Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Rear Pulley Wobble Fix (Read 1995 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Rear Pulley Wobble Fix
Reply #45 - 07/17/19 at 10:32:03

I have a funny feeling that Armen's spacer is going to look like swiss cheese when he get done with it.   Grin

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #46 - 07/17/19 at 11:08:43

ohiomoto wrote on 07/17/19 at 10:05:23:
I think you have an 8-hour window to get'er done!  Grin

And I agree with Dave.  That said, I would be more likely to pay $25 for a completed part than having to take mine off, ship it somewhere, and wait for its return.

This is one of the parts we run on the CNC, about half the size of the Savage spacer. The boss says it costs about 18 cents to make this part and it makes this part in 90 seconds. So making pulley spacers would be nearly as cheap and almost as quick other than the time to write the program. I have made a lot of things like that for mine already, even the motor mount spacer at the crankcase in the front. The mount plates at the head are also aluminum. The benefits of working at a shop that builds parts for race cars.  Wink

Aluminum-Bushing.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #47 - 07/17/19 at 11:25:50

I would imagine 18 cents is on a run of 1000s of that part.

To Daves point, will there be enough of a market?  What's the market willing to pay?  Half the guys on here would just machine their own.  

I'm guessing that the majority of LS650 owners either don't know about this site or don't know or care about pully wobble or are too cheap to pay enough to make it worth your while.

Or they might even be like me.  I'm more likely to simply replace my single bearing more often because it's simple and I want to keep the mechanical aspects of my bike as "stock" as possible.

I love what Dave and Mike have done to address the problem.  I am interested in this mod but I just swapped out my rear pully with a used one I had lying around andy my wobble is gone for the time being.  I might just buy a spare OEM bearing and toss it on next time I change the rear tire if needed.   Undecided Undecided

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #48 - 07/17/19 at 11:48:19

True. But like you said, I would be much more likely to buy a bearing and spacer as a kit than to take mine apart, send it off to be machined, and have the downtime waiting for the part then.

And I am not so concerned with keeping mine stock like you are. Mine is modified cosmetically quite a bit, but is done in such a way that it appears to have been made that way originally. Mechanically, more than a few of my engine parts have found their way into the shop late at night for some "after hours" modifications. Since my engine is considerably healthier than stock the double row bearing would be a good thing in my case.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #49 - 07/17/19 at 12:22:24

Mines is done and waiting for me to pick up. When they called they explained the bill to me. Their standard rate is $100/hr and with setup my spacer was a 15 minute job. So $25 for that.
Most of the time is setup.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #50 - 07/17/19 at 12:53:13

Oh boy, look what was in the mailbox  Cool

Savage_pulley_bearing.jpg

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #51 - 07/17/19 at 16:10:46

Here's my spacer.
And the brand new Superbrace I scored for $120  Cool

20190717_1904351.jpg

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #52 - 07/18/19 at 07:38:32

Nice! I have a similar brace for my forks.
Seems like I have a few spacers on the way. Guess I'm modifying spacers....

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #53 - 07/18/19 at 07:53:56

Ryca had the brace on sale. I couldn't pass up such a deal.

I guess we're all spacey over this  Wink

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #54 - 07/21/19 at 16:52:08

5 spacers cut down and ready to go. See the marketplace section.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #55 - 07/25/19 at 21:50:19

Did this mod today $12 chinese bearing Big difference cannot detect any wobble at all now by hand There must be some but negligible
Hope to road test the results when this weather clears but it must make a difference to the belt noise It used to squeak under acceleration before
Many thanks to Drag Bike Mike for coming up with this.

Edit:07/28/19
Now had a chance to road test this modification for 100ks or so
Not only has the squeak gone but a lot of other noises that I did not know were belt related Very quiet and smooth compared with before
Recommend this simple mod

« Last Edit: 07/27/19 at 15:21:24 by Hiko »  
Hiko   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #56 - 10/08/19 at 06:31:16

I got a spacer from Armen and did this mod. It was easy and seems to work great.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #57 - 10/08/19 at 06:37:05

Thanks Ohio!

IP Logged
Jdvt600

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 06/06/20 at 10:24:19

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/01/19 at 00:02:57:
I found a suitable bearing on eBay for $16 (delivered).  The vendor is Quality Bearings Belts & Chains, Lexington, KY 40509 (www.qualitybearingsbeltsandchain.com).  The bearing is a 5305-2RS, item number 111730106826.  This is an extremely inexpensive, Chinese bearing.  A similar SKF bearing costs about $112.  Generally, I wouldn’t bite on a deal like this.  I would be skeptical of the quality (you get what you pay for).  But I figured it would be worth $16 to try the mod out.  If it works good, I might consider springing for the gold standard bearing.  What the heck, I’ll keep an eye on it.  I may end up just leaving the Chinese bearing in place as long as it doesn’t misbehave.

The only machining that must be accomplished is to turn down a shoulder on the left side wheel spacer.  Very easy to do.  I did the entire job in three hours this afternoon.

I started by measuring how much side play/wobble I had on the pulley rim.  Set up a dial indicator and use your hands to wobble the pulley right and left.  Mine had .070” wobble.  Boy, that’s a lot considering the bike only has 3500 miles on it

Hey all,

How is the bearing holding up? I assume no complaints indicate they are holding up just fine. I've just ordered the bearing (5305-2RS, item number 111730106826) from Ebay today and Armen is shipping a spacer out. Looking to install them week after next.

I'm a novice shade tree mechanic with a Clymers manual. Installation seems straight forward from DBMs original post. Disassemble then heat up the hub in a bbq to 250 and plop the wider bearing in, reassemble. I'll reread everything before I attempt but are there any gotchas I should note?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #59 - 06/06/20 at 10:38:08

If I have a bearing I need I take it to the local Bearing Supply house,, where they measure and find one.. For the lawnmower belt spindle it takes 2,, and I can go to the lawnmower place and get them for just over twice what I pay at the supply house,, where, BTW, they Also sell belts for a LOT less munnee than the lawnmower place,, that most likely buys their stock from the place I now go.. I dont buy nuts and bolts from the hardware store either, usually,, I go to the Fastener supply house,, and get them in the number I want and prices that are LOW,,
And, when its time for paint, its not Kelly Moore,, its the store that supplies the body shops in town..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 03:48:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Pulley Wobble Fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.