B-17G crash (Read 176 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: B-17G crash
Reply #15 - 10/06/19 at 14:53:13

I have seen many of these old gals fly, from when I was working outside AOG.....

The word I think of, is they lumber

lumber verb (1)
lum·​ber | \ ˈləm-bər  \
lumbered; lumbering\ ˈləm-​b(ə-​)riŋ  \
Definition of lumber (Entry 1 of 3)
intransitive verb

1: to move ponderously
an elephant lumbering along the road
The economy continues to lumber along.
2: RUMBLE
lumbering machines

They are not aerodynamically designed by today standards.

I will still stay with my first guess, the pilot decided to abort, had elevation to return, and maybe clipped the equipment with his LG, which caused him to veer out of control once down.

I surely don't know, but it appears the pilot had the craft under control, and was about to make a successful abort.
I can also imagine him having so many things on his mind, demanding his attention, that it could be easy to miss that obstacle.....
Trying to get her down with max runway to brake on, etc.  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/26/20 at 12:16:08

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/03/22 at 12:24:59

NTSB Final report.

https://cdn.planeandpilotmag.com/2021/04/Report_ERA20MA001_100356_4_14_2021-1...

"The pilot’s failure to properly manage the airplane’s configuration and airspeed after he shut down the No. 4 engine following its partial loss of power during the initial climb. Contributing to the accident was the pilot/maintenance director’s inadequate maintenance while the airplane was on tour, which resulted in the partial loss of power to the Nos. 3 and 4 engines; the Collings Foundation’s ineffective safety management system (SMS), which failed to identify and mitigate safety risks; and the Federal Aviation Administration’s inadequate oversight of the Collings Foundation’s SMS."

Basically they didn't maintain the engines to spec, and Mac lowered the landing gear too early creating too much drag were the immediate causes.  Lack of appropriate oversight and safety procedures was the catalyst.

Personally I don't think a crew pilot should ever be in charge of maintenance and safety.  They should collaborate, but there needs to be another set of eyes on all those mechanisms.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 02/03/22 at 13:12:33

When you want to go drive something in the sky you WANT as many eyes as possible on every mechanism upon which your life depends.
Then you Pray For Safety before you hop in.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 14:28:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › B-17G crash

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.