Motorcycle or Kitchen? (Read 107 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Motorcycle or Kitchen?
09/21/19 at 16:59:52

During the spring bad things happened inside the walls. Insurance was called. Men came and tore out most of the kitchen. At the time I had plans to buy a dual sport bike. Insurance offered up the generous sum of $800. The plumbing bill was $7000. The 1st plumber screwed up royally so we've had them come back like 5 times to fix the mistakes. We talked to a public adjuster. Now he avoids our calls and insurance says he never gave them his revised estimates. Insurance doesn't want to pay anything now.

So with much sweat and literally back breaking toil I set out to rebuild. I managed to hurt my back for real and have been seeing the doctors ever since. After x-rays and tests and visit after visit the prognosis was...... Wait for it......

I have a bad back!

The things my medical coverage doesn't feel like covering are trickling into the mailbox daily.

That dual sport - not happening. I could have bought 3 of them used or 1 and a half new for what the remaining kitchen work took out of my pockets. I have pains where I didn't know I could feel pain. And I absolutely loathe insurance companies and public adjusters. And really don't want to set foot in the kitchen ever again.

But here it is at long last. This 1st picture is after I cut out all the smashed through drywall and removed the drop ceiling. The whole corner is gone, walls, counter, sink etc.

20190626_1703311.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Motorcycle or Kitchen?
Reply #1 - 09/21/19 at 17:04:22

Here's today. I put the range hood up along with diamond plate on the wall behind the oven. Alls left is trim and a backsplash.

20190921_1920131.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2 - 09/21/19 at 17:06:06

So I chose kitchen this time.
Knowing what I know now I'll be choosing motorcycle next time around. Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/21/19 at 19:16:18

You know they make backpacking camping equipment, right?
You can carry your own kitchen.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #4 - 09/21/19 at 20:04:51

I'm just going to stop eating. It's a vulgar habit that eventually kills you. No need for a kitchen then and plenty of money for dual sport bikes!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 09/21/19 at 23:59:35

Does the kitchen inclube the back door to the house?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/22/19 at 04:49:44

I hope you have changed insurance companies.

Have you spoken with an attorney about the issue?

I would think the insurance company would still owe you the $800 at a minimum.......and the crappy plumber should not have been paid for his "do overs".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 09/22/19 at 07:37:39

Dave wrote on 09/22/19 at 04:49:44:
I hope you have changed insurance companies.

Have you spoken with an attorney about the issue?

I would think the insurance company would still owe you the $800 at a minimum.......and the crappy plumber should not have been paid for his "do overs".

Of course we spoke to a lawyer. We were told that the insurance company has a year to reach their determination. After that we can take them to court. But if the condition of the property changes in that time it invalidates the claim. Essentially we'd have to live with the kitchen all torn up like the demo company left it for an entire year and as long as the court case takes which could have been 6 months to a year depending on if the insurance company files an appeal which is normal practice when they lose a case.

Living without a functional kitchen and with holes through the party wall into the next door neighbors house for potentially 2 years is not an option.

The lawyer didn't comment on the fly by night public adjuster because we never received a full copy of our agreement with them.

As for the plumber we are still fighting with them for an itemized bill. But they couldn't charge us for the repairs to the repairs because we already had the loan drawn up by then.

For fixing the walls and ceiling I called more than a dozen general contractors and got quotes from $800 to $2800 for installation of 128 square feet of drywall. That's an entire 4 sheets of wallboard.
In the end I managed to get a neighbor to help me with the ceiling and did the rest myself. I just couldn't believe what a ripoff these contractors are.

Anyway if you ever need a public adjuster do NOT call Zenith.

If you ever need a plumber do NOT call Len the Plumber.

There's my wisdom for the day.

And yes we're ditching the homeowners insurance for another company.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 09/22/19 at 14:54:00

I'll quit whining about my keys!!!!
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 09/22/19 at 18:44:53

As a plumber most of my life, except my stint at Boeing, I must ask, what did the plumber do wrong?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 09/23/19 at 07:52:42

So it's not just me?  I have been at this kitchen project too...but not because of an insurance claim.  Wifey wanted a new kitchen for 6+ years so we tore out two walls to open it up, and of late my project has been stripping tile floors, re-running electrical and plumbing, and this weekend I got drywall back up and have to put a 2nd coat on tonight to get ready for cabinet installers later this week...then I get to lay ~400+ sqft of hardwood floor.  

After I get this project finished I am throwing away all of my carpentry tools. Huh

20190919_075920.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 09/23/19 at 07:53:04

drywall up

20190922_202646.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 09/23/19 at 13:33:59

No...I've been doing mine for years  Grin

I just finally got done with the tile on the back-splash, which is pretty much  the whole kitchen except behind the reefer.

I did floors, from vinyl to ceramic tile, cabinets, electrical, etc.....
Just have to paint now, then off to my bathroom next.

I will get it all done just in time to sell  Huh

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #13 - 09/24/19 at 15:51:41

raydawg wrote on 09/22/19 at 18:44:53:
As a plumber most of my life, except my stint at Boeing, I must ask, what did the plumber do wrong?

If you must know. In addition to replacing the leaking pipe we chose to have all the old copper replaced so as to eliminate ticking timebombs all over the house.
Anyway the pipes for the bathroom upstairs above the kitchen were run below the drywall studs for the ceiling. Granted we didn't tell the guy we were ditching the kitchens drop ceiling but still it's a big zoning violation regardless and he should have known better.

The sewer stack was also changed to PVC instead of old cast iron. This is inspired by the aftermath of our next neighbors stack cracking and leaking into our basement last winter. The guy cut ours about 4' off the basement floor and ran PVC up from there. Except the PVC was the wrong size to mate up with the old pipe so he cemented the joint between the two. It took all of 2 days for the cement to crack and leak.

He removed the old ball valves for the boiler and replaced them with ....you guessed it. Gate valves.
He removed the old ball valves from the lines to the two outside spickets and replaced them with.....
Nothing! We had no shut offs for freeze prone outdoor plumbing!

Many electrical grounds were attached to our copper plumbing. All of which were just left hanging after the copper was gone. He didn't bother to even warn us or recommend calling an electrician.

He damaged the woodwork in the doorway to the kitchen with a tool hanging from his belt and pretended like I hadn't just watched him do it.

What a piece of work this guy was. So that's just the short list....

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #14 - 09/24/19 at 16:11:27

stewmills wrote on 09/23/19 at 07:52:42:
So it's not just me?  I have been at this kitchen project too...but not because of an insurance claim.  Wifey wanted a new kitchen for 6+ years so we tore out two walls to open it up, and of late my project has been stripping tile floors, re-running electrical and plumbing, and this weekend I got drywall back up and have to put a 2nd coat on tonight to get ready for cabinet installers later this week...then I get to lay ~400+ sqft of hardwood floor.  

After I get this project finished I am throwing away all of my carpentry tools. Huh

Crikey at least I didn't have to worry about hardwood flooring.
I'm taking all the tools I bought for this job to the veterans charities at my local Greendrop. I'd like it if a vet could use them to find work.
And this is the last time I tackle any big house project.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 05:44:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Motorcycle or Kitchen?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.