Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The health of your regulator/rectifier with LED's (Read 437 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: The health of your regulator/rectifier with LE
Reply #30 - 08/12/19 at 06:23:21

Kameleyttary, In your world   , the sun travels around the earth, and the earth is flat.   Electricity is created by a metal passing through a magnetic field (as basic as it gets!)  the magnetic field strength in the motorcycle is fixed  , the field magnets are not electromagnets like are found in cars, therefore the output of the stator IS fixed . the word shunt = bypass , any extra power IS shunted to ground and released as heat.    the truth IS the truth   , if you choose not to believe it ,So be it!
   The MASS of the battery does tend to stabilize the voltage coming from the regulator, but can be disconnected because the alternator always produces more power than the bike uses to run and shunts the rest.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 08/12/19 at 07:25:16

Quote:
Difference between a Shunt regulator and a Mosfet Regulator
A more common shunt-type regulator uses a solid-state electrical component called a Silicon Controlled Rectifier (SCR) as the switch to send stator current to the battery or to ground.  A MOSFET regulator uses its namesake, a Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor to do the switching.  The main differences are in switching speed and heat generation.  The SCR is very slow to switch, and requires lots of electrical current to complete the switch, resulting in lots of heat and variation in the battery voltage.  The MOSFET regulator is extremely quick to switch positions, and requires much less current to control, resulting in a much cooler unit, and significantly more stable battery voltage.

https://mosfet-regulator.com/79_how-does-a-mosfet-regulator-work.html

I guess that explains the little spikes.

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #32 - 08/12/19 at 20:33:06

Please consider this...

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/144607/do-mosfets-have-voltag...

Under certain load or gate current conditions the variable resistance of a MOSFET can be worse than the forward voltage drop of a BJT junction - transistor, diode, SCR etc.
So essentially its as load dependent as whatever is already there now.
It's not a question of which is better but which has been better utilized by the engineers who designed it.

With no load the regulator generates higher heat. But LEDs are a load. They dump heat too. Hence heatsinks and cooling fans. If you have enough LEDs to equal the same load from the incandescent lighting the regulator could care less. Its not shouldering the burden itself.
It's like a scale balance. Load one side with a quarter ounce and the other with half it swings to the half side. Increase the other side by a quarter and it balances out.

Put all the weight on one side and none on the other and crash. Catastrophic heat death. Roll Eyes

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #33 - 08/12/19 at 20:51:17

You could replace the battery with a large value capacitor as long as you didn't mind push starting the bike.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #34 - 08/12/19 at 21:28:36

Or we could just crank it over like a model T  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 08/12/19 at 21:56:56

I replaced my Rectifier with a Mosfet For Honda VT1300CT
Must have the marking FH008 (or larger) on it or it's not a MOSFET.
There are others out there, it was the 1st/cheapest I could find at the time.
It has 5 wires, just cut off the connectors and splice it into the savage connectors.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #36 - 08/14/19 at 05:32:43

Earlier Dave said ,that he had converted to LED's completely and that he had 10,000 miles on his bike without a problem , as I thought about it ,it dawned on me that he hasn't and wont ,have any higher risk than what would be found on a stock bike .  Dave is shunting no more heat than a stock bike ,even with the use of LED's because of his use of kawa pulleys and 18" rear wheel , has changed the speed the alternator and it's output, that is very close to his reduction in electrical load.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 08/14/19 at 06:30:21

batman wrote on 08/14/19 at 05:32:43:
Earlier Dave said ,that he had converted to LED's completely and that he had 10,000 miles on his bike without a problem.   Dave is shunting no more heat than a stock bike ,even with the use of LED's because of his use of kawa pulleys and 18" rear wheel , has changed the speed the alternator and it's output, that is very close to his reduction in electrical load.

I don't tour on this bike....it can't haul luggage and the seat is not one you care to sit on for extended periods.  I have ridden it all day long when we go on rides in the mountain - but we stop every hour or so to get fuel or find out why we are lost!

I spend most of my time between 3,000 - 3,500 rpm on my back road rides.  On the highway 60 mph is 3,500 rpm and 70mph is 4,000 rpm in high gear....I don't spend too much time on the highway and only use it to get to other county roads with hills and curves.  My LED headlight is a Cyclops and requires 32 watts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:21:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The health of your regulator/rectifier with LED's

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.