Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Two questions .. Bogging and setting float height (Read 127 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Two questions .. Bogging and setting float hei
Reply #15 - 10/15/19 at 05:57:36

Junker wrote on 10/14/19 at 21:06:28:
Quote:
That's what mine looked like. Replace it.  It's not worth the trouble.  And if you want to know where that black coating ended up, look inside your carb body.

Isn't that black stuff the result from the carb back firing?

-----------------------------

My bike doesn't backfire.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #16 - 10/15/19 at 06:12:00

I would check for a vacuum leak leak by spraying the outside of the carb with cleaner when the bike is running.  It's an easy check and might show something. Start with the simple stuff and work up.
 Dropping in a new plug is always a good idea when trouble shooting just to make sure it's not failing.
 I'll leave the carb work to the carb guys on the site. The have forgotten more than I know about carb tuning. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/15/19 at 07:24:32

Junker wrote on 10/10/19 at 16:10:12:
2. I'm stuck with a severe bogging and carb backfiring issue at any acceleration, or holding speed over 40 mph. I have cleaned the carb, tried almost every poss combination of jet changes, including setting to stock. Have run the bike with and without the air box cover, and have placed in a clean filter. Nothing has helped. The tank is clean and fuel is flowing strongly out of the gravity feed petcock.
------------------------------------

The way our carbs work is that when you turn the throttle, it opens a butterfly valve which allows more air to pass through the carb.  That moving air creates a vacuum that pulls the slide up to allows more fuel/air a mixture (this mixture is controlled by your jetting).    If that slide sticks at any point, the system will go lean because the butterfly is taking more air, but the slide isn't giving more fuel.  So, you can throw whatever jets you want in there and you will end up lean anyway.

Mine would stick momentarily during acceleration creating a lean condition in the midrange.   I attempted to jet around the issue because I just assumed that it was simply lean in the midrange.   Then it got worse.  Once it wouldn't go over 20 mph.  Another time it got stuck while going 45.  

I cleaned mine a few times but it would still stick.  I replaced it with a new slide and when I rejeted, I actually ended up leaner than I was before.  My bike ran much stronger, it stopped backfiring (even on deceleration) and my fuel economy went up.  It was the best $120 I spent on the bike.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #18 - 10/15/19 at 08:42:33

Are you sure it's backfiring through the carb? That's an indication of a serious timing issue and makes me think that the cam has jumped a sprocket or two. That would explain the poor running.

Don't confuse after fire (that large pop on decel or shut down) with back firing. Back firing will blow the airfilter apart.

If you have true backfiring through the carb, stop riding that bike and check the cam timing. Have you ever looked at the condition of the automatic cam chain tensionor (ACCT)?

I'm sorry I didn't pick-up on the carb back firing issue earlier. I'm just so accustomed to 99% of the people on this forum describing their afterfire as backfire that I have developed a mental filter that keeps me from reading it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:28:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Two questions .. Bogging and setting float height

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.