Shinko 712 (Read 231 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Shinko 712
08/07/19 at 21:32:42

Well , it about time for me to hunt-up a new rear tire for the Guzzi .    
Much to my supprise the AM26-Avon that is on it only has a little over 8000 miles on it and there might be 1500 left to go .  
But its good to plan ahead on these things to avoid down time ... so ...
I'm looking at my options (again) !  Huh
The question of the day is  :  Has anybody wore-out a Shinko 712 rear tire ?
I realize we all have different driving habits , and one of mine is to "Jump away from red light especially when no-one is front of me and the feller in the next lane is under 25 year old.   Nothing high rpm stuff , just a quick bump off the light stuff.   I'm sure that is where half the rubber on my rear tires disappears to.
But I like the rush of it all !  Roll Eyes

The  712 Shinko is not nessarely my first choice ... my first choice don't come in the 130/90-17 I need.   Sad

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Shinko 712
Reply #1 - 08/08/19 at 03:10:28

Are you planning on going upsize to the 130/90-17....the stock size is 130/80-17?

In general.....the Shinko tires are not a high mileage tire and with your riding style they are likely going to last you around 6,000 miles.  They are not going to stick as well as the more expensive Pirelli or Avon tires you have used.

Unfortunately - the tires you can buy to fit this bike will never provide the kind of mileage you got with the Michelin Commander tires.....the rubber compounds are made stickier and they wear faster.

You might be able to spend a bit more money and get something that could last more than the RoadRIder.....not sure?  If you go cheap - you may need to change tires a couple times a year!

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/metzeler-roadtec-01-m...

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/conti-go-motorcycle-t...

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/michelin-pilot-activ-...

I am currently trying the Michelin Pilot Activ tires - they have a really stiff carcass....maybe this reduces flex and allows more mileage.  My initial thought was these tires were too stiff as the ride was horrible - turns out my new shocks did not have the springs adjusted high enough and I was bottoming out the shocks.....they ride much better now that I have cranked in additional preload.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 08/08/19 at 06:54:57

Quote:
The question of the day is  :  Has anybody wore-out a Shinko 712 rear tire ?

Here are some numbers for you. I have Shinko 712s on my S40.

As of today: Rear 5860 miles  4/32" tread measured in the center of the tread.
                    Front 6635 miles 4/32"           "

I'll replace them when they are down to 2/32", which is the legal limit here in NYS, so I'm guessing I've got another 1000 miles or so.

My son had a 712 on the back of his Honda VTX1300 that he ran down to 2/32" If I remember correctly he had about 7000 miles on that tire when we replaced it. My son's tire was squared off to the point that he was beginning to notice that the Honda felt different when he leaned it into a turn. The tires on my S40 haven't  yet reached the point where I notice any effect on the handling.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 08/08/19 at 08:30:35

oldNslow

That 1/8" of tread left after about 6,000 miles don't seem to bad .  Huh

This is a drive shaft bike and changing the rear tire requires removing a lot of extra stuff , so the $$$ is not an issue but longevity  is .

Here in Tn. we can run tires as bald as we want as long as ya don't live in one of the bigger city's.   So I usually get my $$$'s worth out of every one of them tires.  Wink

Dave , that Roadtec tire looks inviting but so does the 712 ???  Huh

I can get two of the 712's for the price of the Roadtec and if the Roadtec only last 1000 miles longer then I don't know if it would be worth it.   Not being a $$$ issue but just being a practical issue ?  

So I'm leaning toward the 712  now ... but I've got at least 1000 miles left on the AM26  ,  so I can ponder the issue a bit .

The 80 series sport tire that came on it made the speedometer looking optimistic , but the 90 series AM26  landed it 99.8% right with the GPS.   So I need to stay with the 90 series.  If a 140/90 would fit I do it next --- but there isn't such a thing as 140/90-17 anyway  Roll Eyes .

Thanks for the input guys !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/09/19 at 10:34:29

MM, I have gotten over 8K miles on a 712 and replaced it only because I was meeting up with you guys for the Hill Country ride. It still had acceptable tread depth but I did not want to risk it. I have another 712 on the back right now but not sure how many miles on it at the moment. I personally think the 712 is a very good tire for the money.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/09/19 at 10:43:30

My last rear tire was the Shinko 230 tourmaster. It actually wore out a bit faster than the 712. However, the 230 front tire is doing great. I'll try to remember to check numbers when I get home to see how many miles are on that front tire.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 08/10/19 at 22:37:56

Thanks Springman

That settles it , I'm ordering the 712 in 130/90-17 for the Guzzi , the AM26 that replaced the Sport demon did a lot more miles than the Demon did , but it was still disappointing , its down to the wear bars at 8000 miles.  
The Sport Demon was way, way, into the wear bars by 5,000 miles .  

were talking REAR tires here , the front AM26 barely looks broke-in at 7,000 miles.  

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/11/19 at 12:41:50

I really hope it works for you. For the Savage it is a pretty good tire for the money. And yes, I also like to leave the stop lights in a hurry!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 08/11/19 at 17:09:37

What ?  😲

You guys like to leave stop lights QUICKLY ?  🤨

Was no one looking ?  😏

Hmmm ?  🤔

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/11/19 at 18:37:55

I like putting distance between the cars and myself.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/12/19 at 02:51:41

springman wrote on 08/11/19 at 18:37:55:
I like putting distance between the cars and myself.

I sometimes see a wacko/drunk/distracted driver on the road.....and I believe it is safer to stay behind him where I can keep an eye on him if I am in an area with traffic lights and stops signs every block.

When there is a curvy road ahead and I am sure I will lose them....then a pass is immanent!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 08/12/19 at 06:30:21

I recently got a set of 712s.  Unfortunately, I got a crappy front tire with all kinds of runout.  I'm waiting for a replacement.  Hopefully, it will be round.  lol

Seems like a good tire otherwise.  The rear tire is fine.  I had 2 sets of Shinko 705s on the bike before and they were fine.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 08/12/19 at 11:34:34

I have yet to use a 712 in the front. Let us know how it rides.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 09/11/19 at 08:29:31

I finally got a replacement front tire.  It exhibits much of the same imperfections as the first, but it rides fine so far.  Makes me wonder if it's just that the first one was too far out of tolerance or there was a hidden defect causing the ride disturbance.

I've only had a few days of riding on the new front tire, but I'm happy with the 712s so far.  Unfortunately, I suffered a rear flat yesterday on my way home from work so it will be a few days before I can get more time on it.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #14 - 09/11/19 at 15:49:03

I just got the 230s for my Thumpy. Haven't ridden them yet.
Thinking of going with R/F 010 on my Ducati. That bike has a voracious appetite for tires and I'm resigning to the fact I'll never get 4K miles out of any tires on it.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:47:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Shinko 712

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.