Send Topic Print
Engine swap (Read 37 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine swap
09/21/19 at 11:33:54

Hello again,

I post sporadically but only bc I travel so much and usually only have a few months per yr where I actually get to work om or ride my bike.

So-an update:
Last time I was here I'd just replaced the clutch plates, bought a used clutch pack but only switched out the plates, pin, and cover bc I didn't want to risk losing the oil pin.
I also replaced the cam chain tensioner, pegs, and battery.
I cleaned the carb, added some exhaust wrap, new grips.
Basically gave her a mini makeover.

But all this was for naught as during my initial dig into the clutch/crankcase cover, I had about an inch of water that had been sitting for God knows how long-at least a few months. As such, I had a knocking that neither i(novice) nor the master mechanics at HD could isolate without the recommendation to either ride it til the engine blew or pull the engine and attempt a rebuild.

I eventually got it running and riding a bit w the knocking and had it transported home. I attempted one five mile ride and couldn't get it iver 25mph. I rode it to a trusted friend's place and it has sat there ever since.

Dave, I believe suggested that the carb hose was improperly connected which is possible as I was rushing to get her buttoned up while HD was in the mood to move it for free but as I am currently in VA and it's waiting to be picked up from VA, I was looking for some practical advice on one, swapping out the engine-ie what tools/equipment I'll need and two, taking it somewhere for diagnostics and what would be an acceptable price for said diagnostics.
I've done most of the work myself w the advice and occasional supervision of the HD guys. I just wna know if this is something I can/ should attempt on my own and what I'm looking at in costs.
I maybe spent 400$ on the recent round of parts, maybe and that's only bc I replaced the clutch and tire. They were the most expensive.
Any and all help appreciated.
I've been bumping heads against this bike for the better part of five yrs and have only gotten one long road trip out of it.
I've looked into other bikes but if I can get an engine for 500$ and ride, I'd consider that the better deal.

Thanks again,

Jjthejett

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Engine swap
Reply #1 - 09/21/19 at 11:39:03

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home