Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Pig and Bear gun
09/29/19 at 20:44:49

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?387647-350-Legend-and-Cast-Boo...

Last year I built an AR based chipmunk gun to defend MM from the hordes of ninja chipmunks that have sworn to kill him if he goes camping anywhere near Little Switzerland in the NC mountains.

Realizing that bears and feral pigs wandering on the roads are also a threat to MM's life, I have built a more substantial gun to handle them.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?387647-350-Legend-and-Cast-Boo...

For those who noticed I have been missing for a few months ..... a reason to be absent no less.

Grin   ...... the bears and the hordes of pigs would just eat MM in his sleeping bag like a juicy yummy burrito wrap .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Pig and Bear gun
Reply #1 - 09/29/19 at 22:04:46

I had no Idea some states had come their senses about pistol bullets in rifles instead of "Mandatory Shot-Gun ONLY" .

I've been using my .357 rifle for hunting a long time and it takes dear as good as anything else.    It might be easier to hit with a more "Flat-Shooting" round.  Huh

Heck !  Deer ain't hard to kill , but ya got to hit em in a good spot --- just like anything else.  Wink

I know two fellers that hunt with big guns : 7mm mag and a 300 Win Mag.   They wound more deer than any other two people I know.  

Just goes to prove Accurate is better than Power any day of the week !  Wink

Its been my experience that a 38 Special pistol is just as deadly on dear as a 45-70.    All you have to aim the thing .   Smiley

« Last Edit: 09/30/19 at 07:37:46 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 09/29/19 at 22:11:41

So , OldFeller

Are you not even ridding your Savage for short rides any-more ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Gary RVA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/29/19 at 22:34:48

Elmer Kieth would have used a 338 Win mag,  ( I have carried one for dang near 20 years now)

a Pistol job is to get you to your rifle.... that said 357 to 44 mag will do, just remember to have on you when you need it

Rifle anything 308 or so will do fine

Let not forget the time honored 12 gauge/ 18.5 barrel slugs and buckshot still works when you need the support....

Wink

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/30/19 at 07:41:56

As you read the thread reference, you see I had considered loading a stack of 3 triple aught buckshot (after powder coating them) into the long brass 350 Legend case to make a pig exterminator round.   Each buckshot would come out of the gun spin stabilized at greater speeds than the old black powder guns could give it, so yes they could kill a pig.

Two of the bullets I cast come from the world of pistols, the gas checked 200 grain slug comes from the world of 35 Remington and is a pure rifle bullet.

MM, I'm done riding.   It hurts too much and I get frequent dizzy spells now and that isn't good when you are out on a bike.   This upcoming spring I put it in the paper and move it.  

Any of you guys want it, PM me.

« Last Edit: 10/01/19 at 12:49:49 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/30/19 at 09:16:20

Really sorry to hear you won't be riding any more Oldfeller. But it sounds like it is the right decision for you. Take care of yourself friend.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 10/01/19 at 12:39:11

This gun is a monument to selectively "buying it cheap" as the guns go for $1,499 right about now ......

Finished 350 Legend gun, sling and brass catcher all mounted.

Upper .............. $269
Lower .............. $150 includes $20 trigger spring kit and handle stop screw
Scope ...............  $79
Shipping ...........  $60
New Molds .......  $55
750 ea Brass ....  $38
Sizing stuff ........  $30
Transfer fee ......  $25
Brass Catcher ...  $20
Sling  ..................   $5

Total .................   $731

All of this goes to show it is all of the minutia, all of the little stuff that really adds up on ya ......

« Last Edit: 10/06/19 at 05:23:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/01/19 at 13:10:16

I doubt they'll even allow you in Kalifornia for even touching that.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 10/01/19 at 13:59:51

My pig gun is a Savage (Go Figure) stainless over/under 3” chambered 20ga cylinder choke with rifle sights and a 357 maximum for the top barrel. And always with a 357 magnum revolver for a side arm , just in case !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 10/01/19 at 14:03:35

Hey Kelly’s !

Did not know you had stopped riding, but understandable.  How’s your health otherwise ?
That’s a really nice firearm project.  Will you be going into more ?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 10/01/19 at 23:05:30

Lancer,

I am an advancing diabetic.  All of my various symptoms spring from that.   Eyes, hearing, balance, energy, joint pain (hips, knees, ankles, wrists, fingers) --- all of it is going slowly.

I can still enjoy building a gun and chatting with the gun people on line.   I could enjoy driving my car and meeting up with you bike guys somewhere if you ever get a larger group together again.   I could see even sponsoring a trip, providing tent/food etc. if there were any takers.  

Shame that, there are NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE who will even go on a trip any more ........

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 10/01/19 at 23:11:41

Versy,

I got a 3 ball load in mind that will put 3 each 000 buckshot on a string from this mold after powder coating the string of 3 ......

..... into the long long 350 Legend case.  It would be lumpy, but can be smoothed back to spec using a partial insertion into the 350 Legend finished sizing die.

What would California say to me double tapping a BG and hitting him Six Times ???

I call it the evil  Smiley AR load ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 10/09/19 at 18:42:41

OldFeller, sad to hear you have to stop riding, old age catches up to us all.
I'm over at castboolits also as Eddie2002 and hang out in the muzzleloader forum.
 Spent some time working on light cast plinker loads for my military surplus. They work great out to about 50yds and cost about 10 cents a round.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/10/19 at 22:22:28

Well, Amazon has stock again for $46 and I am still curious.  So I ordered one that will be here Sunday by 8:00 PM.

The Evil Smiley AR round may yet live .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 10/10/19 at 23:43:46

How many rounds can the gun in the picture shoot from one magazine?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:21:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pig and Bear gun

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.