Shinko 712 (Read 231 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Shinko 712
Reply #15 - 09/11/19 at 20:28:15

Hey Lancer. I must be getting old. I just re-read your post and this time I got it immediately. I try to make sure I know who is behind me now before I take off. Rather intimidating when a 6'6" mountain of a trooper gets out of the car with flashing lights, even if he is laughing, and asks us if none of us saw him behind us at the stop light. Grin Shocked

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 09/12/19 at 23:17:41

and asks us if none of us saw him behind us at the stop light. Grin Shocked  :

Hay , I didn't get it either , but now that you caught it , I'm telling the story if you don't !  
everybody reading this wasn't there.

I'll start the way I remember it :  

So , Lancer was leading and ran under yellow light , and one or two bikes followed him .   The rest of us were scarred and afraid (Had better sense) .

So , there we were all bunched up at the Red-Light while Lancer and the other two kept going .
Engines were rebbing up and everybody was fixated on watching the light  like a bunch of contestants at the Drag Races .
When your leaned over your tank to hold the front end down ya "can't see your mirrors" .
Well , after the light went green all I remember is trying to catch the rear of SpringMans brother-in-law's Harley while it slowly keep pulling away from me ... Then it started slowing down for some reason ???
Yea , There were RED brake lights coming on all over the place and some of  them looked Violet then Red again back and forth Violet Red Violet .  That when the siren went off and there weren't no dought what was going on.   By that time we could see Lancer and buds pulled over waiting on us 1/4 mile up the road but they wern't about to come back and get us .  Roll Eyes
NO , they were looking at Daises or something , just bobbing around beside the road trying not to look back our way  Undecided
!

Some of you other fellers might be able to fill in some of the blanks here I'm beginning to feel weak-kneed again  Grin ?  

« Last Edit: 09/13/19 at 21:02:56 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 09/13/19 at 04:44:52

MMRanch wrote on 09/12/19 at 23:17:41:
Some of you other fellers might be able to fill in some of the blanks here I'm beginning to feel weak-kneed again  Grin ?  

I need to know!

Did the officer call for backup?
Did they use metal handcuffs.....or the nylon ties?
Were they gentle with the strip search?
Who got to share a cell with Bubba?
Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 09/13/19 at 08:36:03

Help me SpringMan , you might remember more than I do .   After I got to the curb , I never directly talked with the young Officer .   But , I was very relieved he was laughing .   I remember him saying " WAS Ya'll TRYING TO GET PULLED OVER ? " .

I can't help but wonder if the Deputy was having as hard a time keeping-up with that Harley as I was ?   I always figured the Savage was as quick from 0 to 50-60  as 9 out of 10 cars .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #19 - 09/13/19 at 12:44:58

Just thinking about it I start laughing. We were soooo lucky that cop was a good guy.

You nailed it well. It was Lancer and Versy that made the light. You, Steve and I stopped at the light. Lancer and Versy pulled over up the road to wait for us and we were like little kids at the light just waiting for it to turn green so we could jack rabbit out of there. I can guarantee not a one of us looked back to see who was behind us. I guess one of the funny parts that you left out was that Steve already had his license out to give to the cop by the time the cop got out of the car. We all knew we were in trouble. And I bet Lancer and Versy were laughing off their behinees. Thank goodness the cop was a good guy. He never even looked at Steve's license. I guess seeing 3 old farts, each from a different state, riding together he decided not to ruin our vacation.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 09/19/19 at 20:44:01

I got Shinko 712 in the mail today.  Got it mounted and took a ride.    At first it was swinging wide and hard to turn with , but after that mold release got wore off ... I got to liking it. !   Smiley

I measured the tread depth and its 6mm new (.243") it looks deep.

the width may be a little on the plus side , it looks really wide and its only 130/90 but looks like almost 140 series..

