Send Topic Print
Well that's a bummer (Read 265 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Well that's a bummer
Reply #45 - 09/18/19 at 10:09:23

LOL - "let me off the hook"?  What you actually mean,  is that you'll concede that I'm right.  Thanks.

I was letting you off the hook because you have a child-like(AOC) level of comprehension on this topic.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 09/18/19 at 10:11:32

WebsterMark wrote on 09/18/19 at 10:09:23:
LOL - "let me off the hook"?  What you actually mean,  is that you'll concede that I'm right.  Thanks.

I was letting you off the hook because you have a child-like(AOC) level of comprehension on this topic.

I accept your concession, mark - thanks.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 09/18/19 at 10:26:59

Hey mark - um, ALL cars, whether gas or electric will need these metals.  Duh.  So here's an idea - let's use a fuel in those cars that DOESN'T require more fossil fuels.

Yeah - again, see above....

This is my point, you're world revolves around driving a car or getting on a bus or plane now and then. You're not realizing the energy required to power the infrastructure for all those items to be possible. And you're not considering the energy needs of the near future. At least 25% of the world's population do not have access to electricity.

There are numerous write ups on this topic and one I read recently was pointing out something related to your powered flight to moon analogy.

The maximum energy efficiency that can be captured by wind blade is 60%. That's it, can't go any higher. Today's blades are at 45%. The maximum energy for photovoltaic in solar panels is 33%. That's it. Right now we're at 26%.

Yea, we went to the moon in 70 years. And we can go to a few planets over a very long period of time, but that's it. We'll never, ever travel to a star. We simply cannot travel fast enough. There is a limit that we'll reach and that will be it.

The fuel to power a rocket into orbit weights many times more than the rocket itself meaning we have nearly, if not already, reached the limit of what we can launch into orbit.

Now, apply that to energy generation using wind and solar. It can't be done.

Physics are a b!itch but they are what they are.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 09/18/19 at 11:46:35

WebsterMark wrote on 09/18/19 at 10:26:59:
Hey mark - um, ALL cars, whether gas or electric will need these metals.  Duh.  So here's an idea - let's use a fuel in those cars that DOESN'T require more fossil fuels.

Yeah - again, see above....

This is my point, you're world revolves around driving a car or getting on a bus or plane now and then. You're not realizing the energy required to power the infrastructure for all those items to be possible. And you're not considering the energy needs of the near future. At least 25% of the world's population do not have access to electricity.

There are numerous write ups on this topic and one I read recently was pointing out something related to your powered flight to moon analogy.

The maximum energy efficiency that can be captured by wind blade is 60%. That's it, can't go any higher. Today's blades are at 45%. The maximum energy for photovoltaic in solar panels is 33%. That's it. Right now we're at 26%.

Yea, we went to the moon in 70 years. And we can go to a few planets over a very long period of time, but that's it. We'll never, ever travel to a star. We simply cannot travel fast enough. There is a limit that we'll reach and that will be it.

The fuel to power a rocket into orbit weights many times more than the rocket itself meaning we have nearly, if not already, reached the limit of what we can launch into orbit.

Wow, you are so clueless on this mark...

Now - here's my point that you missed completely.

The example I give about going to the Moon has NOTHING to do with rocket velocity or distance or anything of the sort.

It's about the technology that we developed - solely to beat the Russians - to get to the Moon.  The advancements in computing, fuel cells, robotics, communications, etc.  In those 7 decades we traveled not only to the moon, but also into a new era - thanks solely to the practically unlimited budget of Nasa to defeat the Russians during the Cold War.

Like I said - 100% political.  That's a fact.

As to your failed point about energy requirements - how is it you don't understand that any - repeat ANY type of transportation requires manufacturing.  In essence, the SAME manufacturing goes into an electric car as does a gasoline one.  The same.

Further, the electric car will never directly burn a fossil fuel, use any engine oil or require filters over its lifespan (which is getting longer every year, due to refinements in efficiencies and software).

Couple that fact to this - today, the US produces over 17% of its electricity from renewables.  That's double in just the last 9 years.  You're gonna sit there and tell me that just because wind can only be 60% efficient that we should quit and count our losses?  Meanwhile, now at their peak technology, coal is topping out at 37% efficiency and natural gas/combined are at 55 - 60%.  That's as good as they'll get.  Wind, solar and other renewables are in their infancy comparatively.

Face it mark - there is simply no argument against electric cars - other than it'll help put the oil companies out of business.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #49 - 09/18/19 at 12:06:16

WebsterMark wrote on 09/18/19 at 10:26:59:

It sounds like you're saying,.. because we can't use renewable energy for everything, we shouldn't use it at all...

How about the opposite logic,.. because we will always need fossil fuel for some things, we shouldn't squander it on those things that we don't.

As far as wind energy being 60% efficient,... does that even make sense, being that the wind is blowing whether we use it or not?
Whatever amount we capture is 100% more than nothing.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #50 - 09/18/19 at 12:30:13

Serowbot wrote on 09/18/19 at 12:06:16:
It sounds like you're saying,.. because we can't use renewable energy for everything, we shouldn't use it at all...

How about the opposite logic,.. because we will always need fossil fuel for some things, we shouldn't squander it on those things that we don't.

As far as wind energy being 60% efficient,... does that even make sense, being that the wind is blowing whether we use it or not?

I'm totally for the "don't squander it" thought.
Solar is equivalent in cost with fossil fuel.
Every house in a sunny zone should be covered in panels.
To bad water can't sent from wet zones to dry as easily.

