Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
High rev during idle after battery change (Read 220 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: High rev during idle after battery change
Reply #15 - 09/16/19 at 10:34:24

AGree with versy...that air/mix screw looks super-far out.  You can remove it all of the way and inspect it for damage, etc.  Here is what is should look like and also this is the order that things go back in.

IMG_20161006_182228_005.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
AshBrick
YaBB Newbies

"Rule #76: No
excuses. Play like a
champion."

TN
Reply #16 - 09/17/19 at 13:48:55

Thank you guys for all the help! I really appreciate all of the input and your patience as I try to figure this out!

I took my air/mix screw out after removing the carb and found that there is NO spring  Angry and the little black rubber washer was stuck in there. Could the lack of a spring be my issue?

I checked my slide and it's good -- mostly covering the opening and sounds like it has good suction when I lift it.

air_mix_screw.JPG

2003 Suzuki Savage LS650, first bike as of Sept. 2019

Modifications: Raptor petcock (not done by me)
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #17 - 09/17/19 at 16:30:17

You need to put a new spring on it. The spring provides friction to prevent it from moving on its own.

Ron Ayers will probably have it but you may have to buy an assembly.

« Last Edit: 09/17/19 at 21:25:04 by norm92de »  

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #18 - 09/18/19 at 06:56:10

LOOK closely.  My image is the exact stock part from my bike. A 2008.  You have a 2003.  If I am not mistaken the carbs on these years are the same and your air/mix screw should be the same. Online parts reference says they are the same part #.

I am curious if the previous owner replaced this with some aftermarket part that is causing you this headache.  Looks highly suspicious to me.  A lot of times people strip out the brass head on these screws when removing the brass plug (they drill into the screw head) and if that happened, that would be a reason someone would have thrown something different in there that looked like it fit but may be slightly different.

norm92de wrote on 09/17/19 at 16:30:17:
You need to put a new spring on it.

If you liked it then you shoulda put a spring on it.  Sorry...couldn't resist. Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 09/19/19 at 17:06:07

There are no nuts on the bottom of the throttle cable to loosen! You may be adjusting the decompression cable ,  ! make sure that the hard bend(in the outside ) in the cable is fully seated in the round  recess(about 1/2 "deep) , just above the carb throttle shaft,  otherwise the cable won't allow the carb to fully close -high idle!)  the only adjustment in the throttle cable is in the outside cable ,up near the hand lever .

« Last Edit: 09/20/19 at 20:52:24 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
AshBrick
YaBB Newbies

"Rule #76: No
excuses. Play like a
champion."

TN
Reply #20 - 09/25/19 at 10:39:34

I finally got the bike running! It was the air/mix screw. I had to order a whole new set with the right screw (the one in there was definitely the wrong one, so good call!).

I'll check out the throttle situation...  Undecided

Thank you everyone for helping me problem-solve!  Smiley Felt good to finally ride! Cool

2003 Suzuki Savage LS650, first bike as of Sept. 2019

Modifications: Raptor petcock (not done by me)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 12:31:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › High rev during idle after battery change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.