Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas leak/stalling problem (Read 107 times)
Sceprent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gas leak/stalling problem
09/21/19 at 21:51:19

I'll have to see if I remember the sticky. So I have a 03 Surf Green Suzuki Savage, no mods done stock it seems I’ve owned it for almost a month. I have no motorcycle mechanic experience, I do some work on my car and truck but still a beginner. I have basic tools.

So my problem is a triple attack. I let it warmup and at first I wasn’t sure. But it definitely stalls on me sometimes. Today it wouldn’t after sitting for a hour unless I gave it some throttle. If I give it enough to stay above normal idle it will stay running. However I soon ended up with a puddle of gas under me. I probably held the starter for about 6 seconds off 2 tries to start. I looked over the hoses from the fuel switch and such and see no leak from any of that. The leak seems to be on the chassis near the very bottom so I’m guessing carb. It’s not just the outlet hose thingy.

Stalling happens about 5 minutes into a ride sometimes but also just suddenly stalls after a decent amount of ride time say 30minutes and just suddenly shuts off.

The other thing which seems common is the pop pop of the backfiring downshifting combo. Any time I stop from about 40mph it backfires. Also when I shut it off it often gives a pop.

Sorry if this is something really basic I tried searching and will some more tomorrow.

Oil level is good according to side gauge. Just filled with gas and I top off to the rim. I’ve done nothing yet but “it had a tuneup this year”.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Gas leak/stalling problem
Reply #1 - 09/21/19 at 22:04:13

Just filled with gas and I top off to the rim.

To the rim?
As in
The tank won't hold any more?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sceprent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/22/19 at 13:03:46

Yeah it was supposed to say brim.

IP Logged
Sceprent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/22/19 at 14:34:39

I’m wondering if I fouled my plug with the gas overflow which would have come out the relief hose on the carb? And possibly a bad petcock then? It dies when I slow down which was the initial problem, IE coming to a stop slowing down for a sharp turn. So with throttle it will live without it stalls.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 09/22/19 at 15:12:44

Adjust the idle on the left of the carb a bit higher. That stopped the stalling problem when I braked at a light.
Your other problems have all been discussed/solved by members here.
Search on google is easier than searching on this forum, and you'll still be referred to an answer here. Life is good!
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/22/19 at 15:13:36

You WAY overfilled it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sceprent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/22/19 at 16:44:21

I think it’s safe to say this gas soaked air filter which is obviously clean w only 1900 miles on the bike has nothing to do with it. Full service tune up this year my a...butt.

Anyone want to guess if this is a 16 year old air filter? Wow.

IP Logged
Sceprent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/22/19 at 17:14:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/22/19 at 15:13:36:
You WAY overfilled it.

Wow newbies then! I didn’t think it was possible to overfill unless you literally overfill it which you would of course know. I’d better search the manual then.

IP Logged
Sceprent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/22/19 at 21:03:24

So what is the correct arbitrary way to fill a motorcycle if not an inch or two before it starts spilling out all over the place? I would say WAY overfilled would be gas spilling all over the place with the bike standing straight up. The manual says nothing about overfilling the tank that I could find. There’s obvious overfilling and then there’s what you’re saying which I don’t know about.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/21/19 at 22:04:13:
Just filled with gas and I top off to the rim.

To the rim?
As in
The tank won't hold any more?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/22/19 at 21:48:33

It's generally accepted it's full when you've filled it to the bottom of the splash shield, or that tube that hangs down from the top.

WWW   IP Logged
Sceprent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/27/19 at 16:04:39

So I’m wondering two things. My inclination is the float must be stuck and gas is just pouring out. Of course it only leaks when running. Considering cleaning the Carburetor this weekend.

But the thing is the post about the Petcock failing says that it causes gas to leak out of the overflow hose too.

So what are the symptoms of each? Same thing? Like if I do the test to see if it’s the petcock how does that tell me if the floats not just stuck? I did take off the spring covered vacuum hose and there was no gas in there.

IP Logged
Sceprent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/28/19 at 14:11:10

verslagen1 wrote on 09/22/19 at 21:48:33:
It's generally accepted it's full when you've filled it to the bottom of the splash shield, or that tube that hangs down from the top.

Well yeah... if you fill much past that obviously when you put the cap in it would start spilling out of the tank. So how is that way overfilled lmao?? You think that rather than going for a ride after filling up and not being able to start again after that that I filled until gas was pouring out of the tank at the gas station then came to the forum to ask why gas is pouring all over the ground as I fountain it out of the tank xD. Lol.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 09/28/19 at 14:48:38

Sceprent wrote on 09/27/19 at 16:04:39:
So I’m wondering two things. My inclination is the float must be stuck and gas is just pouring out. Of course it only leaks when running. Considering cleaning the Carburetor this weekend.

But the thing is the post about the Petcock failing says that it causes gas to leak out of the overflow hose too.

So what are the symptoms of each? Same thing? Like if I do the test to see if it’s the petcock how does that tell me if the floats not just stuck? I did take off the spring covered vacuum hose and there was no gas in there.

With the bike running, failing petcock isn't an issue unless it's leaking into the vac line.
If it's leaking out the vent lines, then it's a bad float valve.  but even a bad valve should regulate the flow somewhat.  check the valve for any klingons, hair sometimes gets caught in the screen and will keep the valve open.  if the rubber tip has a groove then it's time to replace.

WWW   IP Logged
Sceprent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/07/19 at 16:38:11

FIXED Raptor petcock saves it again.

Stumbling engine and stalls withgas coming out of carburetor-breather tube when restarted w a bit of throttle applied

Cleaned carb. Starts up with some throttle. Leaked gas for a second then stopped ran fine 20 mins then died wont start without throttle. If you let go of the throttle it dies.

Messed with throttle and fuel/air screw rode for 5 minutes, it bogged down til the point it lost power and then it died completely and wouldn’t start again.

Pulled plug, decently fouled and black. Still wont start w new one. Checked battery. 11.30 volts. About 8-9 when firing w the starter.

Fuel comes out of fuel line whenever I shift the tank around (run/fuel position). Also when fuel line removed from carb it only lets gas out on Reserve. No gas comes out on Prime. That may be a clue. Ordered Raptor 660 Yamaha 5LP245000100 Fuel thingy Assembly

Put in new petcock, cleaned carburetor. Changed oil + filter and air filter. Pulled plug out and used insulated tool to check for spark as well as remove plug and look/smell for gas after start attempts. No gas. somewhere in the process the plunger got stuck. The tiny little rod attached to the float. One post snapped in the removal process, it’s possible to thing shifted after a day .003 of an inch it’s very tight. Also possible that it was put back together w the plunger in place dry so it was stuck and died once the existing gas was gone.

Anyhow the petcock was the reason gas just kept spilling out the overflow. Possibly that plus the awful 16 year old filter was the reason for my backfiring. I took the air/fuel screw to 2 turns from completely screwed in and adjusted it in a tiny bit to take out some richness, it still gives a little pop when I shut it off, but no more backfiring downshifting to a stoplight.

It’s running great and idles great now, I set the idle to just above 1000rpm. I’ve read 500-1000 but not sure why as 500 seems way too low and the manual says 1000-1200 so I went with that. Hope this helps somebody else!

Oh and a special mention to the person who told me to put air in my tires to fix a gunked carb + leaking petcock + bad filters. That was helpful.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 10/08/19 at 05:28:44

Check your oil before you ride.  Failing petcock and stuck float needles often lead to a crankcase full of gas and that is NOT good. As a matter of fact, it's VERY BAD!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:20:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas leak/stalling problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.