Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Rear Pulley Wobble Fix (Read 2022 times)
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Re: Rear Pulley Wobble Fix
Reply #30 - 07/13/19 at 17:27:56

[ [ quote]  Weird thing is my wobbling changes each day. Some days it's bad and others it's hardly there. Not sure what to make of this. [/quote]

I am finding the same thing ....Very weird
I have ordered a 5305 2rs bearing and when it arrives will open up the rear pulley hub and investigate
My plan at the moment is fit the new bearing and make up the clearance
between pulley carrier and wheel hub  with anti sieze coated brass   shim stock.  Any comments?

Hiko   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 07/13/19 at 18:57:17

Hiko wrote: "My plan at the moment is fit the new bearing and make up the clearance between pulley carrier and wheel hub with anti sieze coated brass shim stock.  Any comments?"

Hiko, you don't need to take up any clearance between the pulley carrier and wheel hub.  Simply install the 5305-2RS bearing and modify the left-side outer spacer as shown.  When its all back together and the axle nut tight, the wobble will be LG (long gone).  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #32 - 07/13/19 at 19:35:20

So, is the single row bearing wobbling in the carrier when the aluminum gets warm and expands?

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #33 - 07/13/19 at 20:42:05

Armen

The measurements I took showing excessive wobble were taken when all was cold I think the stock single row  bearing is just poor at holding the pulley in line

Drag Bike Mike

I think you are right The new bearing is a big improvement on its own I have a tendency to overcomplicate things

Hiko   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #34 - 07/15/19 at 08:16:40

I just dropped my spacer off for modification. The president of the company, Rich, is an old motorcycle enthusiast so he's a friend to riders needing work for their bikes and says he doesn't mind at all if others send their spacers to him for this modification.
http://hartzellmachineworks.com/

He also said that a quantity discount would be applied if we wanted to do a group buy type deal.

For one individual spacer he charges $25. You have to provide the spacer.

If the group discount is appealing let me know and I'll discuss it further with him and get a quote.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #35 - 07/15/19 at 09:52:12

Do you know anyone who has a CNC lathe? That would keep the cost down a lot. Other than the setup time, it would only take about 3 minutes each to make them from raw stock. Then you could package the new spacers with the double row bearing and sell them as an upgrade kit. No down time waiting to have the stock spacer machined that way.

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #36 - 07/15/19 at 11:20:16

Quote:
Do you know anyone who has a CNC lathe? That would keep the cost down a lot. Other than the setup time, it would only take about 3 minutes each to make them from raw stock. Then you could package the new spacers with the double row bearing and sell them as an upgrade kit. No down time waiting to have the stock spacer machined that way.

I know a local company here in Sweden that can probably do this if I get the exact measurements. I guess the best would be to bulk ship them to the US and have someone ship single units nationally. I can ask them for a rough price estimate.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #37 - 07/16/19 at 11:31:38

7th post on the first page of this thread has a drawing with measurements.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #38 - 07/17/19 at 05:41:28

A CNC lathe to turn a shoulder on a spacer is like a nuclear powered pencil sharpener. Kinda unnecessary overkill.
I have a basic lathe and could easily do the deed.
If someone needs one turned down, I'd gladly do it for $25 and shipping.
I'll dig around and see if I have a stock one.
Now I have to figure out where the original spacer is....

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #39 - 07/17/19 at 06:04:26

Rather than shipping a stock spacer back and forth, why not just turn a bunch of new spacers and sell them?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #40 - 07/17/19 at 06:08:54

It's a trade off, the extra time to cut, face, bore, etc a piece of round stock vs the cost of postage. And the initial cost of the material.
I made mine out of aluminum. Always looking to save a few grams, and it machines faster.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #41 - 07/17/19 at 09:02:27

Armen wrote on 07/17/19 at 06:08:54:
It's a trade off, the extra time to cut, face, bore, etc a piece of round stock vs the cost of postage. And the initial cost of the material.
I made mine out of aluminum. Always looking to save a few grams, and it machines faster.

Which is why I suggested CNC. Program the machine, load the feeder, hit start, and let it run for a few hours. As simple as that spacer is, it should only take about 3 minutes per part to make them from steel. Aluminum would be even quicker. If we weren't keeping the CNC lathe at work tied up 16 hours a day I would squeeze in a run of them myself.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 07/17/19 at 09:49:20

Fast 650 wrote on 07/17/19 at 09:02:27:
Which is why I suggested CNC. Program the machine, load the feeder, hit start, and let it run for a few hours. As simple as that spacer is, it should only take about 3 minutes per part to make them from steel. Aluminum would be even quicker. If we weren't keeping the CNC lathe at work tied up 16 hours a day I would squeeze in a run of them myself.

And there is the problem......the Savage fold is very small, and it is likely that whoever makes these will have a hard time selling 15 or 20 of them - we are a cheap bunch and not everyone is going to worry about their pulley wobbling.  It just isn't worthwhile for somebody to dedicate their expensive CNC to make these parts in 3 minutes......then take the time to market, ship and sell them to make couple of bucks in the process.

If you got a lathe and can make your own - Cool!

If you have a friend that can machine one for you - Also Cool!

If you pay Armen to do it for you - Really Cool!

If you want to go into the business of making them - Also Cool - it will be hard for you to break even on the process........unless you get the materials and machine time really cheap.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #43 - 07/17/19 at 10:05:23

Fast 650 wrote on 07/17/19 at 09:02:27:
...If we weren't keeping the CNC lathe at work tied up 16 hours a day I would squeeze in a run of them myself.
------------------------------

I think you have an 8-hour window to get'er done!  Grin

And I agree with Dave.  That said, I would be more likely to pay $25 for a completed part than having to take mine off, ship it somewhere, and wait for its return.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #44 - 07/17/19 at 10:16:05

Just ordered a used spacer from Ebay.
Just the thing for my rumored abundant spare time  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/22/24 at 23:06:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Pulley Wobble Fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.