Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Budget Biking
06/29/19 at 18:03:12

We poke fun at "Bikers" and "Squids"  - and often overlook the real "motorcyclist......the fellow who could care less about what you think about his machine.

My wife and I were coming back from a weeks vacation in Hocking Hills State Park in southern Ohio, and we stopped at a rest area on the Appalachian Highway....Route 32.

I saw this fellow riding a small motorcycle packed with gear and teased him about trying to disprove the belief that a touring bike needs to be 1,000 cc and weigh 700 pounds.  He said he had already proven that to be wrong....as he had just been in New Mexico a few days earlier.  He has been on the road since April 25th when he left Michigan.

The bike is a 1982 Suzuki GS450L that he bought recently with 7,000 miles on it, and he paid $350 for it.  The bike now has 23,000 trouble free miles on it, and he gets around 60 mpg.  He said he cruises at 65mph or below.

So......there are thousands of very affordable motorcycles out there just waiting to be ridden!  All you have to do is find one, buy it, and go riding!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Budget Biking
Reply #1 - 06/29/19 at 19:35:26

Yes indeed!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/29/19 at 21:39:51

I don't really Know what a
Kudo is, but I hear they are good, so, I'm gonna give him five buckets full of them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 06/29/19 at 23:32:19

Confirms what I discovered 40 years ago; most used bikes for sale have minimal miles on them and buying a used bike is safer than buying a used car.
There are dozens of stories of the world being traversed by small bikes, the only requirements being courage to try, and a modicum of mechanical skill.
cheers! Cool

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 06/30/19 at 04:43:37

Awesome, just awesome.  Thanks for sharing that story.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 06/30/19 at 07:17:05

That is great !

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/30/19 at 08:32:16

And it looks like a comfy ride...  Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 06/30/19 at 11:16:09

I read a story a while back of a young man who rode a 5hp mini bike across the US. from N.Y. to LA .   the motor had to be rebuilt . CA. the only spares he carried were a change of gears so he could make it over the Rockies.(  now that's travelin' lite)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #8 - 06/30/19 at 11:25:21

For me the coolest biker I've ever met is the little old lady in my county who daily rides her Honda Rebel. This is a person in her 70s. One day sitting at the stop light talking she said she bought her bike new (don't know the year but clearly an older model) and she'll keep riding it until either she or the bike can't ride anymore.
If I wasn't already spoken for I'd try to marry that little old lady. She's my hero.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 06/30/19 at 13:55:50

I know men in the vintage bike movement here who ride well into thier eighties.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 07/02/19 at 20:12:37

My S-40 with the Kawasaki 25 tooth pulley does a nice job of running down the road at 70 / 75 mph.   The gas millage is only about 50 mpg at that speed , but if I slow down just 5 mph the mpg starts going up .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 07/03/19 at 04:29:42

jcstokes wrote on 06/30/19 at 13:55:50:
I know men in the vintage bike movement here who ride well into thier eighties.

There is a group of retired men that meet every Friday for lunch, and they are all 15-20 years older than me.  During the week if the weather is good, they will arrange to go on a morning ride and stop for lunch......the lead rider is 83 and rides a BMW S1000R or and F800R, and the 2nd place rider is 78 and is riding a Suzuki 750 Intruder - I ride in 3rd place and the slower riders follow up on Valkyrie, Gold Wing, Harley and Moto Guzzi bikes.  Unfortunately we all age and the majority of the group has some physical issues of one sort or another, and we just lost one member who died from throat cancer......however the good news is that there is hope for us to ride late in life - even if our strength fades there is the chance to get a 3 wheeler of some sort if you still want to fight bugs and rain while traveling.

MM and I met an 83 year old fellow at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground that was riding his bike and sleeping in a tent.....and he had a PVC tube on the bike where he stored his beer!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 07/03/19 at 15:17:30

Last year our CMA chapter was working a National sanctioned AHRMA dirt bike race (hundreds of participants) and of all those old guy riders was a dude who was 99 years old.  He did all his heats and was in the final as well.  He was quite the inspiration.  The punishment his body took would have laid me low.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/16/19 at 11:11:55

Good reliable bike, reasonable performance, lotta bang for the bucks.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/cincinnati-2007-suzuki-gs500f/6934887...

IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #14 - 07/16/19 at 13:28:43

Absolutely true In my early 20's maybe 21 or 22 I wanted to go to California and back from Minnesota. I used the only bike I had which was a little ninja 250. It was an amazing little machine that enjoyed the ride as much as I did. If there is a will there is a way.

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 21:00:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Budget Biking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.