Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HELP WANTED!!!!  Noob on Deck (Read 168 times)
S40_Bandito
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
HELP WANTED!!!!  Noob on Deck
07/09/19 at 08:41:27

Hello all I recently became the proud owner Cool  of  THE 2009 S40 Boulevard LS650 with a whopping 2185 miles on it and it has been garage kept with same petro for 4 or 5 years  Shocked

I happily except that I have....... Not only a great bike but a cool project bike to say the least.  The previous owner never found the keys   Smiley...... push came to shove so I simply broke the steering lock Angry and had a key made from the ignition switch for $65 Smiley.  

I have drained the old stale petro, currently running through about a 1/4 tank of fresh petro w/seafoam.......and was able to finally get it started.  Rough idle though and seriously boggs down to a complete shut off if and when I increase  throttle past 10mph.

Things I still want/need TO DO:

1. Oil change and filter need to buy oil - shopping around for best oil and or zddp additive near me - K & N oil filter in amazon cart.
QUESTION - It's topped off with oil (half fresh) but I see engine smoke when idle- should I be concerned and what other than a oil change should I look for - I don't have any leaks or exhaust smoke???

2. Spark plug - doesn't appear to be an issue but new won't hurt--  NGK Iridium in amazon cart

3. Purchased OEM Carb rebuild kit - I'm very mechanically inclined but a little nervous about the DIY (All the jetting measurements you guys put in your post(s) have me scratching my head- However, I did drop the float bowl on the carb and noticed some light greenish crud build up, the float seemed to move freely but after sitting for 4 or 5 years and based on how it runs or lack there of it feels like clogged jets are the culprit.  I tapped the side of the Carb and the rough idle smoothed out a little. Also, it will not run without primer pulled all the way out and petcock set to prime.

4. Petcock - Raptor petcock in amazon cart - hopefully this is the right one let me know???????

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSIHCUU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2BLH...

5. Primer choke plunger - I want to replace it while I am under the hood -  I found a mention of this being done in post but no details -
QUESTION-  Will this work as a replacement - right or wrong one????

https://www.amazon.com/DAPCO-Mikuni-Primer-Kit/dp/B0055DQERU/ref=sr_1_4?keywo...

6. White Spacer mod (Need step by step instruction)

7. Seat riser mod

8. Permanent Battery tender cable mod

WISH LIST

Harley Muffler Mod - found the post still reading and waiting on my money to catch up with my eyes

Bat Wing Fairing w/windshield

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/606-952/memphis-shades-batwing-fairing-9-smo...

I have read just about all the great write ups and feel confident I can get her purring like I want. Any advice you can muster, any notice of something that I am missing,  or anything you feel I should include will be greatly appreciated Smiley

If possible a quick link to the right articles will help as well and especially any step by step with the pictures .............oh while we are at it ......the paint by numbers for dummies while you hold my hand, pat my head, and tell me it's gonna be ok with warm milk and cookies wit a good ol bedtime story Grin Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: HELP WANTED!!!!  Noob on Deck
Reply #1 - 07/09/19 at 09:30:51

Sound like you desperately need to clean to the carb. The smoking exhaust could be from a rich condition. Oil will usually have a white tint and a certain smell whereas rich is usually a dark tint and smells like an old lawnmower.

Make sure on the oil you pickup an oil without a friction modifier. Regular car oil won't do the trick as you'll toast the clutch. Most here seem to be running Shell Rotella but a search will point you to many alternatives.

I wouldnt bother with a carb rebuild kit or choke plunger. I'd just clean everything that's there. If you see any damage then I'd replace but especially after only 2,000 miles nothing should be worn out. My bike is a 1998, sat for a couple years with 9k miles on it and everything was fine it just needed to be cleaned. Any little gunk in the jets or pathways of the carb will cause the bike to run incorrectly. I use a mix of small needle type carb cleaning tools, compressed air, and carb cleaner.

The green youre seeing is due to the ethanol that's added to most gas these days. It cant sit more than a couple months before it attracts moisture and fouls things up again.

Also, when you disassemble the carb, like most Jap bikes, the phillips screws youre seeing arent actually phillips, they are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) so they strip out very easily is you use a phillips. You can grind down the tip of a phillips to make it work better. Your best bet is to replace all of those with allen head Screws anyway as theyre very soft.

