Send Topic Print
Idle Mix Help (Read 60 times)
UglyBrute
YaBB Newbies

Yeet.

Detroit
Idle Mix Help
08/18/19 at 15:08:57

I got lost somewhere in the screw turns for changing the idle mix and my bike sounds off now. Its sort of maintaining 1100rpm and putters to low rpms. Is there a recommended way to start this process over?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Idle Mix Help
Reply #1 - 08/18/19 at 15:41:47

The factory,   if I remember , set the Idle mix screw at 1 1/2 turns open, I'd start there . You then slow or speed up the idle (knurled )speed  screw as low as you can go without stalling ,so you can hear the speed change ,and adjust the mix screw open until you get the highest speed . then reset the idle speed screw to 1000 rpm to restore your oil pressure. If the mix screw ends up 3 turns open it can vibrate out ,you'll need to change to the next larger pilot jet. If the bike isn't stalling , but putters/ gargles when you close the throttle fully at any speed the bike running (moving) ,That is normal for a single cylinder bike, loud backfires are not, and may mean you need to clean the TEV valve and it's passages .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
UglyBrute
YaBB Newbies

Yeet.

Detroit
Reply #2 - 08/18/19 at 17:45:29

Thanks, I'm going to leave it at 1.5 turns out for the moment, due to the time of night/rainy weather...

To give more background: I purchased a Fast Tach to measure rpm. I was finding that the rpm was raising and then plateaued when turning the screw out, but at this speed the afterfire from cutting the engine off while idle was much louder than what it was when I originally started. 1.5 turns out still leaves a loud afterfire after riding, but doesn't leave the loud afterfire from just idling. I also swapped the oem petcock for a raptor today. Going to try again when the weather isn't terrible.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 08/19/19 at 05:12:32

Aftrfire is sometimes caused by air leakage in the areas of the boot between the carb and head  , and exhaust, at the header or the header/muffler . You can cheat at shutdown , by placing the bike in neutral ,allowing it to fall to an idle , and pulling the choke out just before hitting the kill switch. this sends a fuel mix so rich into the exhaust header that there's not enough air to support combustion- no puff ,no afterfire !

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 05:14:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle Mix Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.