Wind, I'm not convinced.  New tech is needed.

WWW   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 09/18/19 at 12:39:43

Wow, you are so clueless on this mark...

Now - here's my point that you missed completely.

The example I give about going to the Moon has NOTHING to do with rocket velocity or distance or anything of the sort.

It's about the technology that we developed - solely to beat the Russians - to get to the Moon.  The advancements in computing, fuel cells, robotics, communications, etc.  In those 7 decades we traveled not only to the moon, but also into a new era - thanks solely to the practically unlimited budget of Nasa to defeat the Russians during the Cold War.

Like I said - 100% political.  That's a fact.

You really don't have any idea what you're talking about. Seriously. Read up on the Laws of Thermodynamics and get back to me.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 09/18/19 at 12:49:57

You're gonna sit there and tell me that just because wind can only be 60% efficient that we should quit and count our losses?  Meanwhile, now at their peak technology, coal is topping out at 37% efficiency and natural gas/combined are at 55 - 60%.  That's as good as they'll get.  Wind, solar and other renewables are in their infancy comparatively.

And this is why you should stop talking. 37% efficiency of coal with a power density which is at least one multitude higher than wind at 60%. Think for a minute, look at it this way, 37% of a 500 watt lightbulb vs 60% of a candle flame.

It is impossible to supply the earth's current and more importantly, future energy needs with wind and solar. It cannot be done.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 09/18/19 at 12:57:18

Not at all. I'm just say stop fooling yourself into thinking renewables are a solution. They are not. They are just one component of energy production.

All for it. I'd love the option of an electric motorcycle. Just don't force me to get rid of an SUV or turn my AC up in the winter because you think you're going to save the planet. You're not.

It makes a great deal of sense if you're operating under the delusion that wind and solar are viable sources to replace our current sources. Like I mentioned elsewhere, 60% of 10 is a hell of a lot smaller than 37%  of 100.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 09/18/19 at 13:30:11

WebsterMark wrote on 09/18/19 at 12:49:57:
You're gonna sit there and tell me that just because wind can only be 60% efficient that we should quit and count our losses?  Meanwhile, now at their peak technology, coal is topping out at 37% efficiency and natural gas/combined are at 55 - 60%.  That's as good as they'll get.  Wind, solar and other renewables are in their infancy comparatively.

And this is why you should stop talking. 37% efficiency of coal with a power density which is at least one multitude higher than wind at 60%. Think for a minute, look at it this way, 37% of a 500 watt lightbulb vs 60% of a candle flame.

SMH - Meanwhile, it produces GIGATONS of pollution.

Yeah, the only one who should stop talking is you.

It is impossible to supply the earth's current and more importantly, future energy needs with wind and solar. It cannot be done.

LMAO - you don't know too much, do you?

EVERY SINGLE FEMTO-WATT OF ENERGY THAT THIS PLANET HAS HAD OR WILL EVER HAVE, COMES (directly or indirectly) FROM THE SUN.

FACT.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 09/18/19 at 13:55:04

You are mind numbingly ignorant.

EVERY SINGLE FEMTO-WATT OF ENERGY THAT THIS PLANET HAS HAD OR WILL EVER HAVE, COMES (directly or indirectly) FROM THE SUN.

That statement means nothing. It's like saying everything on the earth comes directly or indirectly from cosmic events. Yea, so?  I think I read once that the sun produces more energy in one second than mankind has used during it's entire existence.

Seriously, stop talking. Or better yet, stop googling terms and posting stuff you just read. You don't know what you're talking about. You never heard of the term femtowatt until you read it earlier today.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 09/18/19 at 14:00:12

WebsterMark wrote on 09/18/19 at 12:49:57:

Hey mark - another fun fact for ya....

Australia is one of the largest producers of aluminum, something like 11% of the world total, right?

Get this - the energy consumption of all manufacturing in Australia uses about 20% of the electricity there.

Guess what produces over 17% of all the electricity in Australia?

Renewables.

Womp womp.... Go ahead and tell us again how it can't be done..... Go ahead.

Renewables across the board are on a steep rise.  Hell, Tesla's battery in South Australia can produce 100MW and it took them less than 100 days to construct it.

I love these fun facts!!

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 09/18/19 at 14:02:23

WebsterMark wrote on 09/18/19 at 13:55:04:
You are mind numbingly ignorant.

That statement means nothing. It's like saying everything on the earth comes directly or indirectly from cosmic events. Yea, so?  I think I read once that the sun produces more energy in one second than mankind has used during it's entire existence.

Seriously, stop talking. Or better yet, stop googling terms and posting stuff you just read. You don't know what you're talking about. You never heard of the term femtowatt until you read it earlier today.

OK professor - prove that I'm wrong on anything I posted.  ANYTHING.

I dare you.

Not my fault you don't like to be schooled.   Cheesy

(btw, "femto" is a term I've used on here many times before - you need to pay better attention - that's why you got schooled)

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 09/18/19 at 14:29:17

Guess what produces over 17% of all the electricity in Australia?

Renewables.

And when Australia's energy needs grow by 2% every year and renewables hit their maximum contribution cap and are unable to keep up, what then?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 09/18/19 at 14:32:09

OK professor - prove that I'm wrong on anything I posted.  ANYTHING.

As I've indicated, you don't really understand much at all on this topic as indicated below.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 18:15:59

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Well that's a bummer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.