Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mikuni VM with Thunder Products upgrades vs. TM (Read 74 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mikuni VM with Thunder Products upgrades vs. TM
07/20/19 at 01:28:29

I'm deciding between getting a Mikuni VM 36 ~$100 round slide carb, with the Thunder Products UFO $35, Quad-Flo Torque Wing $100, and one of their fuel flow systems (Dial-a-Jet $75, Intelajet $200, or the Thunder Power Jet $80 - with the deep well float bowl nut).  Or going with the more expensive, but better performing Mikuni TM 36 flat slide carb.  There seems to be two options for this.  One is the stock carb for $170, and then there is what pops up much more in my searches which is the carb with an accelerator pump, which I've found for around $260 (and some going into the mid $400's.)  I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between these different TM versions...

So, if I go with the VM and upgrade it, I'd be looking at a cost between $310-$435, depending on which fuel flow system I go with.

I was considering the stock TM at $170, and from what I've read they basically have the air turbulence all figured out, so that would mean there is no need for the UFO or the quad wing.  This would just leave a fuel flow system, but I'm curious if the version with the accelerator pump basically has that built in.  If so, that's all the benefits of a fully upgraded VM without having to make mods that I could possibly mess up, but professionally made, for at the least $260 for the flat slide carb.  I am curious as to what the more costly versions of the TM have to offer, besides a choke that can be relocated.  I guess they also come with the necessary cables one would need, but the VM carb would also need a custom throttle cable.

Regardless of those extras, does anyone have any opinions about which of the two would be the better, higher performance carb?  I've read a bit on the forum here and haven't gotten much of an answer so far.  It just seems that like nearly everyone has the VM and the TM is considered more complex for some..?  I dunno, any help would be greatly appreciated though!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Mikuni VM with Thunder Products upgrades vs. T
Reply #1 - 07/20/19 at 04:04:13

How are you going to ride this bike?  Do you use full throttle at every opportunity.....what other engine mods have you done?

I have the basic VM36 carb....no other options, and I took time to get it jetted properly so that it runs really well.

It suits my riding style just fine and I don't feel a need for all the extras and options.  I ride curvy back roads and the bike stays around 3,000 - 4,000 rpm for the ride....I very seldom use more than 1/3rd throttle as I carve the corners.  My excitement is found in the corners and not in full throttle attempts to break the speed limit.  Installing a lot of extras for more power and speed would really not change my ride at all.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/20/19 at 04:37:30

Well I'm terms of mods I've stripped it down trying to make it more like a cafe racer.  I removed the air box and battery and replaced it with a lipo battery that I mounted on the muffler bracket beneath the swing arm.  I actually have made the Mikuni VM 36 mods already, but I am thinking of selling those to replace with the TM carb just cause it has been a pain getting the VM properly jetted with the UFO and the other mods I mentioned.  I just think it would be much easier to swap to the TM carb so I can have all those benefits stock and hopefully have an easier time properly jetting it.  I plan on eventually doing a big bore mod along with performance cams and the versy cam chain tensioner.  I have a Dyna exhaust, and I've lowered the front shocks, though I'm hoping to swap out the front with a Fzr600r and the rear with an r1 swing arm like in this build.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1375320516

I do ride pretty aggressively though, and often go full throttle, so I would definitely love the increase in power.  I know the big bore kit will do a lot for that, but that's likely a long ways out.  I think the quickest mod I can do for the most power would be the TM carb..  Does that sound right?  Do you know if my initial thoughts about how they compare are accurate?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 07/20/19 at 12:02:17

Did you look at the Dyno test comparisons between a TM and a VM with UFO on the Thunder Products site ?
Lonn has that info available there.  It was in the past.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/20/19 at 14:12:06

I can't seem to find that comparison chart.  Do you think you could link it please?  I'm curious, does it just compare them with the UFO only, or does it also show them with the other products they offer?  That's one of the reasons why I'm considering the TM since it seems to have all the benefits of nearly all the Thunder Products built in (at least in the TM with the fuel pump accelerator).  I mean if I can get the benefits of all those things in a stock TM carb for like $270ish, that sounds like a no brainer to me...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 07/20/19 at 15:59:41

Traveling right now so cannot check.
I believe he tested a plain  VM, VM+ UFO & plain TM.
As I remember the plain Angry TM had a slight advantage in the mid range over the VM, and the VM+UFO had the advantage in the low-mid range over the TM.
None had an accelerator pump.

Both carb types have a Torque Wing available I believe, and both can be fitted with a DAJ or Intella-jet.  There is no UFO for the TM or any flat slide carb.  I prefer a DAJ/IJ over the Power Jet which shoots raw fuel into the carb unlike the DAJ.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/20/19 at 16:41:35

Oh sweet, that's very good info to know.  I'm gonna definitely have to find that comparison chart now, lol.  So which would you go with (assuming they both had all the performance upgrades available), and why?

Also, I was wondering, what order would you recommend for getting the motor upgraded, if you couldn't just do it all at once? Like big bore kit, carb upgrade, performance cams, etc..?

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/20/19 at 17:13:05

Also, if I had to choose between just one of those motor upgrades, which would you say is the best to get?  I'm gonna assume the big bore upgrade, but those cams seem very powerful too.  I already have the VM 36 with UFO, so I don't necessarily need to replace that with the TM at all since it already adds such great power...  The big bore kit is the most costly, but not by a whole lot more.

Also, besides the Ryca conversion kit for rearset foot controls, does anyone know of another that would work with the bike that isn't gonna set me back nearly as much?  It looks so cool, but darn it seems rather over priced..

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 07/20/19 at 21:26:55

I run a vm36 with ufo,quad wing,intelajet,with a foam air filter(Uni) and a carb heat shield.  Don’t waste your $$ on a dial a jet just man up for the intelajet , just love that I can adjust my fuel delivery on the fly. I don’t know much about the TM , but I like my set up. It’s pretty fast , not scary fast but fast , it will elevate you heart rate and have you breathing hard in short order. Adrenaline rush on two wheels. Never fails putting huge grin on this ugly mug !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 01:45:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni VM with Thunder Products upgrades vs. TM

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.