Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Somebody had a really rough stop.Him (Read 354 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: Somebody had a really rough stop.Him
Reply #30 - 08/16/19 at 16:39:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/15/19 at 09:17:44:
I figure a 64 year old man take a 45 to zero MPH bouncing and get off with being really sore, some swollen knees and an ankle, I'm inclined to believe God is watching out for him.

Yep.  Glad you're OK!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #31 - 08/16/19 at 17:09:30

Wow JOG!  Sorry about the mishap and glad you're ok

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 08/16/19 at 19:35:43

I got a leg over it today.
Leaned over and looked at what would likely have happened had I stiffened up and tried to ride it out.
Nothing Good.
So, I.M.O. in a
No way to avoid the T-bone moment
At speeds above the
I can stiffen up and stay on speeds,
The least crappy option is
Slow down as you prepare to bail off.
If the car is coming from your left
Get up on the right side peg, left leg up, further than I was, so you don't smack your knee on the tank, and when you are ready to bail, crank the bars to the left, try to get as much of you to hit the door at the same time as possible. Speed and pain are directly proportional, and forty five HURTS!
I hope I never learn enough about this to be able to tell anyone more.
But I'm pretty sure
Pointing the front tire At the direction the car is coming from and getting off moving toward the front of the car is better than being somewhere between the bike and the rear of the car. Not sure, though..
Things like this, thought about, laying in bed, waiting on sleep , are good training. The Body knows what to do in the
Prepared for emergency.

I don't remember doing that practice, but I have Felt things before, when things were seriously bad, and I am going with
Thank You, God!!!!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #33 - 08/19/19 at 09:20:32

I found the traffic camera video of what JOG was doing right before the accident:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6074407708001/

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #34 - 08/19/19 at 12:05:25

Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 08/21/19 at 09:19:40

So, here's the plan..

I'm keeping the crunched bike, but after close inspection, I see a gash in the flat front surface of the case from a fork tube, and I think it's close enough to the vibration damper to get shaken hard enough to turn into a leaking crack, so, unless someone can assure me the case is thick enough to be okay even with a deep gouge, that engine is done.

But, I've got the whole top end.

I'm gonna get another bike and ride it, and take advice from those who have
Done It..
I have a die grinder and rotary files, dremel tools, and I know which machine shop to go to, and I have a stock cam and a Stage One, which I figure would be a great way to wind up with a Stage Three, which I Think someone said is the preferred choice for the bored out top end.

So, I'll be asking for
What piston
Rings
Where from, etc.

And if I find the right year model I'll have a spare iggy and I'm thinking it would be a good time to 86 the decompression timer and associated gizmos,
I'm wishing I could figure out if
the convenience of More gas
Makes living with the bigger tank worth it..
Has anyone put a bigger tank on and then regretted it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #36 - 08/21/19 at 14:08:48

I just happen to have a case here that is broken in that very spot, so it makes it easy to measure the thickness. It is only about .170" thick so there isn't much left if you have a very deep gouge in your case.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 08/21/19 at 14:22:42

Justin, if the vibration dampener still rotates freely and misses the dent, get a TIG student at a local university or tech school to fill the dent in with some layered beads of aluminum then grind & sand the surface nice and flat for you.

If it is still in clearance to the rotating items, it can be "re-enforced to be as strong or stronger" by TIG welding.

I would suspect that Alunmiweld (a solder like repair) can do the same trick but using a readily available gas torch.

Point being, you got NOTHING to lose with that case assembly.   And if you do it smart, you don't have to take it all apart either.

I am reminded of a certain group ride crash that took place in the mountains of NC where we put a cracked side case back on the road WITHOUT DISASSEMBLY after an 5 minute epoxy repair job, a fast meatball fix that lasted for months afterwards until it could get welded back up properly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 08/25/19 at 06:56:24

Ahh, noted, thanks..

Now,
Just what is 45 MPH?
Well, it's 66'/second..

Yeah, but how do I relate to that?
Well, in order to get to 45. 17 MPH
You can fall
For sixty six feet.

And that, my friends, is a kinda sorta way to think about what kinda stoppage this old man took.
Another site translates to Joules, I'm probably gonna drag that up.
I sure would like to see that car.

