Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on the Honda CB500X? (Read 68 times)
DesertCat

Thoughts on the Honda CB500X?
07/31/19 at 17:48:30

There's a nice used 2017 for sale pretty close to me.  Anyone have any experience with this bike?  It weighs in (curb weight) at 428 lbs -- about the same weight as a KLR650. It's a parallel twin, water-cooled, EFI.

2017-Honda-CB500X.jpg
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Re: Thoughts on the Honda CB500X?
Reply #1 - 07/31/19 at 19:23:49

I've been reading some reviews and apparently it is not a good off-road bike, even though it's billed as an "adventure" bike.  Good road bike though, which is how I would use it.  At 428 lbs wet, it's heavier than I want.  The DR650 is only about 366 lbs wet.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/01/19 at 05:52:21

Last year I was considering the CB500F as a potential "me and sometimes we" bike.  I wanted a reliable, comfortable, mid sized motorcycle that I could ride in a "festive" manner around the local roads.......and a motorcycle that I could tour on comfortably by myself - as well as one that I could take short rides with the wife on the back.

The Honda CB500F isn't very attractive to my old eyes, the chain final drive was not desirable, and the passenger seat was not designed with my retired wife in mind.  I can see that the CB500X is not really much different than the CB500F.....not sure what an "adventure" bike is - but I can see it would not make a good "off road"or "dual sport" bike that is ridden in mud or dirt. It might do fine on gravel roads.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #3 - 08/01/19 at 06:02:17

Dave wrote on 08/01/19 at 05:52:21:
 I can see that the CB500X is not really much different than the CB500F.....not sure what an "adventure" bike is - but I can see it would not make a good "off road"or "dual sport" bike that is ridden in mud or dirt. It might do fine on gravel roads.

==================================

I think I'll pass on this bike.

An adventure bike is usually 80/20.  80% road and 20% trail/gravel road.  For this reason the tires are usually 80/20 also.  They aren't meant as serious off-road bikes.

The problem seems to be that the suspension of the CB500X is basically the same as the CB500R, a total street bike.

Here's a pretty good review . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eNh0qLuGbE&t=800s

« Last Edit: 08/08/19 at 17:03:25 by DesertCat »  
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/01/19 at 11:07:43

Coincidentally I looked over a new Honda 500F just two days ago at a nearby new dealer who bought out the stock of our local dealer who retired.
It would seem that there is a lot of good that can be said about the Honda 500 line but like Dave I just didn't get excited about the styling.  For me to ride it and many other modern bikes I like to modify the seat and relocate the pegs (due to some injuries) and it didn't look like it would be a real easy task.

I also looked over a Kawasaki W800, very nice but rocking it sideways it seemed to be a little top heavy and I am looking for something light.  

The Kawasaki Vulcan S seems like an interesting bike with lots of good reviews on youtube and the COG seems to be very low and even though it is close to 500 lbs. it felt light.  I'm not a big cruiser fan but I am keeping an open mind about the Vulcan S.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 08/01/19 at 11:37:36

My problem with any Honda is the way they flip-flopped the horn button with the turn signal cancel button. If I ever buy another Honda, the first upgrade will be swap the left control with a Suzuki or Kawasaki control.

As far as ADV bikes go, I've put 40,000 on my  Suzuki V-Strom 650, it just wont quit. I've dropped it countless times, and crashed it twice, the thing just wants to go places. It's good for commuting,  twisties, forest roads, and touring. I wouldn't take it off-road, I don't think any 600-700cc ADV bike is made for that (too top heavy).  The only complaint I have about this dorky looking bike is that it's chain drive, and I have to spend an hour a month scrubbing all the flinged chain grease off the swingarm and shock.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 08/02/19 at 01:33:41

With the season half over, some real bargoons will start appearing in a few weeks. Patience will pay off, you can get the bike you really want ! cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/02/19 at 03:45:47

zipidachimp wrote on 08/02/19 at 01:33:41:
With the season half over........ )

Yikes!  I still have a lot of riding to get done! Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:35:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Thoughts on the Honda CB500X?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.