Send Topic Print
How to test the CDI (Read 137 times)
Shanghai Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How to test the CDI
07/05/19 at 13:02:28

I installed the carb kit I got from Lancer's Performance.  Every thing went well and the bike started and ran.  After looking at the install I decided to remove the airbox and during this task I unplugged all of the connectors under the seat and cleaned them and retaped some of the harness.  I mounted the
CDI on the back of the battery box, plugged everything in.  I put the tank on and tried to start it.  It cranks but won't start.  There is no spark at the plug.  I removed the tank and checked all my work and inspected everything again.  I see nothing that looks broken or burnt.  My first thought is the CDI so I looked at some of the threads on this forum and I want to test some components like the CDI and coil.  Can anyone instruct me on how to bench test the CDI?  I have a lot of experience with Detroit Iron but not so much on motorcycles.

IP Logged
pacoacevess
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: How to test the CDI
Reply #1 - 07/05/19 at 13:27:15

1997 Ignitor

1: Black/Yellow tracer   -> ignition coil;
2: Black,  no tracer  -> starter relay
3: no wire
4: no wire
5: Orange/White tracer -> ignition coil & kill/start switch = + 12V
6: Green,     no tracer   -> magneto pickup coil
7: Orange,   no tracer   -> magneto pickup coil
8: Black/White tracer    -> ground

Check pin number 1 with a lamp test, it shoud blink while you keep push starting buttom , also check 12 V on pin 5

IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/05/19 at 14:52:03

You can't really bench test a CDI, just test and rule out everything else until it's the only likely culprit.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 07/05/19 at 17:48:40

A weak battery will still crank the engine, but wont supply enough juice to the ignition module to fire the plug while the starter is running. Common problem.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/05/19 at 18:22:14

Old slow is correct ,if the voltage drops bellow about 10 volts you have no spark, charge the battery fully and check your spark again, also test that the voltage at the battery while cranking doesn't drop below 10 ,the sign of a weak battery.
    You removed the air filter ,if you haven't replaced it with anything ,that may increase problems in starting also.
    You should recheck you wiring ,I would think you may have had to extend some of the wires?
     You don't have a CDI ,it's a TDI and it can be destroyed by living the power (key switch on ) for an extended time without the bike running, it overheats
  I believe the TDI can only be tested by replacement ,even by a dealer.

« Last Edit: 07/08/19 at 11:46:01 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #5 - 07/05/19 at 23:39:43

Theres 2 connections under the seat that can plug in vise versa, i think the connectors are green in color

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #6 - 07/06/19 at 10:26:16

oldNslow wrote on 07/05/19 at 17:48:40:
A weak battery will still crank the engine, but wont supply enough juice to the ignition module to fire the plug while the starter is running. Common problem.

OldNslow, you are as absolutely correct! Just this spring I had the low voltage blues! Starter rolled engine over fine, but no start, which ain't  right, my '99 normally pops RIGHT off.
Pulled battery out charged it problem solved! FOR NOW! Bike sat for a few days... same issue. Load tested battery after I charged it, failed to keep a peak charge. So I went to Walmart, as it was Sunday, and my only option at the time.
The stock battery box in my opinion is a P.I.T.A! So while at Walmart I opted for a battery (standard acid type) I'm CHEAP! that was the same size just considerably shorter in height. Now the reason to this is so I can pull carb without removing battery box

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 07/06/19 at 12:25:25

Nice move ! now you have to tell us the battery you used? ( Yep, it's kiss and tell time  Smiley)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #8 - 07/06/19 at 16:35:19

Es9a2 atWalmart, 4 3/16" tall, but next time I'm going with an AGM ES-TZ10L 3 11/16" TALL.
I did totally hack... in a decent way the stock battery box no top of battery box used, BUT I CAN use the tool box housing

« Last Edit: 07/07/19 at 06:44:32 by madmikesmech »  

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #9 - 07/06/19 at 18:15:05

I'm unable to post pics from Blogger like I always used too!! Gotta load them up to some other server... any recomendations

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/07/19 at 06:07:07

Just add them as an attachment to your post and they will uploaded and hosted by this site.

IMG_20170322_215332147_001.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/07/19 at 06:08:45

Once you have uploaded a file as an attachment, you can use it as an image in other posts if you like. (Probably should resize the image first!)

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #12 - 07/07/19 at 06:35:28

ohiomoto wrote on 07/07/19 at 06:08:45:
Once you have uploaded a file as an attachment, you can use it as an image in other posts if you like. (Probably should resize the image first!)

http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/IMG_20170322_215332147_001.jpg

Okiomoto what is a recomended size to resize them to?
Plus I use my android phone for EVERYTHING!
This forum wont accept photos DIRECTLY from my phones gallery, I first must use a "just to establish a jpg? As you all see, I'm not real computer or tech SAVY!!!!
Thanks for all the help

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/08/19 at 06:28:54

I think under 2MB.  I took this shot, cropped it (to get under the size limit) and then posted on my Android phone.

IMG_20190708_091455575_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
  IP Logged
Shanghai Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/08/19 at 09:33:39

Thanks for all the info guys.  I have spark now.  I'm almost sure it was nothing more than a low battery.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:26:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to test the CDI

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.