Awwrite, I know I screwed that up some, but I'm not sleeping worth a crap, and I'm not exactly thinking all that great either. I haven't even driven a car yet,,

Gravitational acceleration
ft/sē

Initial velocity
m/s

Height
ft

Time of fall
sec

Velocity
ft/s

Reset defaults

So, the chart tells us if you fall from 66 feet, in a little bit over two seconds, you'll be moving just a whisker under 45 MPH,,
And it Will reset your defaults..

Even if it wasn't
Your fault.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 08/25/19 at 08:53:42

It's not the fall, it's the sudden stop at the end.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 08/25/19 at 12:19:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/25/19 at 06:56:24:
Gravitational acceleration
ft/sē

Initial velocity
m/s

Height
ft

Time of fall
sec

Velocity
ft/s

Reset defaults

So, the chart tells us if you fall from 66 feet, in a little bit over two seconds, you'll be moving just a whisker under 45 MPH,,
And it Will reset your defaults..

Wait a minute.......they got stuff on the internet now that will differentiate the equations for you? Huh

Where was this stuff in the 80's when I was learning how to calculate acceleration/velocity/position with calculus? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 08/25/19 at 13:35:46

Sudden stop
That should be
Bold
Italicized
Underlined

Dave, don't be unhappy that you didn't have a
Push a few buttons
Get the answer
Resource.
Just look at the stuff you know how to do that the whippersnapper group doesn't.

I think the point I was making was

At 45 mph, a body slams into an obstacle at very near the velocity of a body that Falls 66 Frikken Feet.
That's almost like coming off a six story building.
And then the forward motion of the car launched me between 30 and 40 feet..
At a right angle to the impact.

Anyone wanna give that ride a go?
Did I mention that I'm screwed up?
Wa, no, not Exactly walking, hobbling is more like it, and I'm pretty sure the right rotator cuff is torn, and the left one is starting to burn, too...
I lived, no broken bones, no emergency surgery required to stop internal bleeding, but
I'm more than a little concerned that my life will never be the same..
I've learned a few things I will be sharing soon.
If you don't have
Uninsured AND Underinsured motorist coverage

Get it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 08/26/19 at 03:36:53

When I am on the interstate doing my best to nearly comply with the speed limit......and I see folks flying by me at 80-85mph with only 20 feet between them and the other cars - I wonder if they have any concept about how badly things would go if things went wrong?

This cage generation and their lane warning/air bag laden cars have given them a false sense of security.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 08/26/19 at 06:44:21

Say you get hit.
And the idiot has
$30,000.00 liability..
Well, that's what YOU have for Your care and losses.
So, carrying
Uninsured AND UNDERINSURED motorist
Insurance is important.
The Assholes are trying to say I Declined uninsured,,
Funny thing, I carry it on the cars,,,

You don't think they would lie,do you?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 08/27/19 at 07:19:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/26/19 at 06:44:21:
The Assholes are trying to say I Declined uninsured,,
Funny thing, I carry it on the cars,,,

Getting insurance is very complex, and being sure that all the correct boxes are "checked" is difficult.  The only proof you have is your policy statement - did you keep a copy of it?

It seems to be another example of a government that is not very functional in some areas.  In order for you to license a car....insurance is mandatory, and yet somehow folks are driving without a license or insurance.....and these folks seem to bang into other drivers frequently.  It would seem to be appropriate that if the other driver was charged with the fault and they don't have insurance - they somehow should be made to pay the damages......for however long it takes them to get it paid.  But - the problem is that the financial standing that has caused them to ignore getting insurance is likely the same thing that will prevent you from getting any money from them.

I think it is rare that anyone ever has an accident and comes out of the deal "whole".  My 2006 Pontiac Vibe has 160,000 miles on it and runs like a top, looks good, has no dents or door dings, no rust....and I fully expect to get another 10 years and 100,000 miles out of it easily.  Kelly Blue Book has it listed as a trade in value of $1,342 and a private sale value of $3,400.  If I had an accident it would likely be totaled and they would give me $2,000 for the car......I could not replace it with a comparable car for 2-3 times that amount.

My friend had an accident on his BMW R1000GS Paris/Dakar bike.  It damaged the left engine guard, the left mirror, the left turn signal and a left body panel.  The insurance company valued the damage at $2,000 and totaled the bike for $1,300......he opted to not follow through with the claim as he could fix it for around $600 in used parts....and it would cost him around $6,000 to find another bike like it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 12:17:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Somebody had a really rough stop.Him

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.