Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Two questions .. Bogging and setting float height (Read 127 times)
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Two questions .. Bogging and setting float height
10/10/19 at 16:10:12

1. The service manual is kind of vague with setting the float high, any links / post that cover this?

2. I'm stuck with a severe bogging and carb backfiring issue at any acceleration, or holding speed over 40 mph. I have cleaned the carb, tried almost every poss combination of jet changes, including setting to stock. Have run the bike with and without the air box cover, and have placed in a clean filter. Nothing has helped. The tank is clean and fuel is flowing strongly out of the gravity feed petcock.

At the moment the only thing not stock on the bike is a dyna muffler, yet it stated bogging with the original muffler that came with the bike.

Could the float being out cause this? Is is happening because i'm starving for fuel?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Two questions .. Bogging and setting float hei
Reply #1 - 10/10/19 at 16:45:10

Probably not. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show how to set the float height, it’s simply bending the tang. A mid aligned float usually results in a carb that overflows with the engine off.

My guess is your problem is from a failed vacuum fuel petcock.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/10/19 at 18:37:47

Junker wrote on 10/10/19 at 16:10:12:
1. The service manual is kind of vague with setting the float high, any links / post that cover this?

why sure there is...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1367212825

can be found in the index (link below)

Quote:
My guess is your problem is from a failed vacuum fuel petcock.

yup... probably.

WWW   IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/10/19 at 20:38:32

Except my petcock is not vacuum ...

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 10/11/19 at 07:09:48

It it a genuine Yamaha part?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 10/11/19 at 07:47:03

Is it spitting out black poofs of smoke/soot? If so, that is a sign of being overly rich and the bike is flooding. If it is just "not wanting to go" beyond a certain throttle level, maybe you have a sticking slide or a leak in the slide diaphragm not letting it pull past a certain level to lift and open the throttle.  When you clean the diaphragm and slide, the most important things are NOT to use carb cleaner because it is not good on rubber/plastic and to clean the slide and carb body VERY good as to not leave fingerprints or oil prints on either. The tolerances are super thin and any oils can cause sticking and cause trash to stick to the slide and cause sticking, etc.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 10/11/19 at 08:27:24

If it's not the petcock it's the sticky slide that batman mentioned.  I had enough problems with mine that I ponied up the $120+ for a new one and it was money well spent.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 10/11/19 at 08:28:18

And if you had it apart recently, make sure the diaphragm is properly seated.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 10/11/19 at 10:51:52

I followed that link that Verslagen posted that provides the float height of 1.06" to 1.114". While the range is correct, please note that the photo in that thread is a perfect example of how NOT to check the float height.

On the needle valve you will see that micro spring loaded pin that makes contact with the float tang. It is important that the pin not be compressed while taking the measurement. Therefore, the height must be checked when the carb is on its side, and rotated just enough where the tang makes contact with, but doesn't compress, the spring.

I'm going to add this info to that thread as well.

If the problem you are having arose prior to you taking apart the carb, it's more than likely not the float height. The only way the float height will change is if the tang is adjusted (intended or unintended). They really don't change from normal use. However, during carb maintenance it makes complete sense to check float height because you may have accidentally moved the set height.

IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/11/19 at 13:39:07

The issue has been an on going one that has slowly built up to where it is now.

The needle slide has signs of a lot of wear. There are areas on the slide where the plastic coating has been worn down to the metal. The diaphragm is in good nick (no holes etc) and seems to be seated properly. This will be checked again this weekend.

Regarding the petcock, i'm not sure if it is a genuine Yamaha part. It was already on the bike when I purchased it

The float looks to be set right.

Thanks for the replies guys!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 10/11/19 at 14:44:25

The marks in the slide aren't necessarily bad. Several I have seen will have parts where the black color seems to weak off slightly over time.  So long as you are confident it is clean, seated properly and pulling a vacuum you should be ok.

If you have the carb off the bike and have an air compressor handy, you can open the throttle valve and give a blast of air through the carb body (can't remember exactly where to point the air) and watch the vacuum pull the slide up. If you can get this "test" to work and you know the slide is moving freely up and down all of the way, you can eliminate that at least...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #11 - 10/11/19 at 19:12:58

Is the port for the vacuum petcock capped off?
How does it act at full speed?
You said it backfires from the carb?  Sounds like a vacuum leak
What jets are you running?

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #12 - 10/12/19 at 00:20:55

Its probably not, but hasnt everyone been waiting for a cam adjuster plunger incident.  Its traveled so far out that the loose chain has jumped a tooth.

Ive had that happen on other vehicles and acted that way, like severely bad timing, barely running up to speed and backfiring like crazy.

Fact that I dont think its happened to anyone yet is pretty good chance thats not the problem.  But maybe someday it might creep up. Or perhaps 1 tooth on a single cylinder bike like this is such a drastic changed it wouldnt even run.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 10/14/19 at 09:48:41

Junker wrote on 10/11/19 at 13:39:07:
The needle slide has signs of a lot of wear. There are areas on the slide where the plastic coating has been worn down to the metal. The diaphragm is in good nick (no holes etc) and seems to be seated properly. This will be checked again this weekend.

--------------------------------

That's what mine looked like. Replace it.  It's not worth the trouble.  And if you want to know where that black coating ended up, look inside your carb body.

IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/14/19 at 21:06:28

Quote:
That's what mine looked like. Replace it.  It's not worth the trouble.  And if you want to know where that black coating ended up, look inside your carb body.

Isn't that black stuff the result from the carb back firing?

Quote:
Is the port for the vacuum petcock capped off?

Yes, with a new vacuum cap.

Quote:
How does it act at full speed?

When cold I can slowly climb her up to 50mph, with the bike bogging at the slightest twitch of the throttle. Once warm, I can't get any faster than 30mph.

Quote:
You said it backfires from the carb?  Sounds like a vacuum leak.

None that I can see. I have check everywhere.

Quote:
What jets are you running?

I have tried straight stock, a combination of the stock and Lancers rejet pack, etc. All to no prevail.

Quote:
Ive had that happen on other vehicles and acted that way, like severely bad timing, barely running up to speed and backfiring like crazy.

I have the Versy mod so nothing there has fallen apart. Would wrong timing make the bike bog?  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 18:24:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Two questions .. Bogging and setting float height

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.