Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thundercone / Thunderheader exhaust on Savage (Read 77 times)
INTVELD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thundercone / Thunderheader exhaust on Savage
09/22/19 at 09:51:00

Hi Everybody!

This morning I woke up from a crazy dream, that had me wanting to install a Thunderheader exhaust, a Thundercone Slip-on to be more specific, on my Savage. After browsing the internet I've found not a single image or article of someone having done this before. So it might not even be possible at all.

The manufacturer states that these Thundercones are to be fitted on Harley's: Dyna Low Rider - FXDL 2014-2017 & Dyna Switchback - FLD 2012-2016..

A buddy of mine already told me; "It ain't gonna work Bud, because these Thundercones & Thunderheaders are built for V-twin 2 to 1 type engines and mufflers. Your single 650cc engine wouldn't be able to cope with the built up back pressure of that Thundercones internal design.."

He might have a hella good point there. But still; I have to ask about your opinion on this topic. What you guys & gals think? Go or No Go?

Thanks & kind regards from The Netherlands!!

Thundercone.png
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Thundercone / Thunderheader exhaust on Savage
Reply #1 - 09/22/19 at 10:34:25

So a v twin is supposed to exhale through it, but a 650 single will be jammed up..

I'm going with
Not.

Not saying it's the best idea, but being too restrictive isn't what I'd be concerned with.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #2 - 09/22/19 at 10:55:07

I'm with you on this one JOG. If it was too restrictive for a 40 cu in single then it would have to be way too restrictive for two 40 cu in cylinders.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/22/19 at 11:00:07

I'd wanna know header diameter, and I'd be concerned with so little restriction that torque would suffer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 09/22/19 at 14:55:37

The unit you are looking at replaces the stock muffler on a 2 into 1 exhaust system, so the inlet to the muffler is probably at least 2" ID.  I would guess more likely 2-1/2" ID.  You should be able to adapt it to the stock header without too much trouble.  A quick inquirey with the vendor might get you a concrete answer about the ID.

Thunderheader exhaust systems work really great on Harleys.  However, they are mighty loud.  Since you intend to use it on a single cylinder, it will most likely be even louder.  If noise is a concern, this might not be the muffler for you.  If you don't care about noise, have at it.

If you are running the stock carburetor, you shouldn't have too much trouble tuning.  The thundercone muffler will most certainly flow a lot better than the stock muffler, but it won't be anything like a straight pipe.  Exhaust reversion shouldn't be much of an issue.  The stock carb is very forgiving.  Just make sure you have a good selection of main and pilot jets and some #4 washers (or equivalent) to adjust the needle in the slide.

Of utmost importance, if you install the Thundercone muffler, make sure you do a post with lots of pictures and an evaluation of how it works.  Gotta share.  Cool

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 09/22/19 at 15:03:04

The simplicity of the Dyna shouldn't be ignored.  A megaphone may look cooler, but why mess with what works ? Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/22/19 at 17:26:19

Ryca pipe, custom header (copy of Ryca header but with a bend so the exhaust outlet isn't pointed at the shock):

php48yS1FPM_001.jpg
  IP Logged
INTVELD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/23/19 at 10:06:53

Thanks for all interesting replies!

In reaction to DragBikeMike; I've reached out to Thunderheader to ask for that diameter of the slip-on side of the Thundercone. I reckon I can make it all fit snug and make it work.

IP Logged
INTVELD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/23/19 at 10:12:25

This is the pipe I'm running now, by the way. It came from Blue Collar Bobbers. I really enjoyed it very much. Together with my performance Spectre filter and carb screws adjustments, my Savage runs like a charm and the power gains where significant. But hey.. A few years went by now and I want to switch it up a bit. And also; this straightpipe is super loud.
Not the nice type of loud; but really sharp, high pitched loud.. With this Thundercone swap I'm hoping to cut that sharp tone out and just have a deep thunder-thud going.. Wink

Schermafbeelding_2019-09-18_om_12_35_37.png
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 09/23/19 at 10:50:21

H-D  Dyna muffler is everything you want. 

Nice whitewalls where did you find them? tire ,size , make ? or are they port-o-walls?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/22/24 at 23:03:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thundercone / Thunderheader exhaust on Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.