Send Topic Print
B-17G crash (Read 176 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

B-17G crash
10/02/19 at 21:13:04

One of the few remaining B-17's Nine-O-Nine went down today.

I am a member of the Collings Foundation group, I might have even posted about it before here.  I have been on Nine-O-Nine multiple times, it is an amazing experience.  Unfortunately the aircraft was manned with a full passenger load and 3 crew.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/10/02/world-war-ii-era...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/vintage-b-17-plane-crashes-erupts-flames...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/02/us/connecticut-plane-crash-trnd/index.html

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: B-17G crash
Reply #1 - 10/02/19 at 21:36:28

Eegore,
I am surprised that the aircraft was unable to gain altitude. It should have been able to climb easily on 3. Perhaps the pilot was unable to feather the failed engine.

So sad!

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 10/03/19 at 09:19:35

I would imagine these old gals are just slow to respond to the controls, and over-controlling is easily done.

If you go and look at some of the old vintage videos of WW2, you can see where some of them crashed upon landing, after having suffered damage to components and systems in battle.

We have some old aircraft up here, they are a thing to behold, considering the process that went into building them.

When I retired, I was given a book, with all the aircraft, and the pioneers who built them, William E. Boeing, James S. McDonnel, James H. Kindelberger, Donald W. Douglas, Howard R. Hughes Jr.

Pretty special stuff.....

Sorry for your lost Egore.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/03/19 at 09:36:40

norm92de wrote on 10/02/19 at 21:36:28:
Eegore,
I am surprised that the aircraft was unable to gain altitude. It should have been able to climb easily on 3. Perhaps the pilot was unable to feather the failed engine.

So sad!

You'd expect that in combat trim being able to take of with 9 or so, 2000 lbs of bombs and however much more in bullets that not having to carry that would be much easier in civilian life, but having a full load of passengers and all the amenities that required nowadays... a full load is just that and loss of an engine means returning with a full load of gas, not something they want to do.
Sad that this happened in both a historical sense and its cost in human life.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 10/04/19 at 16:11:46

That aircraft since it was on a local sightseeing flight would have been very light. Fuel for maybe 2hrs.

No bombs, 4500lbs. No ammunition for the multiple 50 caliber guns. No 50 caliber guns. And no fuel to go from England to Berlin and back. The people on board represented a very small load.

I cannot understand that it could not climb even with an engine out.
The NTSB will get to the bottom of it but there will be a reason that it didn't climb. Possibly misfueling? :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/04/19 at 16:28:06

Add up the start up, look stuff over, get clearance to taxi, run them up, check magnetos, and then dump fuel through those engines to get airborne,, yeah, some idiot probably got the wrong fuel in it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/05/19 at 08:14:16

The NTSB already checked the fuel and the FAA confirmed it was appropriate, its in the press release.  Wouldn't the wrong fuel effect all engines and not just one?

Typically you can smell the difference, especially in that open-air plane.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 10/05/19 at 08:33:33

Eegore...she was returning back to the airfield, right....?

The article reports 5 minutes of flight time, yes, she crashed at her departure airport, yes?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/05/19 at 08:40:17

Yes it was the departure airport.  They called in trouble with an engine and attempted to land.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #9 - 10/05/19 at 10:52:48

If the NTSB has determined that the proper fuel was loaded. That is one thing less to be investigated. Very puzzling that the aircraft couldn't climb.

Properly loaded even a two engine aircraft can climb on one engine. Talking about transport category aircraft only of course.

Light aircraft are less able to perform but if the crew does the proper calculations before take off even they can climb on one.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 10/05/19 at 12:23:17

I don't think climbing was the issue....
He knew he had a big enough problem to abort his flight, and had elevation to return safely, it was upon landing it seems that control was lost....yes?
Did he come up short?

Am I missing something?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/05/19 at 12:32:20

Quote:
Jennifer Homendy of the National Transportation Safety Board said the plane hit the instrument landing system posts and veered to the right. It crossed a grassy area then a taxiway and ran into the de-icing facility.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 10/05/19 at 17:53:12

The question is why. The captain had reportedly 7000 hours in that type of aircraft, which is an enormous number. I flew for almost 50 years and can't even come close to that number in any single type.

However, after takeoff pilots always go for altitude unless something prevents it. Altitude represents safety, in other words- options. Hitting the approach equipment was certainly not intended. My guess is that the crew were struggling to maintain altitude and failed.

The big question is why. :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/05/19 at 18:07:14

an overview with the flight path will probably tell us why.

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/06/19 at 14:31:03

One thing bout these planes if you have never seen them operate is they crawl out of the sky in comparison to modern aircraft.  The airspeed I assume was rather low limiting options even further.  Comments always heard in the observing crowd is how they look like they are moving in slow motion, or shouldn't be able to lift an aircraft that size at that speed etc.    

Its not known yet how much impacting the instrument system posts took part in the overall outcome but eventually the NTSB may figure it out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 12:26:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › B-17G crash

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.