Send Topic Print
Squealing disk brake. (Read 148 times)
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Squealing disk brake.
08/24/19 at 08:28:11

My disk brakes squeal something awful.  I bought some CRC Disk Brake Quiet and per directions I need to remove the pads and spray the back of the pad.  

Well, I'm no mechanic and I'm kinda lazy.  I read in the Tech section some fellas use 500-600 grit sandpaper on the rotor.  

Can it really be this simple?  Am I missing something?  I really don't want to take the brake pads off and risk jacking something up.  It is a beautiful August day here and I'd rather be riding than wrenching today.  

2015 S40, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Re: Squealing disk brake.
Reply #1 - 08/24/19 at 08:33:43

I had a similar issue a couple years ago. Turns out it was just the break pads were badly worn.  Try replacing.

IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/24/19 at 08:39:11

The bike only doesn't even have 2000 miles on it.  Could they possibly be that worn?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/24/19 at 08:54:25

wash the bike, get all the dirt off the disk.
that should cure it for a couple of days.

or get it drilled   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/24/19 at 08:59:04

You're right.  The bike is fairly filthy.  A product of rather be riding than wrenching or polishing.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #5 - 08/24/19 at 10:12:44

If you are trying to get the pads to bed in, or have new ones, try much more aggressive sandpaper. Like 220. 600 will just polish the surface and prob make it worse.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/24/19 at 12:01:31

Thanks Armen, I will give it a try.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/24/19 at 18:25:10

The stock Suzuki pads are prone to squealing....try the EBC organic pads.

They are good pads and have a nice feel - and they aren't noisy.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #8 - 08/24/19 at 20:11:05

thats about how many miles i got out of the stock pads in city riding.  i replaced them with some off amazon "EBC Brakes FA106 Disc Brake Pad Set" which still squeal but not near as much. Chance wrote on 08/24/19 at 08:39:11:
The bike only doesn't even have 2000 miles on it.  Could they possibly be that worn?

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #9 - 08/25/19 at 06:51:16

Brake squeal is cause by parts vibrating against each other. Pulling the pads isn't a difficult job. If it were mine I would pull the caliper, Clean and lube the hardware and mating surfaces with a high temp, waterproof grease, and reassemble. Pay attention to points where the pads touch the caliper. But be careful! You do not want grease to contaminate the braking surfaces of the pads or the rotor.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/25/19 at 08:02:26

Thanks all.  I'll look into new brakes.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 08/25/19 at 18:39:25

Just had to change mine.  A little over 4600 miles and they were toast.  For an econo-cruiser, this thing sure goes through consumables fast.  Undecided

4600_miles_1_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 08/29/19 at 15:38:10

Agreed.  I get fewer miles on each set it seems.  And I do try and use the rear brakes at the same time.  Maybe I need to be a little more aggressive on the rear brakes to offset wear on the fronts.
I always have just a little squeal from the front.  Using EBC organics.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 08/29/19 at 15:46:58

Chance wrote on 08/25/19 at 08:02:26:
Thanks all.  I'll look into new brakes.

For a little under $30, it's worth the change.  When I bought my bike it had under 3K miles and had stock pads.  They were terrible on the ride home; both performance and squeal.  Replaced with EBC FA106 and it's been much better.  On my 4th pair at 20K miles.  Replacing them is easy.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1177184106

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/02/19 at 04:34:50

Tocsik wrote on 08/29/19 at 15:38:10:
 And I do try and use the rear brakes at the same time.  Maybe I need to be a little more aggressive on the rear brakes to offset wear on the fronts.

The fact that you wear your front brakes out faster might show that you are riding faster and using the brakes harder......it actually could be a "good thing".

Learning to use the brakes on a motorcycle is one of the most important riding skills - and the better you know how to use the brakes the safer you will be.

I believe there are 3 phases of learning:

Beginner:  When you are first learning to ride the rear brake is your "go to".....as the front brake can be scary until you learn how to modulate the brake and only use what is required.  If you just "grab" at the front brake it can put you down in a hurry.  (Watch the YouTube videos of Asian Scooter accidents and you will see what happens when you panic and lock the front brake up....the front tires locks up, the handlebars twist slightly left or right, and the front end falls out from under you......this "Bad Ass" fellow grabs the front brake too hard and goes down in front of an audience).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acszGi7eNnc

Intermediate:  As you gain experience you get more more comfortable with the front brake, you can learn to use it in combination with the rear brake - and if you do you will gain the ability to stop quicker and under more control.  While riding around the parking lot or in city traffic at low speeds you may be using just the rear brake - but you must use the front brake more when the speeds increase if you want to get the most braking force.  The initial application of the front brake must be smooth and not instant - you must gradually squeeze the front brake and then add more pressure and harder braking as the weight shifts forward onto the front wheel......and at the same time you may need to use less rear brake as the weight moves forward and takes weight off the rear wheel.  Even in emergency stops you cannot instantly apply a lot of front brake - you need to wait just long enough for the forks to compress and put weight onto the front tire......the application of front brake needs to be progressive and match the weight shift onto the front tire.  Most experienced riders will be in this class of braking and use the front and rear brake effectively and be able to balance the amount of braking in the front/rear wheels.

Advanced:  This level of braking may be beyond the abilities of the stock brakes on the Savage and is not normally necessary on a cruiser style bike that has a lot of weight on the rear wheel - but very hard braking must be done with the front brake only.......as there may be little or no weight on the rear wheel and it can lock up and slide easily.  Under very hard braking it is possible that all the weight of the bike and rider is on the front wheel, and the rear tire can stop rotating and slide if the rear brake is not released........an extreme example of this is folks showing off and doing a "stoppie".  Folks who ride aggressively or ride at speed may not use any rear brake as it can cause them to crash in a hurry if it locks up.  When the rear brake locks up and the tire begins to slide - it seldom stays behind you and the back of the bike wants to slide to the front!  This is the most common reason you will hear "bikers" say they "had to lay it down"....they used too much rear brake in a panic stop and the bike slid out from under them.  A lot of riders will never reach this level of braking.........it only becomes necessary if you ride aggressively and brake and corner at speeds that approach the limits of traction........if you find yourself locking up the rear tire as you brake hard - you need to learn to use less rear brake under hard braking.  (Riders who have learned to ride on a modern  bike with ABS may be at a big disadvantage if they ever try and ride a non-ABS bike at speed...they may not have developed the ability to modulate the brakes if they have gotten used to letting the ABS do it for them).
Look how compressed the front tire is under hard braking, and the rear tire has almost no weight and is just dancing on top of the pavement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy6cvHsb9RQ

« Last Edit: 09/02/19 at 16:20:20 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 12:25:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squealing disk brake.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.