I suspect it will last more than 5K miles. !   Wink  Maybe even as much as the AM26 (8000 miles). did.  Huh

« Last Edit: 09/20/19 at 08:15:23 by MMRanch »  

Shinko_712_V7II.jpg

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #21 - 09/20/19 at 11:44:54

Even with your type of riding MM, I would be surprised if you don't get at least 6K miles, but hopefully more.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #22 - 09/20/19 at 11:58:28

I know MM.  My money is on visible cord threads in 9 months or 3000 miles, whichever comes first.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #23 - 09/20/19 at 14:47:58

I have to admit I had forgotten we were talking about the stone and not the savage. I would still find it hard to believe it if he gets less than 6K miles. But yes, I do know MM also. When I'm gritting my teeth, doing a million calculations per second in my head, putting a death grip on my handle bars, looking for the line and the correct gear for the next turn, I look up ahead and see MM with his hands in the air, going faster than me, and guiding his bike through the turn with his legs, like it was nothing. I don't know how that man does that!!!! Shocked

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 09/20/19 at 14:53:18

Ok

I'm interested to see how long the rear tires on a Ninja 400 will last ?   Roll Eyes

Have you checked to see if they are 17" ?    Unless its a really wide tire  there isn't nothing but Sporty tires in 17".   Them extra wide ones weigh more and suck your fuel millage downhill in a quick way , so in 17 inch its dammed if you do and dammed if you don't  !   Sad

I hope the Shinko 712 is the middle ground , that middle solid strip is a really smart idea in my eyes.  ???  Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 09/20/19 at 15:58:46

I just finished riding double with Deb in the Ozarks.  I was riding at a safe pace, as I don't want to damage the wife (or let her know how fast I ride when she isn't looking).  At a few stops I looked at my tires, and they were 'scuffed" and had that rough texture across the tread.....the kind you get when you ride around corners at a festive rate.  I would also look at the tires on the Goldwings and V-Twins at the places we stopped - and their rubber was all smooth and shiny just like a new tire.....all the way across!

So - I have come to the conclusion that MM and I are never going to be able to get high mileage from our tires......until we trade in our motorcycles for mobility scooters!  We have become addicted to fun of going around corners at speeds that scrub away rubber - and the only way to make the tires survive would be to use the brakes more.  I am not yet ready to slow down to the speed the cars and trucks corner at.....or even worse the slow speeds that big touring bikes seem to go (The exception is Springmans brother in law who can make a full dressed Harley boogie on the curves!  It adds a whole new level of excitement when there is an 800 pound Harley snarling at your back tire).

« Last Edit: 09/20/19 at 17:33:22 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 09/20/19 at 16:31:36

My chicken strips are actually growing... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #27 - 09/20/19 at 19:47:33

So - I have come to the conclusion that MM and I are never going to be able to get high mileage from our tires......until we trade in our motorcycles for mobility scooters!  

Dave you and Springman got me all wrong ... I've got to really work at it to pull away from you fellers , and Stew too.  
Fact is : Last Spring when we were taking turns leading through the Ga. mountains , there were a few times I wanted to pull over and rest but you two Just Kept Going like ya'll were on a Sunday drive .   Not that I don't enjoy a Sprited Sunday Drive !  Wink

I'm trying to be more careful , all the time .   Now that Marcia and I are EMPTY NEST folks , I might get her to hold the rear tire down to the road every chance I get.   That should help those tires last longer ! Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 09/21/19 at 05:09:52

MMRanch wrote on 09/20/19 at 19:47:33:
  Now that Marcia and I are EMPTY NEST folks , I might get her to hold the rear tire down to the road every chance I get.   That should help those tires last longer ! Smiley

MM....I suggest you somehow describe that a bit differently - Marcia may not find that very flattering!  Maybe something about keeping you company....rather than being a traction aid.

I have been on two outings in curvy areas with Deb, and even at a reduced cornering speed - I believe the wear on the rear tire is accelerated.  A couple years ago I thought the rear tire of my NT700 was going to last me the rest of the summer - Deb and I wore it out in 2 days riding around Suches, GA.....the back of the bike was covered in rubber shavings and black dust.  On this trip to the Ozarks both tires have that "scuffed" look, even though I have been riding at moderate cornering speeds.  I have not noticed the wear on the front tire being accelerated - but I have noticed I need to squeeze the front brake lever a lot harder entering some of the steep downhill turns....so I would suspect the brake pads get a bit more wear as well.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 09/21/19 at 11:44:50

I'm trying to be more careful , all the time .   Now that Marcia and I are EMPTY NEST folks , I might get her to ride along to help me keep the speed  "Slow and Easy" .   That should help those tires last longer !

Wink

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 17:49:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Shinko 712

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.