Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blue header pipes - sign of excessive heat? (Read 114 times)
DesertCat

Blue header pipes - sign of excessive heat?
07/18/19 at 11:47:11

OK, I've had BMW boxers.  I have 2 right now and their header pipes start to turn blue after a a couple hundred miles.  I accept that because of the single-wall construction that BMW uses on their header pipes -- and they aren't chromed -- well the R1200C cruiser (infamous James Bond bike) has chrome header pipes, but that's the only boxer that does.

Does a blue header pipe on an LS650 mean anything?  I've seen pics of LS650s with almost 10K miles and the chrome header pipe looks brand new.  I've also seen LS650s with fewer miles and the header pipe is blue for a foot from the head.  Is this a sign of excessive heating of the engine?

Is the LS650 header pipe a double-wall construction?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Blue header pipes - sign of excessive heat?
Reply #1 - 07/18/19 at 12:19:34

Yes, it can indicate a lean running savage.
Although there are other reasons it turns blue too.

Yes, double wall.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 07/18/19 at 12:44:35

It's a mystery.  The aviation industry seems to be of the opinion that stoichiometric yields the highest exhaust gas temp.  Only da Shadow knows.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1552607217

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 07/18/19 at 12:45:45

FWIW My 2014 has almost 10000 on it and the pipe is like new. I live at 4000' so it runs richer than most, I also raised the needle a bit .035".

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 07/18/19 at 12:50:56

DBM,
On aircraft we always leaned to max temp minus 25C on the lean side for best economy. however some engines didn't like to run that lean. I think it depended on your attitude when you set the mixture. Grin

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/18/19 at 12:59:03

The chrome turning blue is a result of a an oxidation of the chrome that occurs once it gets above a certain temperature.  The funny thing is that if you go a "Google" search - you get lots of opinions but very few real facts from reliable sources.

I believe that the majority of Savages with blue pipes come from riding in traffic, excessive idling, starting the bike and letting it "warm up" for a few minutes before you head out, riding in really hot weather....anything that doesn't let air blow over the outer pipe to cool it down.  The folks that like to start their bike and let it idle to charge the battery during the off season can have really blue pipes.

I am headed down my driveway about 20 seconds after I fire the bike up, I avoid aggressive riding and a lot of throttle until I get a few miles down the road and the engine has warmed up - and my pipe is nice and shiny silver after 12,000 miles.

I believe that our gearhead shade tree mechanics have figured that since exhaust valves, spark plugs and pistons can get burned when an engine is running lean - it must be running hotter.  The exhaust temperature gauge shows that to be a wrong assumption in the exhaust stream.

I have never seen any testing and actual data to show that pipes turn blue because the fuel mixture is lean.......only shade tree mechanic opinions.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #6 - 07/18/19 at 13:03:21

Dave wrote on 07/18/19 at 12:59:03:
I believe that the majority of Savages with blue pipes come from riding in traffic, excessive idling, riding in really hot weather....anything that doesn't let air blow over the outer pipe to cool it down.  The folks that like to start their bike and let it idle to charge the battery during the off season can have really blue pipes.

========================

I remember reading on a BMW forum that a guy was doing that one night, then forgot or got distracted, came out and saw that his exhaust headers were glowing a dull red color.   Shocked

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 07/18/19 at 13:06:13

My Triumph Bonneville would do that. I only let it happen once. :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/18/19 at 13:17:06

norm92de wrote on 07/18/19 at 12:50:56:
DBM,
On aircraft we always leaned to max temp minus 25C on the lean side for best economy. however some engines didn't like to run that lean. I think it depended on your attitude when you set the mixture. Grin

If you're flying on a savage you either have a big grin or you're sheeting big time.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/18/19 at 13:20:02

My Sherco trials motorcycle had a stainless header pipe....in order to save weight it was very thin.

While riding the bike in the evenings you could see the header pipe glowing a dull red after climbing hills or doing anything that required you to have the engine wound up a bit for 10-15 seconds.  Stainless is not as good of a heat conductor as plain steel, so it does not transfer the heat to the head or downstream to the muffler end - and the thin pipe made the condition even worse.  The stainless would discolor as a result of this heat, and you needed to polish it once in a while if you didn't like a dark brown pipe.

One evening I was leaving the woods just as it was getting too dark to ride anymore.  For some reason I turned around and looked back into the woods, and I saw a small orange glow.  I went back and found some leaves on fire.  When riding in leaves sometimes the front wheel would deposit them on the header pipe - and evidently I set one on fire and it fell off and was starting a small fire.  Thank goodness I saw it or my whole woods may have burned!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #10 - 07/18/19 at 13:27:21

Versy,
I have never been able to find the mixture control lever on a Savage. it would probably distract me from looking out for traffic. Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/18/19 at 13:36:15

Dave wrote on 07/18/19 at 12:59:03:
I have never seen any testing and actual data to show that pipes turn blue because the fuel mixture is lean.......only shade tree mechanic opinions.

Dave, we have the same warmup procedure.  
And I don't apply anything to the header to keep it shiny that might blue when heated.
When I got my bike it was stock for a 96 and the headers blued.
I rejetted and they went from blue to gold.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 07/18/19 at 17:17:54

I'm surprised. I have always thought that once blue always blue.

Does that mean it might return to chrome again?

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #13 - 07/18/19 at 17:22:46

There are several products on the market that claim to be able to rub the blue away.  Don't believe them.  You'll have just as much luck with any cheap sort of chrome polish, which won't work either.  Oh, the pipes may look slightly melllower after you've worked on them for 30 minutes -- but as soon as you start the bike, the pipes are right back to the same blue as before.  The blue isn't some surface thing, it's down into the metal structure.

Maybe some chemist or structural engineer on the board can explain the bluing of header pipes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 07/19/19 at 14:59:06

My showroom floor looking header turned blue in a matter of minutes when I was listening to the valves, gunning it up and letting off. It made five thousand miles, stock, and I screwed it up in almost no time.

Some of them turn blue because they need rejetted, some need someone to do something like I did.
Mine WAS lean, but not so bad as to blue the pipe.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 15:43:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blue header pipes - sign of excessive heat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.