Send Topic Print
Phone charging (Read 134 times)
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Phone charging
09/16/19 at 21:14:49

I have an idea to fit a cigarette lighter socket under my seat and wire it to the third position on the ignition switch and disconnect the tail light from that circuit as I dont use that facility

I go motorbike camping at times and it would be good to be able to use this socket to  charge my phone off the bike battery through a 12v usb charger.

Is this a practical idea that wont discharge the battery too much overnight?

I figure I should be able to do this work myself.

I think I could also use that socket to plug in a small maintenance charger from the mains at home.
Any advice welcome

Hiko   IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Re: Phone charging
Reply #1 - 09/17/19 at 05:29:39

I would get one of those USB power outlets and wire it so it is only on when the key is on.

This one uses the same standard plug as many of the trickle chargers.
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOPOWER-MP0609A-Motorcycle-Charger-Adapter/dp/B01DYE...

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 09/17/19 at 07:07:24

As long as you have it wired to a circuit that is only hot when the key is on, there shouldn't be any parisitic drain to drain the battery dead overnight.  However, if you plan to use this method to charge your phone while the bike is just sitting there and not running, personally I wouldn't. Sitting there with the key on WILL drain your battery since it is not being recharged.  Once you lose ~2 volts, it will drop below the level needed to spark and your bike will not crank.

Safer bet is to just buy a $10 power pack if all you need is an emergency charge....or plug in your phone to your new plug and ride around while it is charging.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/17/19 at 07:51:02

GOF wrote on 09/17/19 at 05:29:39:
I would get one of those USB power outlets and wire it so it is only on when the key is on.

This one uses the same standard plug as many of the trickle chargers.
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOPOWER-MP0609A-Motorcycle-Charger-Adapter/dp/B01DYE...

I have that exact one and it works great.  Highly recommend.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #4 - 09/20/19 at 00:52:35

Thank you everyone for your replies I did not realise there were so many options.   In the end I wired in a cigarette lighter socket as this will accept the car phone charger I had.
 I tried to wire it in to the ignition switch at the beginning  That proved to be a mistake as the screw heads on the switch at the back immediately snapped off as Mr Suzuki had set the 3mm screws in loctite as a permanent closure.
I managed to get the remains out by removing all the plastic parts and heating the body with a heat gun until  the loctite let go and allowed me to assemble again with new screws.
I wired the new socket through a fuse direct to the battery after that.
 I need to remember to only charge when I am riding

Hiko   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 09/20/19 at 06:40:53

Hiko,

What I did (with the referral from MMRanch here) is tap my charger into the headlight hot wire inside the headlight bucket with a crimp splitter and just ran the ground wire to the frame...I grounded to one of the horn bolts.  I still installed an inline fuse, and if I remember correctly my USB outlet came with a built in inline fuse.

This way you know you are pulling power from a larger line (headlight hot line) and not some other small wire, and it doesn't take power unless the key is ON.  This alleviates any potential for draining the battery.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 09/20/19 at 20:45:33

Let us be careful of our wording here   ,I wouldn't be charging the phone with the "key on" with out the bike running .That could ruin the TCI ignition .   Using the third key position overnight ? How much power does the phone draw?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/20/19 at 22:57:43

Why bother with going through the ignition?
I'd put a pigtail on the battery for charging and hang a cell phone charging wire on , too. You can put a switch in it if you want, but I don't see why.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 09/21/19 at 08:33:23

I'm with you Justin. K.I.S.S. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 09/21/19 at 15:39:11

No ,simple is leaving the phone home , and enjoying , just you and the bike.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ash19
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/23/19 at 08:03:42

I've bought a marine cigarette lighter charger and I'm planning on putting a switch in so it'll only be on when I need it, but don't have to mess with the ignition.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #11 - 09/23/19 at 19:28:29

Ash19 wrote on 09/23/19 at 08:03:42:
I've bought a marine cigarette lighter charger and I'm planning on putting a switch in so it'll only be on when I need it, but don't have to mess with the ignition.

Here is what I finished up with  Phone goes in jacket pocket when riding and plugs in to car charger through marine  cigarette lighter socket mounted under rear of tank . Socket wired through fuse direct to battery and also accepts trickle charger
Works fine

IMG_3453_001.JPG
Hiko   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:40:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Phone charging

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.