Gel seat??? (Read 122 times)
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Gel seat???
07/11/19 at 21:33:09

Gel seat topper???
Hello everyone. I am experiancining ALOT of seat time this summer!👍in a post ,cant remember which, but Dave recommended a "gel seat"
Let me start I have a seat I want to recover, I bought what appears to be a top quality marine grade vinyl cover pleated etc. From eBay cant complain about the price either!!
Of my 3 seat "carcasses" I found a VHERTY foam, before I recover it, I'd like more info on thes " gel seat" Dave spoke of!!! 340 miles on Sunday non stop cept for gas and lunch made my bottom kinda NUMB!!!

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Re: Gel seat???
Reply #1 - 07/11/19 at 21:39:49

Is this gel thing something I'd want yo put UNDER THE new cover before I attach it? Or it looks like thes "fell pads" go on top of the existing seat?
Thanks
Michael

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/12/19 at 03:11:08

Take your pick....there are lots for sale.  Here are a couple examples - that yellow stuff is really expensive!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48x35x1cm-Universal-Gel-Pad-Motorcycle-Seat-Cushion-...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Luimoto-Motorcycle-Gold-Gel-Inserts-GG1/173939377279...

There are videos on YouTube for how to cut the foam and glue the insert into place.

The Airhawk seat is supposed to be really good for placing on the seat.  Experienced users claim you want very little air in it.  I don't know what size fits the Savage best.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRHAWK-R-Air-Pad-Motorcycle-Seat-Cushion-Small-11-x...

Stewmills has a Sheepskin cover and swears by it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/12/19 at 07:41:11

I have a faux sheepskin cover that my buddies wife sewed up for me.
It definitely makes the ride easier, and also never gets scorching when parked in the sun.
Very important here in S Az...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 07/12/19 at 08:59:59

I just love my Corbin with gel in it.   I believe a cussion of gel two inches thick would be about right.

a layer of sheep fur on top would make it perfect !  Wink

So , how does the gel keep its shape .   It seems like a thick liquid in a bag to me .   But it sure feels good to sit on !  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 07/12/19 at 09:50:02

I prefer to build a seat that is made of pure medical gel, which comes as a solid layer like a waffle or a combo.  Medical gel is more expensive and works a lot better.  
The manufactured seats I’ve looked at only had a small gel pad (solid or semi-liquid gel) within the foam of the seat.  They are generally pretty good because the seat shape is made well, not due to the little bit of gel.
Hospitals use solid gel mattresses for people who are bed bound and would otherwise develop severe bed sores.  
I have seen them sold separately or in whole sheets of various thicknesses and assorted sizes (LxW).
Search for medical gel manufacturers.

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #6 - 07/12/19 at 11:28:08

Excellent responses fro everyone, thank you!
I watched a YouTube video and it makes great sense, cut a recess out of the seat foam where you.plan to instal the gel material. I found a reasonably priced 1cm thick gel pad on eBay, but by the time it gets here from Vhina, riding season will be coming to a close here in western N.Y.! Lancer, great call on medical gel mats, I am still looking around for different options.
I have a good foam, good pan, and I just purchased a GREAT custom ls650 seat cover off eBay, got it yesterday. Nice item and very reasonable price this person that custom sees them from marine grade vinyl. They are NICE.
I want to put some gel in before installing the cover tho!! I will post pics soon
Thank you all again
Michael

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/14/19 at 14:12:43

I bought a gel pad, it was about an inch thick.  I carefully cut away the foam on the original seat and inserted the pad so that it fit flush just as the directions instructed.  I didn't like it and thought it was hard.  After a week or so I scrapped it and rebuilt the seat using a solid chunk of dense foam I bought online.  It was great stuff but I have unfortunately lost the name of the vendor I got it from.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/14/19 at 18:18:14

Just get a gel implant.
You can have a comfortable place no matter where you are..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/15/19 at 14:55:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/14/19 at 18:18:14:
Just get a gel implant.
You can have a comfortable place no matter where you are..

There are many types of gel implants for M & F critters.

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #10 - 07/15/19 at 17:15:55

Well I had that sweet seat cover from mac32756 the eBay seller I mentioned.
I got impatient, couldn't wait for some gel seat material to ship in, so i found my best seat foam, my best seat pan, and vala

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5xzIgrjzDUA/XS0UgDNfn0I/AAAAAAAAYKQ/e80DXcu5huUzIvyxZ
THw5y7uKTPwzTv8gCLcBGAs/s1600/20190713_003111.jpg" alt="" title="" border="0" />
Not to bad for a guy that turns wrenches for a living!!
Oh yes Versy quick release seat pin mod as well

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #11 - 07/15/19 at 19:10:23

I will like this in my next seat mod, cut some foam out neatly and insert THIS (after I cut it down to just the right insert size)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 07/16/19 at 14:06:11

Did you get a price quote on that piece of gel ?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/16/19 at 19:17:32

Nice job covering that seat Mad Mike.  And I like the looks of that blue waffle style gel pad.  The gel pad I bought was a solid slab and it did not do a very good job of conforming.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #14 - 07/17/19 at 18:49:10

LANCER wrote on 07/16/19 at 14:06:11:
Did you get a price quote on that piece of gel ?

Yes Lancer $14.95
Here is the link address

https://www.yourstoreonline.net/honeycomb-cooling-gel-support-seat-cushion-wi...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 15:33:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Gel seat???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.