Send Topic Print
On mass killing (Read 192 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
On mass killing
08/06/19 at 10:14:45

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: On mass killing
Reply #1 - 08/06/19 at 20:07:51

I agree that even though the Levin and Madfis model is 10 years old and could use some updating it is a more accurate way of dealing with mass murder than just taking away certain gun types.

I do however think that fatality rate per minute needs to be looked at.  Certain methods kill faster, and reducing access to those methods, (for instance I can't go to Wal-Mart and buy grenades and C-4) will be moderately beneficial in some cases.

Also by acknowledging that fatality rate per minute is a concern we can attempt to have productive conversations instead of childish back and forth about who can create the more ridiculous analogy about gun control.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 08/06/19 at 22:30:43

We need more people carrying guns.
Not fewer.
Punishing the law abiding in an effort to protect from crazies and criminals doesn't make sense.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/07/19 at 05:32:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/06/19 at 22:30:43:
Not fewer.

Again, that inane attitude has been disproven this week.

Punishing the law abiding in an effort to protect from crazies and criminals doesn't make sense.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 08/07/19 at 07:20:07

T And T Garage wrote on 08/07/19 at 05:32:02:
Not fewer.

Ohhh, do explain..

You never answered my question

If you were in the immediate proximity of someone who just popped up and started shooting, would you wish you had a gun?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/07/19 at 08:12:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/19 at 07:20:07:
T And T Garage wrote on 08/07/19 at 05:32:02:
Not fewer.

Ohhh, do explain..

You never answered my question

If you were in the immediate proximity of someone who just popped up and started shooting, would you wish you had a gun?

That question is sad in it's own right.  I don't live in fear.

And again, the event in Dayton disproves your theory.  The shooter was engaged in 30 seconds.

End of debate.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/lrc-cdn/assets/2019/08/12310.jpg

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/07/19 at 08:20:17

I feel it's a valid question that for some reason people aren't answering.

If you had the option of having a firearm on your person when someone starts shooting people, would you take it?

In the event that you are in public and someone is shooting people, and there is a loaded functioning firearm within your reach, would you use it?

Is there a situation where you would choose to not defend yourself or others if the appropriate methods of self-defense were available to you?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 08/07/19 at 08:33:33

[quote author=6D4D4F475A4D280 link=1565111685/0#6 date=1565191217]

If you had the option of having a firearm on your person when someone starts shooting people, would you take it?

In the event that you are in public and someone is shooting people, and there is a loaded functioning firearm within your reach, would you use it?

Is there a situation where you would choose to not defend yourself or others if the appropriate methods of self-defense were available to you?

Yes, to all three questions, depending on the particular circumstances of the incident and my assessment of what action was appropriate in that situation, both for my own safety and the safety of others.

Quote:
  Is there a situation where you would choose to not defend yourself...

Only if I was sure I could extricate myself from the situation without having to confront the threat. The only 100% sure way of surviving a gunfight is not to get in one in the first place.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 08/07/19 at 08:38:06

If a guy in room is firing 100 bullets a minute,... am I going to pick up a gun and make myself the conspicuous threat to him?...
That fan of bullets will find focus on me.

Maybe I'll let Mn or Jog do it.  Grin

If he turns his back or stops to reload, maybe I would,... but throwing a chair, and tackling him might be just as effective at that point.

In the Giffords shooting,.. there was a man with a loaded gun in the crowd.  He never drew it. There was no opportunity or clear shot.
The shooter was subdued by someone grabbing the magazine when he tried to reload. Others then tackled and restrained him.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/07/19 at 08:44:46

Eegore wrote on 08/07/19 at 08:20:17:

Eegore - I guess my point is being missed.

Of course I'd want a gun or something to protect myself.  Hell, I'd love an Ironman suit!  I don't think anyone would not want to protect themselves.

But the question itself is folly.  If someone came up to you in a Yugo and challenged you to a race for a million dollars, wouldn't you want the faster car?  If someone pushed you off a boat in the middle of a lake, wouldn't you want to know how to swim?  Well, yeah duh.  But how many times would these things happen in your life?

It's just a lame attempt to show how "we need more guns" is somehow a viable answer to the mass shootings in this country.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/07/19 at 09:14:51

Serowbot wrote on 08/07/19 at 08:38:06:
If a guy in room is firing 100 bullets a minute,... am I going to pick up a gun and make myself the conspicuous threat to him?...
That fan of bullets will find focus on me.

Maybe I'll let Mn or Jog do it.  Grin

If he turns his back or stops to reload, maybe I would,... but throwing a chair, and tackling him might be just as effective at that point.

In the Giffords shooting,.. there was a man with a loaded gun in the crowd.  He never drew it. There was no opportunity or clear shot.
The shooter was subdued by someone grabbing the magazine when he tried to reload. Others then tackled and restrained him.

The nonsense you talk in an attempt to prove a losing point is astounding....

People with guns occasionally stop violent men with gun. It happens. If you were in that Walmart and he's heading your way, you'd sure what the opportunity.

I'm not necessarily in favor of encouraging a large percentage of the population to carry. But I'm not in favor of forbidding reasonable steps to allow those who want to. Last year I was in Houston in a bar with our Texas distributors. Probably 6 or 7 men in the group. All were carrying. Everyone single one. All those men are solid, well respected business men who own companies, have families and employees they're responsible for. I have zero problem with those guys carrying.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/07/19 at 09:31:02

I'm leaning this way after these two shootings.

1) I'm okay with working on some type of national database where high risk people are listed and must go through some type of review before purchasing a firearms.  Now three are a lot of inherent problems with that, but if you read the column the Dayton shooter's girlfriend wrote or the writings the El Paso shooter left, you'd like to think there were opportunities to intercede. Same with Parkland High School kid. There were numerous opportunities with him. Note: there are 300 million ways around that list given that's how many guns are in the country now, but it's possible it will slow down a nutjob buying a gun.  

2) I'd encourage schools to ask for teachers to volunteer to go through training and carry. It would be a good goal to have several teachers in each school who carry and regularly re-train themselves.

3) A national conceal and carry procedure. I don't know why we can't train local law enforcement to conduct classes and basic training for those who want to carry. Not sure how this next part would be done, but the government can't keep a list of who carries.

That's a start.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 08/07/19 at 09:39:38

WebsterMark wrote on 08/07/19 at 09:31:02:
That's a start.

That's the same start Republicans have proposed after every shooting.
Basically,... more good guys with guns.

Hell of a compromise.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/07/19 at 09:43:46

Okay then. If you think getting rid of the 2nd Amendment is a great idea because it's not protecting us at all, I'd suggest getting rid of the 4th Amendment.

Let Uncle Sam just search houses, stop people at random, read emails etc.....  Think of all the crime they'd stop. They could have read the El Paso shooter's writings before he left for El Paso and pulled him over on the highway. They could have read the text and emails between the Dayton shooter and his girlfriend and figured something was up and stopped him.

If you really want to stop killings, change the 4th Amendment.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #14 - 08/07/19 at 10:01:36

There is one thing that keeps getting overlooked in most of the "need more guns" and "outlaw all guns" discussions, and that is "why do these shootings happen in the first place?"  

Even if all firearms were banned it still wouldn't stop these people. They will simply find something else to use as a weapon instead.

What we should be looking at is why are these people deciding to inflict harm to others, and how do we stop that from happening.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 00:18:23

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › On mass killing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.