FLASHBACK....... (Read 21 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
FLASHBACK.......
09/18/19 at 21:27:21

It's sorta like how the border/immigration was a problem for Obama, but now its not......

Or Trumps fake news charge as stupid.....

But then again:

Obama is convinced Fox News is all-powerful

by Becket Adams

December 01, 2016 04:44 PM

President Obama may also be overestimating the network's overall reach and the size of its audience.

In life, there are a few constants: The sun rises in the East, objects fall and President Obama has an outsized idea of Fox News' reach.

The commander in chief kvetched in a recent Rolling Stone interview about the 2016 election, and blamed former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's loss to President-elect Trump in part on the prevalence of right-leaning media and fake news.

"[T]here is a cohort of working-class white voters that voted for me in sizable numbers, but that we've had trouble getting to vote for Democrats in midterm elections. In this election, [they] turned out in huge numbers for Trump," Obama said.

"And I think that part of it has to do with our inability, our failure, to reach those voters effectively. Part of it is Fox News in every bar and restaurant in big chunks of the country, but part of it is also Democrats not working at a grassroots level, being in there, showing up, making arguments," he added.

Whether the network is really playing "in every bar and restaurant in big chunks of the country" is a question that might require a national bar tour. But the president's suggestion that Fox News played a significant role in turning voters away from Democratic lawmakers and ideas is not just a one-off. He has been beating this drum for years.

In 2008, for example, Obama complained during the general election that Fox News was singlehandedly responsible for giving him a bad image, and for making voters think he was out of touch with average voters.

"I am convinced that if there were no Fox News, I might be two or three points higher in the polls," Obama said. "If I were watching Fox News, I wouldn't vote for me, right? Because the way I'm portrayed 24/7 is as a freak! I am the latte-sipping, New York Times-reading, Volvo-driving, no-gun-owning, effete, politically correct, arrogant liberal. Who wants somebody like that?"

He went on that year to win 53 percent of the popular vote and 365 electoral votes.

Later, during an interview in 2014 with Bill O'Reilly, Obama accused his host and the Fox network of drumming up anger over " phony scandals," including when the IRS admitted to targeting conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status.

"These kinds of things keep on surfacing, in part, because you and your TV station will promote them," Obama said.

In 2015, the president blamed Fox News for supposedly encouraging voters to resent the poor.

"I have to say, if you watch Fox News on a regular basis, it's a constant menu. They will find folks that make me mad. I don't know where they find them," Obama said, adding the network has contributed directly to. "The effort to suggest that the poor are sponges, leeches, don't want to work, are lazy, are undeserving."

"They're all like, 'I don't want to work, I just want a free Obamaphone, or whatever. That becomes a narrative that gets worked up," he added. "And very rarely do you hear an interview of a waitress, which is much more typical, who is raising two kids and doing everything right but still can't pay the bills."

These are just a few examples.

The president is not wrong to say Fox News has been deeply critical of his administration. Indeed, beyond the rational and legitimate criticisms, many of the network's personalities have also lodged extremely silly and sometimes flat-out incorrect complaints against the president and his cabinet.

But Obama may also be overestimating the network's overall reach and the size of its audience.

Yes, Fox is the king of cable news. But when compared to the kind of numbers enjoyed by broadcast television, one is reminded cable is in a very different and much smaller league.

Also, for Fox News to be capable of the sort of reach the president suggested in his Rolling Stone interview, it would have to overpower and outperform competing messages from other newsrooms and politically active sources. That's just generally speaking.

For the 2016 election specifically, Fox News would have had to work against media's and pop-culture's unified message of, "Clinton OK, Trump bad."

If Fox News really played the role Obama suggested it did, that means the network managed somehow to sway voters better than the combined effort from ABC, CBS and NBC News, CNN, MSNBC, the New York Times, the Washington Post, USA Today, the Los Angeles Time, the Chicago Tribune, periodicals, magazines, individual bloggers, movies, books, music, television shows, etc.

That's a bit difficult to believe, even if other conservative-leaning news and entertainment group joined Fox News in fiercely criticizing Clinton and the Obama administration she was working to succeed.

The president isn't wrong when he suggests Fox is popular, and he wisely leaves himself a little wiggle room by saying the network's reach is "part of" the overall explanation for Democratic failures in 2016.

But is Fox News' popularity really great enough that it deserves all these repeated mentions from the president of the United States?

I just love it....TOTAL RECALL  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Did you just LOVE this one:

during an interview in 2014 with Bill O'Reilly, Obama accused his host and the Fox network of drumming up anger over " phony scandals," including when the IRS admitted to targeting conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status.

Which proved TRUE unlike the results of Mueller/Russia scandal    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Gee, and to think I didn't like Trump before he ran for president, because he is a blowhard.....
But now the left and libbies are giving him fodder because they just can't get him out of their heads, and are quickly losing touch on reality....
That I am finding maybe this chump is entitled to bragging rights....  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: FLASHBACK.......
Reply #1 - 09/19/19 at 06:15:57

LOL - yeah, that's really "blaming all his problems"on fox.... seems you missed the part about the lack of grassroots support and pretty much a crappy campaign by Clinton.

Not sure what you find so funny about this.

What Obama said is spot on.

As far as libs losing touch with reality... seriously?

One only needs to look at trump's twitter feed to see someone out of touch with reality.

But hey, you do you and enjoy your time on the dark side.  YOu know, you and your fellow Christians that now, somehow, love trump....  Huh

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 09/19/19 at 06:26:54

T And T Garage wrote on 09/19/19 at 06:15:57:

Who said:
“Hell yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47,”

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/19/19 at 06:40:20

MnSpring wrote on 09/19/19 at 06:26:54:
T And T Garage wrote on 09/19/19 at 06:15:57:

Who said:
“Hell yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47,”

I think it was Beto.  I agree for the most part.  Look at my posts on another thread.

ut I get it, the right wingers are snowflakes that don't want anyone to even mention restricting ownership of any gun, anytime.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:40:49

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › FLASHBACK.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.