Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil Leak through Stator Cover (Read 48 times)
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil Leak through Stator Cover
06/24/19 at 17:44:41

Hey guys, so I'm out to fix the various oil leaks on my bike. The worst one appears to be through the wiring on the stator side of the case. I should have taken a pic before I cleaned it up but didn't. Anyway the oil was leaking down this groove in the trans cover and pooling under the bike. Maybe a quarter ounce or so after every ride.

Is this pretty common and what can I do to fix it? I just want to make sure it isnt the trans cover thats leaking but seeing how as the entire cover was covered in oil I'm fairly sure it's from the wiring plug. I pulled it but dont see any way to replace it. It's still very pliable and not dry rotted. Should I cover it with RTV and call it a day?

Also, this gear and washer fell out when I pulled the cover. I'm fairly sure both go to the starter and are mounted on the stator cover, correct? Also, which way does he gear go? I didnt check Clymer's but I'm fairly sure it's in there too.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Oil Leak through Stator Cover
Reply #1 - 06/24/19 at 18:33:43

Look at the exploded parts diagram for the proper assembly places, a picture is worth a thousand words.

When you put the washer on stick it on with some grease, when you put the cover back on the magnets will suck it back together and can pull that washer where it don't belong and destroy the stator windings.(guess how I know!) Grease will keep the washer on it's shaft like a little glue, then melts into the hot oil.

Practice putting the cover on a couple times so you know what to expect before you use a new gasket and, or sealer. It will suprise you the first time.

Clean everything good with brake cleaner or acetone and use a high temp sealer on ONE side of the gasket and all around the rubber plug. Let it cure overnight before snugging the bolts again and re-fllling the oil.

You don't want to strip those small bolts, use nothing bigger then a 1/4'' drive rachet with your hand over the pivot NOT down on the end of the handle.

You were wise to ask for advice on this one, it is a little tricky to put back together the first time, and if that washer gets sucked down into the stator windings, it gets expensive.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/24/19 at 18:52:51

Awesome, thank you for the tips! I'm guessing this is a common leak? There was no silicon on the plug when I removed it. I will grab a can of brake parts cleaner when I head to NAPA.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/25/19 at 03:33:20

As the bike ages and goes through more time with a hot engine, the rubber seal around the wiring seems to shrink.

I don't use any sealer on a new gasket - but I do put some RTV sealer on the rubber seal that the wiring passes through.....it only takes a very small amount spread around the outside of the seal.  (I also put a little bit on the wiring to make sure the oil doesn't get past the wires).

The neutral light wire on the other side of the engine gets the same treatment.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:22:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Leak through Stator Cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.