Breather Blues (Read 1247 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Breather Blues
Reply #105 - 02/16/20 at 16:37:21

While we seem to be concerned here  with oil / fuel vapors,  that may or not be burned in the motor , that's nothing compared to what's leaving your exhaust pipe . IC ( internal  combustion ) engines ,gas and diesel  efficiency , only runs between about 20 to 30 percent , the other 70 to 80% ( gas favors the lower end of the span)passing out the exhaust is  much worse than the fumes from the breather hose.
Take heart,  MY 2008 chev pickup (5.3L)  and my Savage at 60 mph when compared ,the truck puts out 4 1/2 times the exhaust ,true it has a Cat converter but I still open the garage door when I fire up a motor.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #106 - 02/17/20 at 06:22:28

batman wrote on 02/16/20 at 16:37:21:
While we seem to be concerned here  with oil / fuel vapors,  that may or not be burned in the motor , that's nothing compared to what's leaving your exhaust pipe . IC ( internal  combustion ) engines ,gas and diesel  efficiency , only runs between about 20 to 30 percent , the other 70 to 80% ( gas favors the lower end of the span)passing out the exhaust is  much worse than the fumes from the breather hose.

A brief review indicates that while it is true that only 20-30% of fuel is typically thermally converted to useful energy, a modern, conforming engine successfully burns all but a fraction of a percentile of fuel.   Tail pipe emissions, while linked, don’t relate directly to energy conversion efficiency- that is, just because energy isn’t harnessed doesn’t mean it wasn’t converted to heat, exiting as a proportionate constituent of exhaust emissions.   While the volume of emissions from the crankcase and exhaust differ radically, so does the character and liabilities- that, after all, is why systems are contrived to confront crankcase emissions.  It’s a bit of a non sequitur to claim venting the crankcase directly to atmosphere is no big deal simply because there is comparatively less of it- akin to saying “don’t worry about the low levels of lead and mercury in this ice cream, as it contains far more cholesterol”.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #107 - 02/17/20 at 07:13:31

After you convert to electric m/c... will you worry about the ozone?

WWW   IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #108 - 02/17/20 at 07:16:24

I understand the motive to deride and dismiss these as petty concerns- but not the impulse.

I suggest we limit our concern here to the performance impacts of systems/mechanical contrivances, and not contesting values.  

Maybe you don’t care about improving engine performance- and that’s fine; other folks do, and that’s OK, too.   Still, we don’t hear rationalizations for why we shouldn’t care about oil clogged air filters or constricted air flow as we are with emissions.  The cause has everything to do with the rider and nothing to do with the bike; how about we just focus on the bike?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #109 - 02/17/20 at 09:31:52

Maybe you should focus on your bike ,and show us the way.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #110 - 02/17/20 at 13:21:24

An honest review of posts to this thread demonstrates clearly enough who has been ‘focused on the bike’, Bat- and when that goal has been obfuscated.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #111 - 02/17/20 at 22:06:52

While I don't wish to obfuscate , I would say that most of us have reached the realization that the Savage is designed on 1970's tech. Your thought of leading the breather discharge to the exhaust system is a dream , unless you intend to pump it into the exhaust , and the bike has neither the hP or the electric output to do either, nor a catalyst to run it through. Running next to the exhaust ? I doubt it would get hot enough to do more than the piston does now,  being ignition temperature has to be 3000F + .

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #112 - 02/18/20 at 20:00:26

The point isn’t “to do more than the piston does now”- it’s to avoid having the piston/cylinder do the work of burning crankcase vapors at all.   No “dream”, There’s a long history of folks eschewing the liabilities of a catalytic converter, routing crankcase vapors to the exhaust for combustion, and contriving the introduction to draw the vented gas without a pump.   I learned this with only a few minutes of investigation- thanks Google.  

My exhaust has been seen to glow from the open end, and regularly features detonated gasses belched past the cylinder.   I understand this to be characteristic Savage performance; a source other than imagination for why we can’t harness it to mitigate emissions would be welcome.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #113 - 02/18/20 at 23:56:25

Glowing exhaust isn't normal ,it's a sign that the bike is overheating from running to lean, or from lack of oil,  that and running the bike at high speed has most likely accelerated piston ring wear ,and you will probably continue to see high oil usage. I would be much more concerned with that,  than routing the crank case breather, the oil is most likely already leaving your tailpipe past your piston rings or am I being to obtuse.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #114 - 02/19/20 at 05:07:03

The topic of running hot from lean mixture  is a worthy one, as is the performance of this most common after market exhaust -but so is confronting the breather box, and considering alternatives and performance consequences of modification... and is the primary topic of this thread.  Regardless of the possible peculiarities of my bike, it seems premature to speculate insufficient temperature at the exhaust of Savages in general for employing this alternative to in-engine  emission combustion.

« Last Edit: 02/19/20 at 06:28:12 by Mavigogun »  

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #115 - 02/19/20 at 11:04:50

Don't fix what isn't broken .  DBM was forced to do something different due to his build and extremely high rpm.  You are not. End of story.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #116 - 02/28/20 at 12:15:55

CC breather

IMG_20200228_122341.jpg

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #117 - 04/21/20 at 10:33:39

Serowbot wrote on 02/28/20 at 12:15:55:
CC breather

How do you have that secured right there?

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 05:16:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Breather Blues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.