Send Topic Print
Modified Pulley Spacer (Read 878 times)
Duncantheguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Modified Pulley Spacer
Reply #60 - 04/11/20 at 13:46:54

Armen, haven't checked back in was waiting for my new bearing to show up. Will be replacing the bearing and spacer and sending back the old one this week. Cheers

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #61 - 04/20/20 at 11:01:07

Welp, I got my new modified spacer and bearing in last week (thx Armen!) and got them installed over the weekend (thx for the write up Dragbikemike!).
Took me about 3-4 hours total. Mainly, the heat/cool part and then adjusting the belt in the pulley since I don't have much wiggle room with the larger front pulley mod.

I never did any proper measurements of the pulley deflection other than grabbing front to back on the pulley and feeling a fair amount of play but it's been that way for quite some time (25k mileage). I always figured it was play in the rubber dampers that was causing it.
I have the modified front pulley too for those of you who are interested. I was a bit concerned that might be a problem but it wasn't really.

I've only had a chance to take it out on a couple of short runs after the install but holy heck, what a difference!

Absolutely no wobble now. One thing I didn't expect was that for the longest time, whenever I would lay the bike over in some steep turns it always felt a little sloppy coming out of the turns.
I figured it was just my imagination but with the positive contact on the pulley now I realize it was probably just pulley wobble...it is actually quite a different more confident feel.

If you're considering this mod I highly recommend it if the back end of your bike feels a little squirrelly.
Smiley

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #62 - 04/20/20 at 11:37:25

Hey Bubba,
Glad to hear it!! So great that the bike is happier now! So glad Drag Bike Mike figured out this fix. Rare that there is a simple cheap fix to a significant problem.
Ride safe Smiley
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #63 - 04/20/20 at 14:00:48

Interesting!  I have had occasions on long sweeping high-speed corners where it felt like I was about to enter the Harley death wobble statistics book. I have always had the shim mod in my pulley, but wonder if those episodes were a result of the remaining pulley wobble?

Now that I have completed the swap I will have to pay closer attention to this next time I am out tearing up the empty town roads  Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #64 - 04/20/20 at 14:20:54

Funny you say this.
Something I've been thinking about. If there is any flex in the rear axle, this setup might make the left side a bit stiffer. Locating the spacer in the new (wider) bearing, and transferring the load over a larger are of the axle might make it stiffer. I've been thinking about other bikes I could do a similar mod on.
thanks

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #65 - 04/20/20 at 14:55:35

Based on the way I cut the grass, I may need you to make me some some of these spacers for my riding mower too  Cheesy

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #66 - 04/25/20 at 19:33:38

So, Bubba, any more miles on the bike? More feedback?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #67 - 04/28/20 at 08:59:33

Yah, I've put some miles on it...sorry, I haven't been on in a bit...being in Denver we go from snow to 70 degrees in the span of a few hours so spring riding can be a challenge...

Anyway, I took the bike out last Sunday for about a 60 mile ride. It definitely is an big improvement with the solid pulley working with me now. I had a stretch of about 20 miles with pavement grinding going on...I hate when they do that but the end result's are worth it.
Some sweeping turns and long straightaways made me feel like the back end was finally gripping when it should.

It's interesting to me that I always presumed the rear of the bike was always going to be somewhat sloppy feeling...maybe it's just my imagination but for whatever reason it feels nice and solid now.

Thanks again Armen and I'll get the core in the mail this week for you!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #68 - 04/28/20 at 09:18:36

Hey hey,
Thanks for the feedback. Wonder if the other folks noticed a difference.
take care

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #69 - 05/06/20 at 14:07:14

OK, so I got the last stock spacer back in the mail today. I have a few ready to ship if anyone is interested.
thanks!
-Armen

IP Logged
Jdvt600

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 06/06/20 at 08:29:08

PM sent

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #71 - 06/06/20 at 08:37:52

PM sent!
thanks!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #72 - 06/06/20 at 09:39:07

I guess PayPal must have changed their rules, and are taking a fee even if the transfer is labelled as a gift. The payment I just received was minus $1.03 for fees.
So, the new price for the spacer is $26, and send me the old one.
thanks,
-Armen
And, of course, you have to buy a bearing.

IP Logged
Jdvt600

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #73 - 06/06/20 at 10:28:17

Armen wrote on 06/06/20 at 09:39:07:
I guess PayPal must have changed their rules, and are taking a fee even if the transfer is labelled as a gift. The payment I just received was minus $1.03 for fees.
So, the new price for the spacer is $26, and send me the old one.
thanks,
-Armen
And, of course, you have to buy a bearing.

@Armen,

I could have been my mistake. That was my first time using the "gift" option in PayPal and their instructions did not match the onscreen options. I'll get the missing amount to you.

Copy on the bearing. I've ordered the ebay doublewide.

-JD

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #74 - 06/10/20 at 06:31:43

No mistake about it - PayPal is now charging a fee even for friends and family.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 00:25:13

General CategoryThe Marketplace › Modified Pulley Spacer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.