I used this for a petcock. Great price and it's worked well for me for the last 1,000 miles: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Fuel-Petcock-Kit-1986-2018-Suzuki-650-Savage-...

Also, where are you located?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/09/19 at 09:35:21

Welcome, and nice find!

My brief two cents worth:

Tell us where you are...at least a city/state/country as some things aren't as easy to come by if we know you are in one of those places.

1) Current formulations of Rotella T4or T6 are sufficient. Recent research indicates that no additional zddp is needed. Expensive oil or air filters aren't necessary on these bikes unless that's what you really want.

2) New plug is cheap insurance. Stick with stock. Hotter plugs aren't necessary.

3) Before you change anything, just clean it. Chase ONE thing at a time. Clean the slide very good (no carb cleaner on plastics!) with maybe WD40 and wip it down good with a lint free cloth and remove ALL fingerprints. A sticky slide will drive you crazy and cause sticky throttle response.  Also make sure to clean the TEV on the right side of the carb. There are little orifices in there too.

4) Some of your issues mentioned in #3 may be solved by the raptor. Otherwise you need to rebuild the stock carb innards as they are probably dry rotted by now resulting in only running on prime.

6) There are details on this in the tech section.... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1104205157
7) Worth it.

8) Worth it if you don't have an AGM battery. If you need a battery, I suggest an AGM from batterymart.  US made and quality product. Can find them on sale for ~$65-$70 brand new with free shipping.  I have a tender lead on mine just to be safe, but AGM does't need the TLC like a wet cell battery and is worth the upgrade.

9) Harley dyna muffler can be found on a goo day for ~$20 if you have a small local shop (not Harley dealer).  WELL worth the upgrade.

Hope this helps!

« Last Edit: 07/09/19 at 13:33:13 by stewmills »  

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/09/19 at 09:53:05

Is the smoke white? If you have dropped some Seafoam in the tank, that could be the cause of it.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 07/09/19 at 10:16:11

What LiftdT4r and Stew said...don't go changing jetting and doing any mods beyond the petcock until you get it running properly.  If you are lucky, the PO left the stock jetting in the bike.  It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.  Get it cleaned up and running before you start changing crap.

IP Logged
S40_Bandito
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #5 - 07/09/19 at 11:50:08

@LiftdT4R

I'm in Atlanta, Georgia

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/09/19 at 11:52:13

S40_Bandito wrote on 07/09/19 at 11:50:08:
@LiftdT4R

I'm in Atlanta, Georgia

If you were near SNJ I'd clean it for a sixxer of PBR. It's not that bad to take part honestly. Not as easy as a slide carb. Just make sure the diaphragms are in good shape and go back together correctly.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 07/09/19 at 13:31:28

I am just down the road in Auburn, AL. Would be happy to help you if you are ever down this way with the bike.

One other note (didn't see this at a glance) is not to let the bike sit and idle on the side stand. It isn't good for it because the cam lobes don't get good oil to the top of the engine when it is on the side stand.

Also, at what level did you measure the oil?  You should see oil half-way through the sight glass with the bike sitting perfectly vertical.  If the bike is on the side stand on level ground then as soon as you see oil at the bottom of the glass then it has sufficient oil.

Lastly, make sure you smell the oil to ensure it doesn't smell like fuel.  It isn't likely with the stock petcock, but if the carb ever flooded it can run fuel back into the crankcase and you don't want to run the engine with fuel in the oil.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
S40_Bandito
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #8 - 07/09/19 at 14:05:41

Thank you all for the rapid replies and warm welcomes!

To make sure I get the gist of what was said ...... in other words "keep my grubby hands to myself" Undecided  

@justLiftdT4R - thanks for being so thorough

1. Clean the carb 1st b4 replacing anything (K.I.S.S -keep it simple Stupid) Gotcha!
2. I just grabbed oil from a cycle shop so unsure about the zddp but pretty sure its average oil - So I do need to get better oil however, based on the recommended viscosity -do I stick with 10W/40 in the Rotella?
3. Will the air compressor be a 100% necessary for the carb cleaning - only tool I don't have???

