Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Summer riding season! DETOUR (Read 36 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Summer riding season! DETOUR
06/27/19 at 21:22:22

One thing I like about riding yeat around is during the colder months there's less construction and detours. Now in the prime of riding season everything is all jacked up. Commuting to work today I realized that every highway and road between home and the job has construction or detours. Even the secondary roads are all torn up or have a bridge out.
And the real fun of it all is getting stuck in stop and crawl under the hot sun with a hot engine below.

Looking at Google maps I see construction all over this entire region. You can't avoid it. Enough orange cones to stretch from here to the moon. Enough angry horn honking cagers to fill the Mariana Trench. And enough with summer already!

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Summer riding season! DETOUR
Reply #1 - 06/28/19 at 04:23:59

And it may get worse.  Cities and Counties are on a Fiscal Year budget, and they are generally out of money until July 1st comes along....then they can start making commitments and start spending next years money - so you are likely to see more local street projects beginning in the coming months.  For our area of KY the nearly constant rains have made it nearly impossible for the road projects to start.....last week a contractor told me that he had only been able to get 10 working days in so far this year!

On local roads I can generally find an alternate route.......when it really causes a problem is when the work is on an interstate and backs up the traffic for miles and hours, and folks have no options once in the jam.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2 - 06/28/19 at 07:13:38

They're working on I95 and it's causing massive spillover onto local roads which all have lane and bridge closures and for one road a detour back onto the interstate lol

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 06/28/19 at 11:29:41

My old lady reported that she's got the same situation on her 6.5 mile commute. No less than 7 construction zones and no way to avoid them.

I'm starting to wonder if they just don't want anyone to go anywhere this summer.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/28/19 at 16:48:42

While we're here on the subject,.. (sort of)...
We used to get wiggly cracks and random potholes in our roads,... but for the past 20 or so years, roads here get even buckles that run from curb to curb.  These mean suckers are spine jolting and cannot be avoided.
Very straight, symmetrical damage.
Then, they repair them by pouring tar in the cracks, making them stand up higher.
Did some technology of road paving change?...
In the old days I could weave around most road hazards, now you just grit your teeth and tense your spine.

The photo example shown is very mild, but it does show the curb too curbness.  This didn't happen 25 years ago.
WHY?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 10:37:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Summer riding season! DETOUR

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.