Need gurus advice (Read 84 times)
turnersid74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Malta
Need gurus advice
08/01/19 at 08:24:59

Hiya , hope all is well with you lot.  My air screw makes no difference if I turn it out or completely close it, the bikes stays the same idle . So I took out the carb cleaned it but still the same. To add the frustration bike started to stutter over 80 kph its like starvation of petrol.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Need gurus advice
Reply #1 - 08/01/19 at 09:03:29

The air screw is not an air screw....it is a fuel screw.  Turning it out provides more fuel flow - turning it in provides less fuel flow.  (Carbs with air screws have the adjusting screw on the air cleaner side of the slide and do control air flow....the Savage carb is on the cylinder side of the slide and controls fuel flow).

You need to turn the idle speed down to around 800 rpm before you can adjust the mixture screw - as the recommended 1,100 rpm idle speed the slide has started to lift and is adding fuel - and this will make adjustment impossible.

If you can turn the screw all the way in and the engine runs smoothly - the pilot jet is too big.  If you can turn the screw out more than 3 turns and the engine still runs smoothly - the pilot jet is too small.

The ideal pilot jet size provides the smoothest running when the screw is out between 2-3 turns for the best idle.

When making the adjustment the engine needs to be fully warmed up, the bike should be held upright and not on the centerstand, and you should do it as quickly as possible as the engine is getting no cooling air and the oil pressure is too low at 800 rpm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
turnersid74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Malta
Reply #2 - 08/01/19 at 09:36:48

Thanks Dave.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 08/01/19 at 22:07:16

Do you have a stock vacuum petcock? did you remove the float valve seat and clean the filter that sits above it? did you set the float level?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
turnersid74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Malta
Reply #4 - 08/02/19 at 06:51:05

Hi Batman and thanks , am running on Raptor petcock and did not set the floats cos they   where at the right settings. The problem was I do not have an air compressor and some dirt was still in the carb, used my mates compressor and Voila we are back in business.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 08/02/19 at 09:42:46

Hope you have miles of  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
turnersid74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Malta
Reply #6 - 08/02/19 at 10:24:17

That's the plan mate thanks again.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1