Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
2nd Gear transmission issue (Read 292 times)
pacoacevess
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2nd Gear transmission issue
Reply #15 - 07/03/19 at 14:08:11

another question, it is posible to remove just left side of the crackcase engine to reach the transmission parts?, oviouslly I would need to quit the engine from the frame

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/03/19 at 17:03:28

Ok so I had three bikes ran today regarding this issue.

First mine are all 1995s and as such have 5 speeds where the 86 has 4.  This means a 95 can shift safer at lower speed than an 86.

These bikes should shift at a higher speed than 10 mph.  All three of my bikes shift very hard into 2nd at 10 - 15 mph, I would recommend seeing what happens if you double your current speed to shift from 1st to 2nd.

To be very clear, these shift tests done on my bike were not the suggestion, inference, guidance, recommendation or influenced result of any member on this board.  Zero members on this board were involved in any capacity to include the idea, implementation or application.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #17 - 07/03/19 at 17:04:19

Are you sure that the shifting mechanism is working properly?

If it works sometimes I don't think the transmission is broken.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/04/19 at 04:19:17

pacoacevess wrote on 07/02/19 at 13:19:28:
...I release the clutch alse there is a very bad mesh noise inside the engine...(
---------------

So you are not getting into 2nd gear or its falling out of second as you release the clutch?

When you say "mesh" do you mean like a gear grinding noise?

IP Logged
pacoacevess
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/04/19 at 08:07:39

ohiomoto wrote on 07/04/19 at 04:19:17:
pacoacevess wrote on 07/02/19 at 13:19:28:
...I release the clutch alse there is a very bad mesh noise inside the engine...(
---------------

So you are not getting into 2nd gear or its falling out of second as you release the clutch?

It is getting into 2nd gear and fails when I release the clutch I try higer speeds and is still fail, it is not a speed probleming

exactly the noise is a gear grinding noise

IP Logged
pacoacevess
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/04/19 at 08:09:01

[quote author=6F68696F6D6F746F000 link=1562016144/15#18 date=1562239157]pacoacevess wrote on 07/02/19 at 13:19:28:
---------------

It is getting into 2nd gear and fails when I release the clutch I try higer speeds and is still fail, it is not a speed probleming

exactly the noise is a gear grinding noise

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/05/19 at 05:20:55

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a speed issue.  I mean wtf is a speed issue anyways???  I can put my bike into second from a dead stop.  

First, make sure the shift linkage is in good order.  Sometimes the rod that connects the shift lever gets bent and causes issues.  It's easy to check and easy to fix.  Not sure why it would only cause issues in second, but maybe you'll get lucky and it will be an easy fix.

Beyond that, I think you may be correct in thinking that this thing may need to come apart.  

« Last Edit: 07/05/19 at 19:24:31 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/05/19 at 05:21:57

norm92de wrote on 07/03/19 at 17:04:19:

------------

Right. First place to look anyway.

IP Logged
pacoacevess
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/05/19 at 12:27:03

Hi I will check the shifter mechanism and I let you know, thanks

ohiomoto wrote on 07/05/19 at 05:21:57:
norm92de wrote on 07/03/19 at 17:04:19:

------------

Right. First place to look anyway.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #24 - 07/05/19 at 12:37:26

There is one thing that I hope you don't have. Badly damaged dogs inside the transmission. The way some owners treat their bikes can cause damage to the engagement dogs.

The shifting mechanism is accessible from the left side of the bike. Good luck!

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 07/07/19 at 07:44:09

I would  also be sure the clutch is adjusted , and you may need to change the length of the clutch throughout rod ( there are three different lengths you can order from the factory) as the clutch wears ,the clutch pack becomes narrower and the rod sticks out farther and may not at some point allow complete engagement , the rod shouldn't stick out more than about 12to 12.5 mm .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 07/07/19 at 16:55:11

First
Make SURE the shift rod
Is not bent.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #27 - 07/08/19 at 06:12:58

If someone was trying to hammer through the gears they could have bent the shift fork or chipped/rounded off the gear (or the gear dogs as norm92de said).

Either of those will make it not want to slip into gear all the time.  Or rattle and bounce out.

Usually this happens on 3rd or 4th gear though.  But I would exhaust other options first, including just living with it.

Splitting the cases and changing the gear and shift fork out is a bit of work, if its messed up.  And probably around $500 bucks in gaskets and parts while you are in there.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #28 - 07/08/19 at 12:26:51

The transmission gears need to be turning to synchronize , 10 mph won't cut it , use some throttle, the motor won't blow up!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 07/08/19 at 15:27:13

Regarding the gear shift linkage, make sure the shift lever moves up and down without hitting anything.  The shift from first to second gear may take a bit more lever movement since you must pass through neutral.  If the lever is bent or the linkage is out of adjustment, the travel might be limited.  The stop in the external gearshift mechanism should limit travel, not stuff like footpegs or the frame.  

After you make sure the gear shift linkage is in good working order and properly adjusted, I suggest you go through the "external gearshift mechanism" as outlined on pages 166 through 172 of the all inclusive Clymer manual.  Pay particular attention to the cam stopper (2) and it's associated spring (4).  If the spring is weak or broken, or the roller is heavily worn, the shift drum can rotate past the intended position and cause the gears to end up in between the desired position (like in between 2nd & 3rd rather than in 2nd).   Generally, a good indicator of stopper problems is difficulty finding neutral.  You having any trouble finding neutral?  Is your 2nd gear "grinding" issue only related to upshifts (i.e 1st to 2nd) or will it also occur on downshifts (i.e 3rd to 2nd)?  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:19:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2nd Gear transmission issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.