Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
YouTube tire videos- interesting comment on width (Read 89 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
YouTube tire videos- interesting comment on width
08/25/19 at 04:16:01

I watched this video and most of the comments are not surprising.....they support what I have come to learn about tires over the years - (my tire buying experience is limited to a few Cruiser sets, and lots of Sport Touring tire sets).  Unfortunately the tires choices for the stock Savage rear tire are going to be limited to tires made for Cruisers......and they don't offer any multiple tread compounds that have hard rubber in the center for road mileage and soft rubber on the edges for cornering grip. Cruiser tires tend to be built for longer tire life with a bit less performance - low cost tires last about 8,000 miles while premium tires can go as many as 20,000 miles. The 100/90-19 front tire is available in Sport Touring tires and you can find both Cruiser and Sport Touring tires.  Sport Touring tires can be very soft and wear out in 4,000 miles if you ride aggressively - while multiple compound tire can last up to 10,000 miles.  For those who have changed their rims to go tubeless or to make Cafe' or Tracker bikes....you will be able to find Sport Touring tires that fit your bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5CFUEHF2-M

The video on tire width supports what I have come to learn about tire width - that overly wide tires are there for looks and can actually hurt performance.  He also commented on wider tires on narrow rims altering the tire cross section profile and I have commented on that previously in the tire thread on this forum - and putting a wide tire on a too narrow rim reduces the tire footprint and can reduce traction and accelerate wear.  The relatively light 30HP Savage has far more rear tire than it needs for good traction, and a smaller/thinner tire would actually make the bike accelerate, brake and corner better.  The 130/90-15 rear tire is an upgrade in handling....the 140/90-15 rear tire is an option for those who want to improve the gearing for highway use (at a small cost in handling).

What I find very surprising in the video was the concept discussed at 2:40 in the video....wider tires require more lean in the corners!  This took a while for me to understand - but it turns out the footprint moves farther inside and away from the centerline of the bike, and that requires more lean to balance the cornering forces  (it seems weird but a wider tire will cause you to drag a footpeg or frame sooner than a narrow tire will)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hPTiYh4fic

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Re: YouTube tire videos- interesting comment on wi
Reply #1 - 08/25/19 at 05:18:03

I have noticed the wide tire issue in corning. Most of my bikes have had 400-18 on the rear, (Guzzi). When I got my ryca it has a large 150 -18 something on the rear. while it handles well it take more effort in corning .
I would like to put a 4.00 18 on the rear but I need to replace the rim for a narrower one. (maybe some one on the forum has a already laced rim for 18, in exchange for one with a wide one)

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 08/25/19 at 05:21:48

Years back ,due to my girlfriend have some damage to discs in her back, I put 11.5" progressive shocks on the rear of the bike. That alone ,elevated the rear of the bike enough to stop the front pegs from ever scraping again no matter how hard I leaned the bike. It also shortened the wheel base , and decreased the fork angle slightly, but I didn't really feel the difference in handling until my last tire change when I choose to use a 130/90/15 rather than the 140 /90/15 . I felt the change immediately. I'll never use a 140 again, and I may try a 90/90 19 next time on the front , to see if that may also improve things.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #3 - 08/25/19 at 08:08:44

I have never had to replace a front tire due to wear. It was always a issue of age or to match a rear tire of another brand or pattern. Most rears look shot at around 6000 miles. That's how it has worked out for me.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 08/25/19 at 18:22:27

Good vids Dave.  Thanks

Regarding tire dimensions, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a 140/18-15 and a 140/80B-15?  What is the significance of the letter "B"?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 08/26/19 at 06:09:20

DragBikeMike wrote on 08/25/19 at 18:22:27:
Regarding tire dimensions, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a 140/18-15 and a 140/80B-15?  What is the significance of the letter "B"?

B=Bias-ply
R=Radial

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/26/19 at 06:49:43

DragBikeMike needs to post something right quick.  His post count is sitting on 666.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/26/19 at 07:25:11

hotrod wrote on 08/25/19 at 08:08:44:
I have never had to replace a front tire due to wear. It was always a issue of age or to match a rear tire of another brand or pattern. Most rears look shot at around 6000 miles. That's how it has worked out for me.

Riding style has a lot to do with how tires wear on your bike.

If I am riding aggressively and brake hard at the entrance to the corner while MM and I are chasing each other around in the mountains - I put a lot of wear on the sides of the front tire.  If I do a lot of riding like this I can wear the front tire out just as fast as the rear tire.  The back tire does the accelerating - the front tire does the braking!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/26/19 at 07:27:27

Enjoyed and learned from the videos,
Thanks Dave

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 12:22:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › YouTube tire videos- interesting comment on width

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.