Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hondabond4 or Hondabond HT? (Read 84 times)
seriouslysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hondabond4 or Hondabond HT?
07/09/19 at 13:37:54

Hi all.  New driver here.  I just picked up a 2001 with the famous oil leak.  I got everything apart and cleaned up and am ready to put everything back together.  Went into town and got myself some Hondabond, but just now realized they gave me the 4 not the HT.  It says rated to 300F, and I am assuming we would be well under that or risk lubrication failure.  Will this be ok, or should I go back for the HT?  Thanks all.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Hondabond4 or Hondabond HT?
Reply #1 - 07/09/19 at 13:49:00

I have a temperature sensor on the top of my engine, it is on the left rear cylinder stud - about 1/2 inch away from the head/head cover mating surface where you will be using the sealant.  For most of my riding the temperature stays between 240 - 280 degrees - but it sometimes gets up to 300 degrees when I am stuck in traffic on a hot summer day.  Based on those temperatures - I think you need the High Temperature stuff.

I use Suzukibond on my Suzuki......not sure what temperature it is good for - but if it is good enough for the factory it is good enough for me.

https://www.partsfish.com/product/20518/suzuki-bond-1207b-part-99104-31140

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/09/19 at 14:04:41

Can't find specs on the suzuki bond, but the same Three Bond version and model number (probably the same manufacturer for both) rates theirs at -60°C to +250°C (-76 F to 250 F).

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/09/19 at 15:02:55

stewmills wrote on 07/09/19 at 14:04:41:
Can't find specs on the suzuki bond, but the same Three Bond version and model number (probably the same manufacturer for both) rates theirs at -60°C to +250°C (-76 F to 250 F).

250°C = 482°F
I don't think we need to worry about the minus side of the scale.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 07/09/19 at 20:17:37

Ahaha. I didn’t do a very good conversion..... Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
seriouslysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/09/19 at 21:01:26

Hahaha Stewmills all good.  I know what ya ment.

So what ive found is hondabond, yamabond, suzukibond are all identical product.  It is actually Threebond just put in branded packaging and icreased price to reflect lol.  However I get cost +10% at honda so it works out cheaper that department store Threebond lol.  So I guess Ill just make the trip back to Honda tomorrow and get the HT instead of the 4.  The 4 is rated to 300F and the HT is good to 600F.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/10/19 at 03:50:05

seriouslysavage wrote on 07/09/19 at 21:01:26:
So what ive found is hondabond, yamabond, suzukibond are all identical product.  It is actually Threebond just put in branded packaging and icreased price to reflect lol.  

Out of curiosity......do you want to share where you got that information?
Is it from a reliable source and proven to be a "fact"....or is it an opinion from somebody that has squeezed both of them out of a tube previously?

Suzukibond is black........the others are gray.   If they are all from the same source and just repackaged - I guess they also have to change the color of the contents as well as changing the packaging.

I don't know about the durability of the gray Honda/Three Bond stuff - but the Suzukibond tube that I have is 6 years old and still comes out of the tube just fine and I am still using it.......my $20 goes a long way.  When I buy the $8 Permatex RTV I seem to only get to use it once or twice, and end up throwing the rest away as it has hardened in the tube.

« Last Edit: 07/10/19 at 06:52:28 by Dave »  

IP Logged
seriouslysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/10/19 at 11:03:52

Dave wrote on 07/10/19 at 03:50:05:
seriouslysavage wrote on 07/09/19 at 21:01:26:
So what ive found is hondabond, yamabond, suzukibond are all identical product.  It is actually Threebond just put in branded packaging and icreased price to reflect lol.  

Out of curiosity......do you want to share where you got that information?
Is it from a reliable source and proven to be a "fact"....or is it an opinion from somebody that has squeezed both of them out of a tube previously?

Suzukibond is black........the others are gray.   If they are all from the same source and just repackaged - I guess they also have to change the color of the contents as well as changing the packaging.

I don't know about the durability of the gray Honda/Three Bond stuff - but the Suzukibond tube that I have is 6 years old and still comes out of the tube just fine and I am still using it.......my $20 goes a long way.  When I buy the $8 Permatex RTV I seem to only get to use it once or twice, and end up throwing the rest away as it has hardened in the tube.

No real "fact source".  I called and spoke with the service department at my local Suzuki department and that is what one of their service techs told me.  One thing I did find out was the Hondabond HT is made without the use of acetic acid, typically in a silicone gasket material.  So it wont attack the aluminum like other silicone gasket material.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/10/19 at 15:09:38

[quote author=4D5B4C57514B4D52474D5F485F595B3E0 link=1562704674/0#7 date=1562781832]Dave wrote on 07/10/19 at 03:50:05:
No real "fact source".  I called and spoke with the service department at my local Suzuki department and that is what one of their service techs told me.

That is an opinion of the Service Tech.....not a fact.

I will look on my Suzukibond and see if I can find anything that might indicate who makes it....and you can compare it with your Hondabond tube.

IP Logged
seriouslysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/10/19 at 20:18:54

Well I took the hondabond back to exchange for the HT.  They didn't have any in stock so just returned the 4.  Went to suzuki and picked up the suzukibond.  Wow what a price difference lol.  My cost on the hondabond was $8.95.  Suzuki bond came to $51.69 with the tax!!!  Oh well I was ready for it and didn't want to wait for honda to order me the HT................and that is when I made a stupid noob mistake lol.  Put a nice small bead of gasket down.......lined up everything and got the cover on perfect..........oh f@*#.......I forgot those two bolts that have to be in first.............take it off........add just a dab of suzukibond on a couple spots where it looked a little obviously thin........oops somewhere that stupid tear drop o-ring fell out...........look, and look, and look everywhere and eventually found it on top of the front tire...........put it back in........ok let's try this again..............lined it all up about to put I'd down and............nuts those darn bolts again...........looking for that darn o-ring and I forgot the bolts a second time.  I just hope i didn't screw it up and have take it off and clean the gasket and do it all over again lol.  Let's just say I wont make that mistake again.  Check valve clearance tomorrow and hopefully take her for a rip tomorrow afternoon.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/11/19 at 03:54:20

seriouslysavage wrote on 07/10/19 at 20:18:54:
 Suzuki bond came to $51.69 with the tax!!!  

That is robbery.......your dealer seems to be putting the screws to you.

https://www.partsfish.com/product/20518/suzuki-bond-1207b-part-99104-31140

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/suzuki-1207b-silicone-gas...

Too late to tell you this now - but it is always best to do a "dry fit" the first time you try this.....so you can work out the process.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/11/19 at 08:58:20

That's what they call a
Learning Curve..

First time I was given the task of changing out a passenger side ,manual remote mirror on a seventies model Ford I jumped on it. I had it out in under ten minutes. And it took about four hours to fish that cable in under the dash and the knob in the dash.
I NEVER failed to tie a leader on that would pull the new one in after that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
seriouslysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/12/19 at 22:28:02

LOL.  I have no doubt ill have many more Learning Curves ahead.  This for the most part is all new to me.  I am fairly mechanicaly inclined and can do it no problem.  Just the first time with nobody looking over my shoulder to say "ummmm maybe try putting that in there first" lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:27:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hondabond4 or Hondabond HT?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.