Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first long ride with the wife. (Read 119 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
My first long ride with the wife.
09/03/19 at 05:05:35

Last Wednesday we packed up the R1200RT and went for a ride from our home in northern Kentucky to Franklin, TN.  The ride down was 380 miles and we stayed off the interstate highways - but we did end up on some nice 4 lane roads where the traffic was light and speeds reasonable.

My wife wanted to visit Franklin to learn about the Civil War battle that occurred on November 30, 1864 - it was the biggest single battle of the Civil War.  There were 30,000 Confederate and 33,000 Federal troop involved, and the battle lasted around 5 hours - it started around 4PM and darkness set in around 6......a large part of the battle happened in complete darkness.  The battle killed 5 Confederate Generals and 55 regimental commanders...there were 2,326 Federal casualties and 6,252 Confederate casualties....it is claimed to be the bloodiest US battle in history (including D Day).

The bike ran flawlessly and was a joy to ride and we traveled a bit over 1,000 miles over the 5 days....the middle 3 days were local rides around town and didn't cover many miles as most rides were less than 3 miles each way.  I now have a better understanding why folks like these big, heavy motorcycles for touring, as the long wheelbase and heavy weight make the bike very stable at speed, and the windshield and bodywork keep the strong winds off of you at all speeds.  Taking the roads less traveled added a couple of hours of ride time and turned a 5 hour trip into a 7 hour trip....another 1.5 hours was added by the 2 stops for fuel and rest and 1 stop to eat lunch.

I learned a few things about traveling:

1)  The back roads can pass through a lot of cities/towns, and most of them have 35mph speed limits, traffic and lots of traffic lights or STOP signs.  The old towns are fun to ride through - the modern strip centers and mall areas are not much fun.  Riding through downtown Lexington, KY was very tedious.....on the way home we took the bypass and it was much less tiresome.
2)  Packing up the bags seemed pretty easy - but it turned out the bags got pretty heavy.  The clothing was not so bad, and it seems the small things are what created a lot of weight.  I packed a 4 outlet USB charger, a  spray can of plastic visor/windshield cleaner, a small bottle of wash soap and a sponge in case I needed to wash the bike, a large tube of toothpaste, a large deodorant stick, and a small toolkit with a tire plugger and a 3/8" drive breaker bar, and the Extra Large cover to keep the rain/dew off the bike - and it all added up to a lot of weight (even my Keen sandals turned out to be pretty heavy).  The two saddlebags weighed 26 pounds loaded, the top box weighed 23 pounds.....about half the weight was contents and half the weight was the boxes.  These loaded boxes made the bike feel very heavy to pull off the sidestand....and very heavy to hold up when getting the bike parked.  Next time I will definitely work to cut back on the weight of the small items.....a smaller USB charger, less toothpaste, less soap, a lighter toolkit, a thinner and lighter cover for the bike.
3)I don't understand why motorcycle seats are so danged hard.  The seat on the BMW is like a wooden bench - there is almost no give to the padding.  The first day it was tolerable - by the 5th day while riding home my bottom was just plain tired and we had to stop several times just to stand up and give our fannies a rest.  I may have to try some sheepskin or  one of those Airhawk cushions for long trips.
4)  Going someplace on a motorcycle rather than the car seems to be far more relaxing in some ways.  Although I worry more about traffic and watching for drivers doing stupid things - it seems easier to enjoy the trip to/from the destination and we were not in a hurry to get the traveling part done...we could enjoy the traveling far more.

I am not sure when we will take our next long trip on a motorcycle - but we sure enjoyed this trip and the weather turned out to be perfect for the entire 5 days (maybe a bit hot a couple of days as the temps were over 90).  At the end of this month we will be going to the Ozarks and taking a motorcycle - but we will trailer the bike down and do day rides.....and use the car if rains shows up any of the days. I do need to get back to the gym on a regular basis......I need to keep my leg strength up so I can keep riding this big/heavy bike as long as possible.

