Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuse clarification (Read 68 times)
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Fuse clarification
07/26/19 at 07:18:11

In the nest of wires from the previous owner was the fuse "box".  Looks like 2 fuses.  Well, when I started my bike this morning to check some things the power on it completely cut out.  So naturally, I checked the fuses after checking some other things.  One of the 2 fuses was blown.  So that's probably why bike electric is out.  My question is, and from doing searches, that both fuses should be 20amp fuses... Is this correct?  The blown fuse is a 15amp fuse.  I want to make sure I replace it with the correct one.

Thank you for your help!

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fuse clarification
Reply #1 - 07/26/19 at 07:32:01

both should be 20's

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 07/26/19 at 08:22:46

Fuses don't usually open without reason. I'd look for a chafed wire before you are replacing burned wires.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #3 - 07/26/19 at 10:15:03

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 07/26/19 at 08:22:46:
Fuses don't usually open without reason. I'd look for a chafed wire before you are replacing burned wires.

I have all the wires hanging out because this is a project bike that I bought off of someone who made a big mess out of this poor bike.  I am sure that with the vibration etc that one of the wires or the solenoid hit something and caused the short.  The wiring is a complete mess and quite a daunting task to tackle. This guy tried to eliminate some wires I think, and he wrapped everything with electrical tape, so all the wire are covered in a black sticky mess, it sucks.  I wish it were easy to replace the wiring.  I would much rather purchase new harnesses and even a new solenoid because mine seems to be missing the bracket that was holding it in place before, so now I will have to rig something up when I find a space to mount it.

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/26/19 at 15:25:16

If the bike started the solenoid can't be bad . Your pic from before showed it surrounded by rubber (stock) you should be able to mount it with something like an electrical cable clamp. ( half moon shape with a holed flange at each end)
     If it seems to much hassle ,you can buy a used harness off Ebay , I've seen them go for about $45.00 , some years are only slightly different ,with different connectors ,but nothing you couldn't work around by cutting  them out and hard wiring.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #5 - 07/26/19 at 16:10:47

batman wrote on 07/26/19 at 15:25:16:
    If the bike started the solenoid can't be bad . Your pic from before showed it surrounded by rubber (stock) you should be able to mount it with something like an electrical cable clamp. ( half moon shape with a holed flange at each end)
     If it seems to much hassle ,you can buy a used harness off Ebay , I've seen them go for about $45.00 , some years are only slightly different ,with different connectors ,but nothing you couldn't work around by cutting  them out and hard wiring.

Yeah, I know the solenoid is good. I just know that it's always hot and if something touches it then the fuse can blow.  And I know what you are talking about to mount it, I will pick something like that up. Thank you!

When you say I can get a used harness on eBay, do you mean all the harnesses for the bike with all of the wires coming off, or...? I'm not opposed to hardwiring stuff, I would just rather take the easy way out on the electronics. Lol. I think the harness is good on the bike, but it's the wires that plug into the harness. All of those seem to be the real mess. I hope I am understanding it all correctly. If I were to wire off of the existing plugs so everything is fresh, what's the suggested gauge wire, or the best wire to use?

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!

And I started removing a lot of the electrical tape and stumbled across this dumbness. Looks like the previous owner decided to tap into one of the heavier cables off of the solenoid... Ugh!

« Last Edit: 07/26/19 at 17:41:40 by Tacopimp »  

Optimized-InShot_20190726_203837461.jpg

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 07/28/19 at 17:52:57

The wiring harness would be all the main wires running the length of the bike with one side of the connecters ,where you would plug in the ignition box , reg/rectifier, kickstand, clutch headlight, turn signals etc. the problem is that some of the connecters changed thru different years so you would have to buy new ones to match ,or cut and splice the wires.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 10:18:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuse clarification

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.