Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Rear Pulley Wobble Fix (Read 2022 times)
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Re: Rear Pulley Wobble Fix
Reply #15 - 07/05/19 at 19:10:46

I checked my 2012 today 7500 kms pulley wobble .072 inch or 1.8 mm as I measured it
I dont own a dial test indicator but I found by clamping the pulley rim against the swing arm with a pad under to protect the paint a good measurement can be obtained between the rim and the underside of the belt guard bracket with a Vernier caliper
Then by tapping a wooden wedge in the  top side of the bracket the rim can be pushed the other way to make another measurement.
This amount of wobble seems to be normal for these bikes and the modifications above to correct it seems well worthwhile to me.
Squeaking Noise and  belt life are two good reasons

Hiko   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #16 - 07/05/19 at 22:06:25

Someone with a lathe/mill could start a small business doing S40 improvement parts; hint, hint...!
cheers! Cool

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #17 - 07/08/19 at 07:02:33

Over the weekend I did a bunch of 2 up riding with my teenage son on the back and what do you know. I certainly have pulley wobble now!
That and I did a long peel out to amuse the kid too.

Must have been the last straw...

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/08/19 at 08:49:04

I got out my dial indicator to measure the wobble on my bike....I modified my pulley with a brass bushing that is mounted on the end of the pulley hub and inserts into the wheel hub.

I was surprised to discover there is "zero" free wobble.....you can make the dial indicator move if you pull hard enough to make things move under stress - but no 'free play".  The pulley rotates easily in the direction of rotation a few degrees until the rubber cushions engage - but there is no wobble to be found.

I guess this is reasonable as the bushing is a slip fit into the wheel hub without any appreciable wiggle....and the wheel hub bearing is a high speed sealed bearing that is relatively new.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 07/08/19 at 15:01:11

Looks like your bushing fix is top notch Dave.  How many miles do you have on it now?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 07/08/19 at 15:55:17

My first post on it was in 2016......so I suspect there are 3 riding seasons on it.  That is likely 3,000 to 5,000 miles overall.  (Having more than 1 bike makes it hard to rack up miles on the Cafe....which is my bike for riding when it is sunny and warm and I don't need luggage or a passenger).

I believe either method is superior to the single row bearing that Suzuki blessed us with.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #21 - 07/09/19 at 20:28:18

I just measured up two pulley carriers and one hub. One carried to hub combo had over .020" clearance, and one had less than .005".
I'm guessing the tighter one would be fine, and the looser one would benefit from  some love.
As luck would have it, the looser fit carrier is the one I've done a bunch of machining to (adding Drillium, changing studs to bolts, other pointless stuff).
So, I guess I'll go with the double row ball conversion DBM came up with.
Thanks to all for the smart thinking.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 07/10/19 at 03:54:38

Armen wrote on 07/09/19 at 20:28:18:
I just measured up two pulley carriers and one hub. One carried to hub combo had over .020" clearance, and one had less than .005".

-Armen

Armen:  I notice the same thing.....an early pulley hub from a 1995 model had 0.005" of clearance - while later models had a lot of clearance.  In the following link I posted photos of the grease that was in the assembly, and you can see the marks left when I pulled them apart.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1480506578

It appears that Suzuki intended the pulley hub and wheel hub to interlock to prevent the wobble - but made the clearance too big on later models and the eccentric load causes wear in the single row ball bearing.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #23 - 07/10/19 at 05:32:56

Thanks to Dave and DBM for all the research and smart ideas.
A few thoughts:
I wonder if we are looking at this as the tail wagging the dog?
Part of the reason the pulley carrier is wobbling may be the loose fit of the gazzinta spacer on the axle. It seems to be a decent fit into the carrier bearing, but if it is a loose fit on the axle, the carrier can rock back and forth.
I had made a new gazzinta spacer out of some kind of hard aluminum (forgot what kind) to save a few ounces.
I'm tempted to make another with only a few thou of clearance between it's ID and the axle OD.
I ordered a double row bearing. I'll make a new left side spacer with a shoulder as DBM showed, also with the ID only lightly larger than the axle OD.
Maybe with all that, the carrier won't be able to wobble and murder the carrier bearing?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 07/10/19 at 06:37:15

Armen:

The spacer is a bit of a loose fit on the axle....until you tighten everything up.  All the spacers and inner bearing races are clamped together when the axle nut is tightened.....I don't believe any of that can move around once it is assembled and torqued.

The loose fitting item is restricted to the pulley hub.....there is just a single row bearing trying to keep it in alignment, and that is not durable enough to keep the pulley in alignment for a bunches of miles, and the bearing is subject to an axial load that it really was never designed to handle.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #25 - 07/10/19 at 10:27:30

Dave,
If the carrier is wobbling, there is play somewhere. Once the bearing is toast, than that becomes the source of the wobble.
Before that, it'd have to be the clearance between the bearing and the bore in the carrier, and the inner race to the gazzinta spacer.
So, I'm going with the double wide bering, new, tighter spacers, and the left spacer shouldering into the outer part of the bearing. That should do it Smiley

Not a big deal.
The only part that hurts my feelings is that I bought and installed a new single row 2RS bearing, a new seal, and made a captive outer spacer (held in place with the seal.
Ah well.

Savage_spacers.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 07/10/19 at 14:57:17

Armen:

The pulley hub is only attached to the outer race of the single row bearing in the pulley hub (because there is too much clearance where the pulley hub inserts into the wheel hub), and that is where the wobble comes from once the single row bearing gets some wear.

I really don't believe that any of the inner races of the wheel bearings, pulley hub bearing, or the spacers get any movement once the axle is tightened and locks them in place.

The double row bearing is a good fix and Kudos to DragBikeMike.....but if you already have the single row bearing and can put a bushing on the hub - it has been working just fine on my bike for the last 6,000 miles.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 07/10/19 at 15:12:55

I agree with Dave, the clearance between the axle and spacers isn't the source of the wobble.  Once you tighten up the axle nut the spacers pinch the inner race of the bearing and lock it in place.  If you do the Double Row Bearing mod, you have to make sure that the faces of the inner and outer spacers do not touch.  That way, you will be assured that the inner race is pinched.

It won't hurt to make the clearance between the spacer ID and the axle OD tighter, and it will improve concentricity between the axle and the pully OD (always nice to maintain concentricity, its all good).

I used the stock inner spacer and I modified the stock outer spacer, so concentricity should remain within factory spec.  The critical measurement is the shoulder length.  You want that to be .338" or a little less to make sure that the inner race gets pinched.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #28 - 07/10/19 at 15:15:24

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Double row bearing is on the way. Sounds like a good fix.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #29 - 07/12/19 at 19:13:29

Place I ordered my wheel bearings from caries this bearing too.
http://bearingdepot.com/5305-2RS_Bearing?search=5305

I stopped in at the machine shop up the street and was told they can turn down the spacer for me no problem.
So I'm gonna go with this mod since I got wobbles.
Weird thing is my wobbling changes each day. Some days it's bad and others it's hardly there. Not sure what to make of this.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 19:58:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Pulley Wobble Fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.