« Last Edit: 09/03/19 at 08:15:31 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: My first long ride with the wife.
Reply #1 - 09/03/19 at 10:20:11

Way to go Dave. I'm glad you two had a good time.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 09/03/19 at 12:22:28

I've used an Airhawk, the cheap one, for several years and I belive it does help, I've forgotten what it's like to ride without it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/03/19 at 12:58:22

Riding to/around/from a place is a relatively new concept for me - I have only made a few multi-day solo trips on my bikes (1 on the Honda ST1100, 1 on the Honda NT700, 1 on the 250 Ninja, 2 on the BMW F800GT).  The wife and I did 1 overnight trip on the Honda NT700...and this was the first we had to pack for 5 days with both of us.  I am tempted to see if Dollar General has socks and underwear so I don't have to do any laundry or haul any dirty stuff home with me!

I have a friend who just left with his wife for a trip to California and back - they are taking a northern route up through IL, CO etc.  They are riding on his Triumph Bonneville with the stock seat........I have a whole lot more appreciation for the amount of endurance needed for a trip like that.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/04/19 at 04:25:55

We will work on reducing the weight for our next trip......I think we can go with a bit less. Huh

RoadTrip.JPG

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/04/19 at 05:33:34

Is that one of those new "safety" bikes where you can fall over but never hit the ground?

IP Logged
ShellyB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pennsylvania
Reply #6 - 09/05/19 at 09:41:14

1st long trip with my husband was from northern PA to Dover Delware. Our honeymoon.
Heres a tip I wish I had known then. Souvenirs can be mailed back, dirty clothes can be too. Pack them in a box at the closest PO and you don't have to haul it.
I had so much stuff on our 1st trip on way home the kick stand was having trouble holding.
Mail it. For a few bucks you can save yourself a lot of work and it's delivered back home nice and easy.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/05/19 at 10:48:51

Does the dog ride on the red case or the checked one?...  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/05/19 at 12:32:17

Serowbot wrote on 09/05/19 at 10:48:51:
Does the dog ride on the red case or the checked one?...  Grin

The dog is smart, it hides till they leave.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 09/05/19 at 21:30:08

we are back , ,

Glad you enjoyed Franklin .    Did ya get to go to the "Loveless Cafe" ?

Tucson was nice but we were in the Jeep ...

I think your bike hauls more luggage than the jeep does !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/06/19 at 04:57:07

We did not go to the Loveless Cafe' - we did go to Marcy Jo's and also to Pucketts Store.

Our visit to Puckett's was unusual...I know they do better than this as I had been there with Stewmills a couple years ago and it was fine.  On this visit I tried to get gas, and the Premium pump would not work.  So I went back in and got her to turn on the regular pump......it didn't work either.  She said the hot sun sometimes vapor locks the pumps -she told us there was another gas station 4 miles up the road.  When we ordered food my wife ordered the Pimento Cheese sandwich and I tried to get lettuce on my burger...they were out of lettuce.  It took them a long time to get us our food....seemed a bit weird as it was 2PM and there were only a few of us in the store.  When the food finally arrived it was a different waitress and she only had my burger....she apologized that they were out of Pimento Cheese and for some reason the previous waitress didn't tell anybody.....Deb ordered a Vegy burger to replace the other order (no gas, no lettuce, no Pimento cheese).  When I bit into my burger I was shocked to see it was bright red inside.....I thought 20 minutes would have allowed it to cook fully!  I sent the burger back and they made us a new one.....we ate the cold fries while we waited.  When the new food arrived it included hot fries - and the waitress refunded our money and apologized for the poor service.  It seems we arrived at the time they were changing shifts and our food order suffered as a result.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 09/06/19 at 06:53:40

Yeah, Dave...but wasn't all that worth it just to get to see the General Lee again?  Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 09/06/19 at 10:01:10

The General Lee was a bit disappointing - it has not held up well sitting out in the sun all the time.  The flag on the roof is faded, the tires were nearly flat......it was parked in a driveway across the street from Pucketts - not down in the grassy field along  the highway.

Deb and I rode south on the Natchez Trace Parkway for about 20 miles.  The road is in good shape, the grass along the road is nicely manicured - it just seems to be a bit boring in this section as every mile looks the same and you don't get any views of anything but grass and the tree line.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/07/19 at 15:27:57

Every ride with My wife is

LONG...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:25:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › My first long ride with the wife.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.