Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2005 LS 650 Fixer Upper - Newbie rider/wrencher - (Read 178 times)
Koldslaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albany, NY
2005 LS 650 Fixer Upper - Newbie rider/wrencher -
07/03/19 at 06:54:17

Good Morning,

I have been reading the forums and looking at common causes for issues. First, i want to say thank you to the founders and users of this forum. I really appreciate all of the hard work and insight that you bring to this place.I am a brand new rider, i just finished the BRC and i am a Marine Combat Vet. So having this motorcycle has been amazing therapy for me. Before i purchased the bike, i looked on this forum for hours about stuff that would potentially be an issue.

https://imgur.com/rf1ZT74

I bought a 2005 Suzuki LS 650 about two weeks ago. I got it relatively cheap and it has about 13k miles on it. The previous owner laid it down once and there is a scuff on the gas tank and he broke the left blinker off. He put a crappy one on it but i replaced it with an OEM Blinker. So going into this, i knew there would be some sweat equity.  That being said, im willing to work hard but im not mechanically inclined. I change the oil and spark plugs in my car and thats about it.

Replaced this POS blinker with OEM
https://imgur.com/suyJ5xA

I have a few questions for the users here.

1. I installed the OEM light but there is slack and the light isnt as tight as the one that did'nt get broken off. I Zipp tied the slack to the frame under the seat as much as i could. I put roach clips inside the metal frame that leads to the seat. Any suggestions on how to make this tighter? Theres a little jiggle to it.

2. I have read about the raptor petcock and i think that i am experiencing some issues related to the old OEM one. I have read through the forums but if you don't mind giving me some advice on this one if be very appreciative. I was out riding yesterday and was able to go about 20 miles on a full tank with no problem.

Sometimes when im shifting into 1st gear from 2nd and about to come to a stop, i hear backfiring or popping from the exhaust. Is this due to a dirty carburetor? Failing petcock?

3. During my same ride yesterday as mentioned in #2, About a mile from home, im going 25mph on a street and i suddenly lost power to the motorcycle. The lights were still on but i had no engine, when i came to a stop at the light, i manager to get it to fire up again. However there were clicks and the neutral light was flickering off slowly and on. I managed to get to a side street and then when i came to a stop, the bike completely died again.

I sat there trying to turn her over again. When i pushed the kill switch back to the on position, held in the clutch and tried to start, i got a **whirr, whirr, click, click, click,*** The lights are on on the bike, the neutral indicator would light up but then fade down.

My assumptions are #1 The battery is bad and needing replacement, #2 The starter is bad, #3 The Fuel system is messed up?

I had to push that bad boy a mile home in full gear in the summer. The walk of shame was not fun. I would stop every 20 mins and turn the key in the bike back to on and sit down and try to turn it over.  One time, i almost got a fire but it quickly died. The sound of it trying to start was like a low *whurrrrr followed by clicks*

So, any insight into this would be helpful. I am also looking for a mentor with the upcoming maintenance i have to perform.I live in Upstate NY, so if any kind souls are near me and want to take me under their wing that would be awesome.

The previous owner didn't keep up with maintenance and i see that i have some work ahead of me. I am a bit apprehensive to remove the Carb myself as i am a bit afraid of messing it up. I have a mechanic appointment at my local suzuki dealer to do a safety inspection and to fix all the stuff im not skilled enough to do.

Thanks so much for reading!

2005 LS650 - 12,999 Miles - new rider -
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2005 LS 650 Fixer Upper - Newbie rider/wrenche
Reply #1 - 07/03/19 at 07:19:16

Koldslaw wrote on 07/03/19 at 06:54:17:
1. I installed the OEM light but there is slack and the light isnt as tight as the one that did'nt get broken off. I Zipp tied the slack to the frame under the seat as much as i could. I put roach clips inside the metal frame that leads to the seat. Any suggestions on how to make this tighter? Theres a little jiggle to it.
No pic, can't tell you what you've done right/wrong.  Check out the savage companion
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199986392

Quote:
2. I have read about the raptor petcock and i think that i am experiencing some issues related to the old OEM one. I have read through the forums but if you don't mind giving me some advice on this one if be very appreciative. I was out riding yesterday and was able to go about 20 miles on a full tank with no problem.

Most problems you'll have with the stock petcock are either flooding or leaning out.

Quote:
Sometimes when im shifting into 1st gear from 2nd and about to come to a stop, i hear backfiring or popping from the exhaust. Is this due to a dirty carburetor? Failing petcock?

Could be a dirty carb, might be a loose header.  shutoff pop is caused by a lean idle adjustment, shift pops are from air leaks into the exhaust system.

Quote:
3. During my same ride yesterday as mentioned in #2, About a mile from home, im going 25mph on a street and i suddenly lost power to the motorcycle. The lights were still on but i had no engine, when i came to a stop at the light, i manager to get it to fire up again. However there were clicks and the neutral light was flickering off slowly and on. I managed to get to a side street and then when i came to a stop, the bike completely died again.

I sat there trying to turn her over again. When i pushed the kill switch back to the on position, held in the clutch and tried to start, i got a **whirr, whirr, click, click, click,*** The lights are on on the bike, the neutral indicator would light up but then fade down.

My assumptions are #1 The battery is bad and needing replacement, #2 The starter is bad, #3 The Fuel system is messed up?

