Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I couldn't bear the heat any more. (Read 129 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
I couldn't bear the heat any more.
08/09/19 at 10:53:10

I was hoping to hold out until mid next year but I guess I am getting old. I've been coming to work either on my bike or in my 05 Saturn Vue with non functioning ac. I would bring an extra shirt so I could wash up and put on a clean shirt but as it got hotter it felt like I actually needed to change pants also. So.......... I bought a new car last week. 2019 VW Jetta with manual transmission. This is the first day I drive it when the traffic was not horrible and I got over 40 mpg. If anyone is looking for an inexpensive, high mpg, sporty little car, this is the one I recommend. I am so happy to have ac and a reliable car!!! Cool And passing power!!!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: I couldn't bear the heat any more.
Reply #1 - 08/09/19 at 14:00:33

Now you've done it.
the cagers will retaliate by buying m/c's.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 08/10/19 at 03:27:19

Congrats!  whenever I rent a car, I try for a Jetta because they have terrific road feel. Manual is a bonus, enjoy!!! Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 08/10/19 at 05:13:56

We recently picked up a 2017 Honda CR-V with 15k on it.
We really like it

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/10/19 at 08:56:23

Yep. I really like the car. I love having ac. It has been in the triple digits here in Houston the last few days.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 08/10/19 at 09:11:00

Yep, a/c is a REQUIREMENT
THE CR-V gets 32mpg average so far, a sight better than 18-19 we were used to.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/10/19 at 10:13:20

My wife had a 2000 Jetta Diesel that we bought in the fall of 1999.  We bought it when she was driving a 100 mile round trip to work each day, as diesel fuel was under $1.00 a gallon at the time and it got 42mpg.  Before long diesel fuel went to the low sulphor stuff and the price increased and it cost more than gasoline.  When we sold the car 10 years later it had 272,000 miles on it and it still ran just fine and didn't burn any oil.  We liked the solid construction and sporty handling and quiet ride.

When it came time to buy a replacement she got a Honda, as the parts and service on the German car had gotten a bit expensive.  I seriously doubt that I will buy another German car - the shop rate and parts are just too expensive.  (Because it was a diesel I could not do some of the service, and it needed a timing belt every 80,000 miles and that service cost $800).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/10/19 at 12:02:09

I did without air for 20 years...
I ain't that young any more.
Ice cold air is a must.
This is my new toy for days too hot to ride...

3aqoustics.jpg

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 08/10/19 at 13:28:42

Springman , and Bot ...

Those both seem like nice little cars , 40 mpg is a very good thing the way I see things.   NOBODY LIKES to buy gas.

My new truck only gets 27mpg , but that the best I could find at the time !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/10/19 at 14:46:24

I hate to admit it but I am starting to feel the effects of ageing. The heat used to not affect me, but it does now. The car has a 6 year 72K mile bumper to bumper warranty so hopefully no additional costs other than tires and brakes for those first 72k miles.

I actually started by looking for a used car, but this one turned out to be so inexpensive that it swayed me to go with new. I hate to admit this but I have hardly ridden the bike since I got the new car because it is so hot. Previously I opted for the open air feel of the bike on most days versus the open windows and sunroof on the Saturn. The Jetta will get a bit of a rest though once it starts to cool off around Sept/Oct.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 08/10/19 at 14:53:21

Sero, back around 1974 or 75 I lived in Lima, Peru and a friend's dad had a Fiat that looks alot like your new one. If I recall correctly it had an 850 cc engine. Well, one day this friend of mine had his dad's car, he picked me and two other friends up to go somewhere. There happened to be a rather steep hill on the route. We made it about half way up and had to turn around cause the car just could not make it with the four of us in it. I don't believe I will ever forget that. We laughed heartily that day! Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 08/10/19 at 15:42:08

Fiats are famously easy to push...  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 08/10/19 at 22:56:07

Springman , is it Diesel ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 08/11/19 at 12:38:25

No, it is a gasoline engine. 1.4 liter with a turbo. Impressive acceleration and even more impressive mpg.

IP Logged
FlyingH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/19/19 at 18:12:02

Don't keep it too long, they have a reputation not to last.
I used to own one when I lived in Nederlands, but maybe Fiat solved that problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 18:49:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › I couldn't bear the heat any more.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.