Send Topic Print
Suzuki GZ250 (Read 219 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Suzuki GZ250
Reply #15 - 06/27/19 at 06:50:56

The problem with all of these super bright lights is that nobody can see where they are going at night.  Have you noticed that you can no longer see beyond the headlights of most oncoming cars until you pass them?  

But people want bright lights, the pay extra for it.  It sells.  Unforntualy you only benefit when you are the only person on the road with the bright lights. Bunch of idiots driving around like deer in the headlight.  Too much of a good thing...

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 06/27/19 at 07:22:26

LED Bright White !  

I keep mine adjusted and wish everybody else did too !  Sad

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #17 - 06/27/19 at 17:36:10

MMRanch wrote on 06/26/19 at 16:38:51:
They make good running light to help you get seen .    Headlights they are not.    

I'll try to get ya a picture after dark.

Here is the two (turn/running) small lights and the LED Head-Light .  The same clear lenses from ebay and the two-color bulbs

In turn signal mode the color turn yellow on one side .

I haven't had anybody pull out in front of me in a while now !  Wink

Thanks alot for posting that! Those look pretty impressive. I think I'll give them a try.

Funny how life likes to make you eat your words. Today while riding the Duck 90 mph down an exit lane on 495 a car doing no more than 50 in the not exit lane decided at the last second they wanted to get off. And over they came right in front of me. I had one of those thank God for ABS moments. As big and loud and bright as that bike is its no match for sheer utter stupidity.

Anyway yeah I'm convinced Thumpy could use brighter lights. Thanks for the info all.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 06/27/19 at 22:03:18

sheer utter stupidity.  

Yep !   90 mph in a 70 zone will get ya almost every time ...  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 06/28/19 at 04:14:15

You need to pick your spots to speed very carefully.......things can go very wrong, very quickly if you speed around other traffic.  It is so easy to go too fast on a bike with HP.....it is not so easy to get them under control when things to wrong.

One of the things I do to learn how to avoid being in an accident, is to watch the "Asian Scooter Crashes" or "Russian Driving" videos on YouTube.  The majority of the crashes occur when there is a noticeable speed difference between vehicles.  The vehicle moving significantly faster than the others usually gets in the crash because the other driver sees the normal traffic and makes a judgement based on those vehicles, and they don't anticipate the fast vehicle coming.  When they start their left of right turn or lane change......suddenly there is another vehicle that "came out of nowhere".  However - there are always folks just making stoopid moves without any good reason and the slower riders often have time to react - while the speeder does not have time and crashes.

Here is one example, get some popcorn and a cool one - and watch the carnage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgjsDl_iMo

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #20 - 06/28/19 at 05:56:16

So if I went with above lighting suggestions I'd probably still have enough juice left for these too?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-CREE-LED-Angle-eyes-LED-Driving-Spot-Fog-...

The exit lane I was in was a mile long and the average speed around me was about 80. Except for the one slowpoke. He was actually in the exit lane to start and then sped back into the normal lanes. He drove on like he was staying his course and then dived back over right in front of me. So yeah with most of the traffic going at least 80 I was not driving at reckless speed by comparison especially considering I had a mile of exit lane all to myself. At least until the wandering moron changed his mind the 2nd time. He was the one driving at the reckless speed. It works both directions.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 06/28/19 at 07:16:48

I'm under the impression we have about "100 watt" alt.

55/60 watts headlight
24 watt running ... tail/front lights  (3 * 8 watts)

so how many watts does our alternator put out ?

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 06/28/19 at 07:28:30

Enough for 2 stock headlights if you don't want to charge the battery.

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #23 - 06/28/19 at 11:19:14

Real men don't need no battery  Cool

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #24 - 06/28/19 at 15:05:21

Actually if pulse width modulation with a 50% duty cycle was used you could invert the pulse and run one light from the original pulse and the other from the inverted pulse then the stator wouldn't know any better. It would see the same load for the two headlights as a single headlight and still be able to charge the battery. Assuming a high enough switching frequency you wouldn't get noticeable flicker from LEDs and with incandescent it's a moot point since filaments still make some light for a brief moment after power cuts out.
Obviously you'd have some loss from heat in the switching devices but not much.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #25 - 06/28/19 at 20:19:01

I ordered the LEDs.
And these
https://www.ebay.com/p/Kuryakyn-2467-Orbit-Prism-4-1-2in-LED-Passing-Lamps-wi...

And a pair of these to stuff the passing lamps into.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-4-5-quot-Clear-Lens-Headlight-Bottom-Moun...

Then I'll have to fab up some mounting contraption like I did for my headlight.

The headlight I have projects light in a narrow box and even a bright LED won't fix that. I'll just have a brighter box but still can't see the side or other lanes of the road. So the passing lamps will help by putting out some light beyond the box. And I can sync the ghetto color rings to my Punk rock while riding.  Cool

And if my battery starts dying I'll build the above PWM switch to alternate current between the headlight and passing lamps.  And by changing the duty cycle of the modulation I can fade between the lights too.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #26 - 06/30/19 at 20:38:52

Those Orbit. Prism passing lamps were so cheap because it turns out that they do not include the Bluetooth controller module. I didn't realize that when I ordered it. The kit with the controller is twice as much money. So if I want to use them I'd have to wire a switch for each red, blue and green circuit in order to have some choices in color. But being somewhat resourceful I found this.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/rgb-led-controllers/rgb-led-controll...

And there's a wireless remote for $15 to program it with. Provides good control over color selection and brightness and remembers its state after power cycling. And since it's dual channel I can set different parameters for each light. This is possibly more useful than it sounds considering I'd get fine brightness control in the event there's variation in the brightness levels of the LEDs in each light. And I can also program for portside red and starboard green for when I ride along the intracoastal canal  Tongue

Or I can send it back. But it's still less than the kit with the controller.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #27 - 07/01/19 at 23:09:51

I'm not sure that mult. colored light would be legal in all 50 States ?    better check it out before any fines are payed than after any fines are payed !   Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 07/02/19 at 12:27:59 by MMRanch »  

philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #28 - 07/02/19 at 20:03:23

I think if you set it to amber it can qualify as a running light. I've seen people doing this in my area. PA laws are somewhat ambiguous but they do specify that front running lights must be amber or white. Blue lights of any type are forbidden and the front of a vehicle cannot have any red lights. That's off the top of my head. Can't remember the rest.
I looked it up when trying to figure out if my bike should have red or amber rear turn signals/running lights and they're actually are supposed to be red in this state but there's an allowance for amber if the vehicle came with OEM amber running lights.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #29 - 07/03/19 at 19:11:39

Installed the LED in the headlight tonight and yeah this thing is a hell of alot brighter. Big difference, like night and not night.

Like I suspected I still have that constrained box of light just brighter. The rest of the lighting gear will trickle in soon. I'm already working out a mount for it. Need to go talk to the sheet metal shop. Bounce ideas off them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:33:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Suzuki GZ250

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.