Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any love for Honda Super Magna? (Read 137 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Any love for Honda Super Magna?
07/12/19 at 20:38:53

I had a coworker who rode one in the late 80s and he was always professing his love for it. I see by the prices they go for (less than I paid for Thumpy) that they haven't been hyped to hell yet and I'm guessing they aren't good for bobber conversions since I haven't seen ads for busted half finished "roller" projects with them.

I remember liking the exhaust sounds and the overkill big hair 80s styling too.
Anything worthwhile about these machines?

00C0C_42rfaUHvGv9_600x450.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Any love for Honda Super Magna?
Reply #1 - 07/13/19 at 03:50:27

I worked on a neighbors Magna that had been sitting for years and needed the fuel system and carbs cleaned - he gave me the bike for free just to get it out of his garage.

The first time I took the carbs off for cleaning took 4 hours as I discovered how to take things apart.   It is a real puzzle, and the metal coolant lines needed to come off in the process, and one screw that holds the pipe to the cylinder was a real bugger to access.  I finally discovered that I needed to use a 1/4" drive socket, a flex drive, and a 2' long extension and snake the whole affair down past the top tube and wiring harness - as you could not get any kind of wrench on it.  The CV slide diaphragms needed to be replaced and the factory no longer makes them, thankfully there was an aftermarket source.  I got the bike back together with a couple full days work to clean the 4 carbs and install the diaphragms, and it ran fine - but one of the O-rings on the steel coolant lines was leaking.

The second time I took it apart went much faster as I just had to repeat the parts removal without as much thinking....I believe it took 2 hours to get it apart and 3 to get it back together.  I replaced the O-rings on both ends of the 2 steel coolant lines.  It ran fine and there were no coolant leaks - but one of the plastic tubes that runs fuel between the carbs had developed a leak.

The 3rd time I took it apart was painful......I was just getting tired of working on this dang bike.  The 4 carbs all bolt together - the back two are in a normal horizontal orientation and the front two are steeply sloped forward) - and there are plastic pipes with O-rings that pass the fuel between them.  The O-rings or pipes are no longer available from Honda.....thankfully somebody makes new ones from metal and I was able to take the carbs apart again and install them.

Once back together the bike ran fine, and was smooth and pretty darn quick (750cc version).  I had worked on it for hours and hours and hours over a period of a month while I waited for parts to arrive - and since the bike was 30 years old I wondered what would break next?  I put it on Craigslist and sold it.......and I kept half the money and gave half to my neighbor.

So.......I just want to make you aware that this bike is a real pain to work on, and most of the parts are no longer available from Honda.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2 - 07/13/19 at 06:39:08

It sounds real painful to work on. I'm not looking to buy one I was just curious about them and how they hold up after all these years.
I was wondering if the low prices they sell for was due to reliability or just general unpopularity.

When I am in a position to buy another bike it's going to be a dual sport bike. The lightest one I can afford that can still hit highway speeds. Got my eyes on a Husky TE310 but I'm sure it will be gone by the time I'm ready.

Gonna offload my Duck at the end of the year. Plan is to make Thumpy my daily rider, use the dual sport for trail riding upstate and at some point getting a touring bike for long distance rides.
Maybe this time next year if I don't wind up unemployed again.

I think I might like to take a Super Magna for a ride sometime though. Something perverse about a sportbike engine in a cruiser that appeals to me. The high revving nature of that motor would eventually get on my nerves though.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #3 - 07/13/19 at 08:27:03

I've been seriously looking at this low-mileage (14k miles) 1988 Super Magna . . .

1988-Honda-SuperMagna.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/13/19 at 09:04:54

Your driveway has a speed limit?...
That's awesome!...  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #5 - 07/13/19 at 09:07:11

Serowbot wrote on 07/13/19 at 09:04:54:
Your driveway has a speed limit?...
That's awesome!...  Grin

============

I didn't notice that.   Grin

Not my house.  Not my bike.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #6 - 07/13/19 at 09:54:23

I'm always fighting the desire to buy older, classic bikes.  I don't mind doing minor maintenance on bikes but I really don't have the experience (or the time) to do major maintenance.  And the parts availability of older bikes is not so good sometimes.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #7 - 07/15/19 at 10:21:31

A guy I used to work with bought on a couple of year ago. One thing he found out was that if you wanted to keep the stock tire sizes, the only one for the front was a Dunlop D401 (which is a Harley tire  Cool)

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #8 - 07/15/19 at 13:20:20

A bike I'm determined to own is the Honda Sabre which is the ugly duck version of the Magna that people have cafe'd and bobbed with that lovely mono shock for a cool floating seat look. They are both cheap and they are powerful bikes that are underrated.

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 07/16/19 at 21:14:00

One of my brothers had a V-65 , is that the same motor ?   Well , he just loved his , but he got tired of those 4-carbs needing so much attention and now rides a  old 1200 Sportster with a single carb. .  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #10 - 07/17/19 at 11:53:11

Same engine I believe also , the v45 is a 750 the v65 is an 1100. Yeah That's what I love about my sporty and savage. One carb = one headache only. However that shaft drive is beautiful thing as long as it doesn't leak. I hear that's a headache all it's own though rare.

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #11 - 07/17/19 at 12:38:03

The V45 (750 cc) and V65 (1100 cc) were two different engines but of almost the exact same design:  90 degree V-4s, transverse mounted in the frame.

The V45 was also the basis of Honda's road racing bikes of that era.

« Last Edit: 07/17/19 at 17:55:38 by DesertCat »  
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 07/17/19 at 21:05:51

WunGun

I like the belt better and believe it's a better system.  On the BMW the MotoGuzzi and the Gold Wing the crank shaft spins on the same plane as the drive-shaft  - the shaft works nicely.  

But when the crankshaft  and the drive shaft spin at 90 deg angles to each other then the BELT makes a lot more sense !   Every time you have to change directions you lose energy.

Maybe YouzGuyz will tell us how long a belt can last ?    Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #13 - 07/18/19 at 06:03:44

Worked on a few of the V-4 Honda cruisers back then. Akin to tattooing your own hemmeroids. Someone begged me to work on one a while ago. Told him there wasn't enough money in the world.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #14 - 07/19/19 at 13:13:25

I had a 2002 Magna cruiser.  It was a nice bike, lots of power, nice sound, but I never had to work on it or even pay someone to work on it.  Like most of the bikes I've had, I bought it used and sold it when I got tired of it.  It was almost completely stock and hadn't been buggered up yet by some idiot.

2002-Magna.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 05:02:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Any love for Honda Super Magna?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.