of it's life on the sidestand.

BMW riders are mostly touring or sport touring riders.........I doubt they will ever win over the dyed in the wool cruiser fellows who believe a V-Twin is the only suitable engine layout.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 10/14/19 at 09:23:45

Allways have to be "  BIGGER   " to be better ???  sad,sad,sad  Sad

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #10 - 10/14/19 at 17:26:55

Not to mention their last cruiser was a total flop. And hideously wrong in so many ways to boot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 07:57:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › BMW Flying Bricks?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.