Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Having trouble loosening fork legs from crown (Read 235 times)
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Re: Having trouble loosening fork legs from crown
Reply #30 - 07/20/19 at 06:34:46

I managed to get the top nut off (it was actually a 30mm nut and NOT 29mm as I wrote earlier) but now I can't remove the top plate. I know it's not supposed to be that hard but I have tried tapping it from the other end with a wood stick and a mallet and allso applying heat but it doesn't matter. It wont move at all. I think it may have rusted together with the part going from the bottom plate through the frame.

DSC_1332.JPG
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #31 - 07/20/19 at 06:36:53

I even used this tool whatever the english name for it is and it didn't help. I also noticed the the bearing seem to be bad. It's hard to tell from the video but it's not smooth at all, but rather "jerky" so I think I need to replace that as well and in order to do that I am pretty sure I HAVE to get the top plate off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuO4YfcXwfQ

DSC_1333.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 07/20/19 at 08:23:29

I think your problem is everything is corroded together.
Apply pen oil and let it soak in, then apply more, give it a smack, apply more.... etc.

WWW   IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #33 - 07/22/19 at 03:59:52

I have decided to not remove the top part of the fork crown and instead focus on just changing the fork seals. I am so far outside my comfort zone with this project it's just ridiculous. I watched a ~1 hour youtube video several times before I started and felt: "Hey, this actually looks doable".

Everything is corroded together and won't come of without stupid amounts of force and/or heat. I have finally managed to separate the fork legs but I think I need new seal springs or whatever it is called. Instead of posting a single pic I added the pictures I took in a shared album instead: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPzP1p-Vidr0am_ASW144WW-EaZJu3AxZtBaP0GV...

Should I slide the old seals off to the bottom of the tube or the top?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 07/22/19 at 06:45:00

Although you can get the bottom fork legs off the tubes without removing the tubes from the clamps/yokes - the seals have to come off the top of the tubes, as the tubes have bearings/sliders on the bottom.

Somehow you need to get the tubes out of the clamps/yokes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 07/22/19 at 07:11:45

You just need to build the forks in reverse order.
If you took the seals off last off the bottom, they'll need to go on 1st and etc.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #36 - 07/22/19 at 18:03:59

We don't know if you've  heard, but the best pen. oil is a 50/50 mix of acetone & transmission fluid .  If  your dealing with salt corrosion ,I don't think heat is going to help ( I may be wrong).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #37 - 07/23/19 at 01:02:01

Yeas I think I remember something about Acetone and ATF. I think I have seen a recipe somewhere with aliphatic mineral spirits and even Kerosene thrown in the mix as well. So far I have only used 5-56 which is similar to WD-40.

My frame have rust here and there as well so it may very well have been driven in the winter or early spring when there is still a lot of salt left on the roads.

My main concern right now is that the pitting in the lower part of the fork where the seal is supposed to sit may be so severe it won't make a proper seal and I may have to replace the front forks altogether. The springs that is holding the seals in place are almost rusted up but I'm having some trouble locating new one quickly so I will put the old ones back and ride while figuring out a permanent solution. I think I will try and find another bike and use parts from both to make a really good one and keep the parts that are still usable as spares.

One important question for you guys: Should I clean out the fork tubes with degreaer or breakclean or similar before putting everything back together?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #38 - 07/23/19 at 10:13:51

I would just drain as much old fork oil as you can and replace with new .Anything else might attack the seals.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #39 - 07/27/19 at 13:27:41

Just wanted to thank you all and let you know that the bike has been put back together with new seals. There was not much left of the fork seal springs and the pitting where the seal sits is severe, but I decided to do the best I could hope for the best.

I will probably buy another Savage in the future and use the best parts from both bike to build a really great one. Until then I will keep on practicing so I can get my drivers license.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 12:36:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Having trouble loosening fork legs from crown

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.