LMAO  Grin Smiley Smiley Smiley

I went to a couple shops and got price quotes on carb cleaning..... The  1st shop said we can do it for only $250......  2nd shop proudly says awww yea we can do that for a mere $450 obviously not paying attention to the type bike I have and told him I have .......dummy you can get a freaking new carb for $300-350 I think Huh..... so for entertainment purposes I was like what if I bring it to you he says $225..... The 3rd shop which was the most outdated and the one I liked the most had a guy that owned it that you could tell he pumped motor through his veins and has been working on Hogs all his life.... Hell he looked like he was around to work on Gottlieb Daimler's bike!!!! He quoted me $100- which I am entertaining since I don't have a air compressor...... but the Manly man's man in me is like uhhhh yea you can buy a compressor for $100 and have it afterwards and still pull off the DIY.  Ahhhrrrggg so many decisions!

4. Your petcock link looks to be of higher quality than the one I have in my cart - nice find and will buy!

@stewmills - Thanks for the specifics

1. See question above on viscosity but I will be buying Rotella

2. I concur with you all that I should probably leave well enough alone.... but here is my premise............I bought the plug and planned to purchase the other items in my cart as a form of preventative maintenance.  This gives me a gauge as to the age of these parts and the mileage on them going forward.  That way I know historically when the last replacement took place and when the next one is to be expected.  But I do embrace the "if it's not broke don't fix it" mantra as well so I am again a little torn Undecided

3. I have read a couple TEV post and basically this thing must be the equivalent to the female G-Spot because everybody mentions it but there are no pictures and the location of it sounds about the same 2 inches inside to the left or right of the rough texture patch.   Grin  where and what the sam hell is the TEV lol

4. I just bought a new wet battery  Roll Eyes dang it, but will definitely keep my eye on the AGM.  So far the battery has been great just want to make charging easy when necessary so I want to mount the cabling somewhere.

5.  Being in the south we probably pay more for things that are seasonal than elsewhere - you can RIDES all year long here just about. So I am hoping I can get a Harley Dyna Muffler that cheap -  I will search around; what do I need to look for before I buy? Does it need to come off a specific Harley D? I am sure I saw a post or two on installation so maybe I can find answers there.  I saw a Dyna Fishtail on ebay for $19.16 needs a little TLC but not sure how it would look or the fitment.

@ohiomoto ( I'm a Buckeye displaced from Cleveland)
By changing jetting you mean just changing out the jets in general or the jet settings?

@Junker - No not white smoke per se like the blown head gasket or oil leaking into the exhaust.   Just a kind of burn off when the engine gets good an hot. Most noticeable at night cause it floats in front of headlight.

Thanks all for taking me to school! Ahhh the power of suggestion ..... Picking up a 6 of PBR right after I click send!   Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/09/19 at 14:44:06

Quote:
2. I just grabbed oil from a cycle shop so unsure about the zddp but pretty sure its average oil - So I do need to get better oil however, based on the recommended viscosity -do I stick with 10W/40 in the Rotella?

T6 is 5w40 and T4 is 15w40.  For the temps you're running, it won't matter, unless you get caught in a blizzard, winter wts will never be seen.

Check the back for the JASO MA spec as there are multiple varieties of Rotella.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/09/19 at 14:55:00

Quote:
3. Will the air compressor be a 100% necessary for the carb cleaning - only tool I don't have???

You don't need one to clean a carb.  A can of carb cleaner and a face shield is all you need.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/09/19 at 14:59:53

It would be nice if there were still pictures, but the TEV is the 3 screwed plate on the right side of the carb, just below the idle mixture screw.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267767908/0

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 07/09/19 at 15:08:09

Here in our area (the south) I have mostly used Rotella T4 15w 40 with no issues.  I used to use the T6 but I change my oil more frequent than most so I don't mind the T4.  If you don't change your oil often, the T6 is a longer lasting option.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 07/09/19 at 16:20:27

Cleaning this single carb takes 1-2 hours for someone familiar with them.  DO Not pay any more than $100 for the job.  If the bike does not run properly, including if it is backfiring, take it bake to be corrected...at no charge to you.  If he can’t make it run perfectly then don’t go back to that shop, they don’t know what they are doing.

IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/09/19 at 19:30:10

Batwing fairing on an S40?  Please tell me you're joking...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 02:04:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP WANTED!!!!  Noob on Deck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.