I had to push that bad boy a mile home in full gear in the summer. The walk of shame was not fun. I would stop every 20 mins and turn the key in the bike back to on and sit down and try to turn it over.  One time, i almost got a fire but it quickly died. The sound of it trying to start was like a low *whurrrrr followed by clicks*

Any time it clicks it's the battery or battery related, such as dirty contacts on the cables/ground.
Check the water level, fill it up properly, charge if it was low.
Clean the cable end if they're dirty, check the ground on the engine block, it's next to the oil fill window.

WWW   IP Logged
Koldslaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albany, NY
Reply #2 - 07/03/19 at 07:34:42

Thank you for your reply. I will check those when i get home from work!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/03/19 at 07:37:16

Varslagen1 has you covered.  I'll add...dodon't worry or try to fix the popping and backfiring until everything else is sorted.

First, you need to test/replace the battery and possibly the voltage regulator if that's the reason the battery isn't charging.

Also replace the petcock or simply run it on "PRI" for now.

IP Logged
Koldslaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albany, NY
Reply #4 - 07/03/19 at 07:57:45

Thank you for your input. Today when i get home from work ill check the battery.

sorry if these questions are stupid...

1.Theres a water level in the battery?

2. If i need a new battery, is there one that lasts a long time or one you recommend? Thanks! I have a battery tender the previous dude gave me. Just charging that won't do the trick i assume?

Thanks for your patience.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/03/19 at 08:45:11

Koldslaw wrote on 07/03/19 at 07:57:45:
1.Theres a water level in the battery?

2. If i need a new battery, is there one that lasts a long time or one you recommend? Thanks! I have a battery tender the previous dude gave me. Just charging that won't do the trick i assume?

Yes if it's stock battery.  If it has caps, you need to check the level.  There's a window in the bat box... if the battery is translucent enough you can check the level w/out removing the bat.  Otherwise, disconnect the negative lead, slip the bat out an inch then disconnect the pos lead.

If it doesn't have caps, then it's an AGM or maintenance free bat.  which is the preferred type.

WWW   IP Logged
Koldslaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albany, NY
Reply #6 - 07/03/19 at 10:17:26

Thanks! I need to take a look at it this afternoon. I appreciate the reply.

IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/03/19 at 10:30:55

Quote:
.. shift pops are from air leaks into the exhaust system.

Could a leaky join between the header pipe and a slip on muffler cause this?

IP Logged
Koldslaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albany, NY
Reply #8 - 07/03/19 at 13:59:20

I took video of what my bike is doing. It turns then constant clicking. I just pulled the battery out and am gonna take it to a auto store to get it tested. Its not the OEM or a water type battery and i have no idea how old it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-F-prsyjE

If it's not the battery...

I watched the videos today on petcock change and it looks simple enough to do. I plan to do that next!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 07/03/19 at 19:37:30

Video of it not starting ,looks like the battery needs charging/changing , not knowing it's age ,I'd replace it,  the video was labeled SV650 not starting , you have a LS650 /S40 (don't order parts for the wrong bike)

« Last Edit: 07/04/19 at 06:12:41 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Koldslaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albany, NY
Reply #10 - 07/03/19 at 20:38:31

I had the old battery tested. It had no charge and was dead. Couldn't charge it back up and there was a dead cell. So it's battery time! So..... I had to go to three different stores. Advanced Auto parts had no stock, Pep boys had nothing, Napa was closed and I got a Duralast Gold but the terminals are the wrong type. I gotta bring it back to AutoZone and go to batteries plus or something. I'm assuming that since it's the 4th tommorow they are closed. :/

Ive been using the LS650 to get parts. I always get confused with the S40 Blvd stuff. Thanks for catching that I just fixed it.

Thanks for the reply.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 07/03/19 at 21:08:11

The LS650 and S40 are almost the sample --the video said SV650 ( a V-twin ) not even close, that isn't always made clear and can cause a lot of return trips to the parts store.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #12 - 07/04/19 at 03:49:47

Welcome to the addiction!
Just order a battery from ebay, no driving around and it should be cheaper too.
I have 4 registered bikes and bought all the batteries from ebay
Where upstate are you? I visit Hancock but I'm from Longisland Ny

IP Logged
Koldslaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albany, NY
Reply #13 - 07/04/19 at 11:27:11

Yoshi wrote on 07/04/19 at 03:49:47:
Welcome to the addiction!
Just order a battery from ebay, no driving around and it should be cheaper too.
I have 4 registered bikes and bought all the batteries from ebay
Where upstate are you? I visit Hancock but I'm from Longisland Ny

I am in Albany.

So, update. I went to batteries plus and got a brand new battery for the bike. I installed the battery, put everything back. I hopped on and tried to start it and notta.

Well, Kind of notta....

Choke in, petcock on FUEL and i start it up and it keeps trying to start. I give it some throttle and then it starts up for a min or two and then dies.

Choke out slightly, petcock on prime and it doesnt turn over but it feels like it wants to turn over.

Choke out all the way, petcock on FUEL it doesnt start or want to turn over.

Choke in, petcock on FUEL and after trying to start it up for a min and giving it throttle, it starts and i use the throttle to give it some gas. Thinking that maybe it will keep running and it eventually dies.

Here is a video to what is happening.

I have half a tank of gas that is premium and fresh.
I was riding just fine two days ago before this happened.

Is it a spark plug issue?

Any and all input or troubleshooting is appreciated. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy_dqtJrPdw

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/05/19 at 07:13:20

Sounds like it is starving for fuel.  Your petcock is probably bad so keep the petcock on PRIME, start with full choke and then go to half choke once it starts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:28:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2005 LS 650 Fixer Upper - Newbie rider/wrencher -

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.