Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: The earth is flat
Reply #15 - 06/13/19 at 03:24:43

(They have proven that the earth is nearly round - it is just a bit flatter at the poles and a bit wider at the equator).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-is-not-round/

batman wrote on 06/12/19 at 19:44:26:
       I earlier stated that 80 percent of wear occurs at startup that was false , it's 90 percent .

Do you have any kind of recent research or data to back this statement up?  Something from somebody with the tools and equipment to support this legend?

batman wrote on 06/12/19 at 19:44:26:
you need only enough pressure to circulate the oil,( about 10 psi per 1000 rpm) no more no less .

You have repeated this several times on the forum, and I did an internet search to find out where this "belief" come from.  The only references I could find was for folks working on V-8 engines used in cars.  That 10 psi might be the ticket for an engine with hydraulic lifters and plain bearings - but I still don't believe it is applicable to a single cylinder engine with roller and ball bearings.  From what little measuring I can see has been done on the Savage engine......it doesn't provide anywhere near the kind of pressures you are quoting.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1118629

« Last Edit: 06/13/19 at 04:41:43 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 06/13/19 at 07:48:27

Dave  your correct ,I did found this pressure as it related to race track cars not our motorcycle , but what pressure does are bike put out? If in fact it is much less ,that would still enforce that the flow of oil is much more important than pressure .  A study of thermodynamics and fluid flow , includes the formula :

P x V
                 -------------
                        T
Pressure x volume(flow)  divided by temperature.  If the temp. remains the same ,but a thicker oil is used 20w50  instead of 10w40 , the pressure increases ,and therefore the volume/flow must decrease to balance the equation. this shows that pressure and flow are if fact inversely proportional.
               It would be better to say that MOST wear occurs at startup ,I don't have definitive proof of it's percentage , however  it would be more accurate to say to say oil gets thicker as it cools , rather than think it gets thicker as it warms.  when you see the label on oil it is very misleading , 10w40 does not mean the oil has a viscosity of 40 at operating temperature , 40 is the grade weight of oil that the oil is based on. Oil does get thicker as it cools and that IS the problem. the actual viscosity of your oil at running temp is about 10 to 14 .   the viscosity of the oil at 75 degrees  can be about  250+ for a straight 40 wt.,100 for 10w40  , and about 40 for a for a synthetic 10w 40 , none of these cold will properly lube the motor , and is why I stated that so, and why I stated that 5w40 Rotella  will warn faster and produce the least wear at startup ,but at a viscosity of 40 it is still 4 times to thick to prevent wear until it reaches temperature.
    the site I used  for this info and  a good read on many other subjects
            Suzukitechnical

P.S. credit to JOG who found this site a long while ago.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 06/13/19 at 08:07:26

batman wrote on 06/13/19 at 07:48:27:
 when you see the label on oil it is very misleading , 10w40 does not mean the oil has a viscosity of 40 at operating temperature , 40 is the grade weight of oil that the oil is based on.

All oil is thick when it is cold....and thins when it gets warm....and thinner when it is hot.

The viscosity ratings of oil are tested 100 degrees centigrade for the upper rating.  The oils are heated and then allowed to flow through an orifice....the rate for flow is established using straight grade oils (SAE 20, 30, 40, 50, etc).  A multi viscosity oil that is rated at 40 flows through the orifice at the same rate the straight weight oil does at that temperature.  This means that at 100 degrees temperature....an SAE 40 oil and a 15W-40 flow at the same rate.

The cold weather rating at 0 degrees Centigrade is not so easily defined, as it is a combination of tests.  Not only do they test the flow rate of the multi grade oil and compare it to the flow rate of the straight weight oil - but they also compare the oil resistance to shear.

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/sae-viscosity-grades/

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/viscosity-index/

batman wrote on 06/13/19 at 07:48:27:
10w40 does not mean the oil has a viscosity of 40 at operating temperature , 40 is the grade weight of oil that the oil is based on. Oil does get thicker as it cools and that IS the problem. the actual viscosity of your oil at running temp is about 10 to 14 .   the viscosity of the oil at 75 degrees  can be about  250+ for a straight 40 wt.,100 for 10w40

The viscosity of an oil at operating temperature is approximated by the upper number of the multi viscosity rating at 100 degrees centigrade - which is 212 degrees......what they consider as an operating temperature for water cooled engines.  To say that a 40 weight oil at 100 degrees has a viscosity of 10-14 at this temperature is misleading - as you have not stated what temperature the 10-14 weight oil is at (I understand you are implying the 40 weight oil is thin when hot....I get that).  However the engines are designed to run with the engine oil being thin when hot.

I also understand that oil is thick when cold, and it does not flow was well when cold.  However the difference in thickness between a 5W, 10W, 15W and 20W oil is not significant at summer temperatures, and really isn't a contributing factor in which motor oil to buy for summer use......however some folks argue that more additives are used to lower the winter use rating, and those additives take up space that would normally be occupied by oil molecules - thereby reducing the lubricating value of the oil (Theory is a 15W-40 oil will have more oil and less additive than a 5W oil and provide better lubrication).

So that is how I feel and what my beliefs are based on - I am using Rotella  a T4 15W-40 in my tractor, and T6 5W-40 in my cars and motorcycles.  If somebody wants to use a 20W-50 in the Savage in the summer...I am OK with that as the factory says it is OK in the owners manual - they may want to consider a thinner oil if they ride in cool temperatures.

Here is a video to satisfy your interest in what motor oil looks like at -30 degrees.......not a good day for riding your motorcycle, and definitely the kind of weather that requires a block heater or warm garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVn5OzuHtjg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 06/13/19 at 10:41:21

Dave all numbers I used were not hard numbers , but used , as a reference and based on car oils ,  for example I said the viscosity of the oil when hot was 10-14 (@ 212 F) and it appears it's more like 9 t0 16 for 40 weight ,  16 to as high as 21 for 50 weight. even so that shows that 50 wt. will create more pressure an therefore decrease flow ,that doesn't make anything I've said less relative, just less technical. so be it ,I've said my piece ,And I'm out of here .

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #19 - 06/13/19 at 13:40:24

Around 1966 I was a student in a automotive trade-high school in the Bronx NY. We had a old shop teacher who was very smart and had seen it all.  One day he took a hand held oil gun , walked over to the window and squeezed out about one ounce of oil onto the glass and told us not to touch it. The next day he had us wipe our finger across the glass.  A film of oil could clearly be felt. He then went on to tell us that this is how it works in a engine, and all the talk about oil starvation, and wear during start up was BS. That made sense to me.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #20 - 06/13/19 at 14:54:02

BIGGEST cause of engine wear is poor maintence.....
Just like people, neglect leads to early demise, in most cases  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 06/15/19 at 22:27:56

HOTROD, you wiped your fingers across it the next day , I put my bike away for six months(4,380 hrs) , not 24 hours . That's a whole different ball game.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 06/17/19 at 23:20:28

Pressures on bearings are created when compression and ignition happen.
Oil pressure comes up after.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #23 - 06/18/19 at 11:18:51

How much later ? Pressure is there by rotation of the crankshaft, at times before ignition. At this point there is no load on the engine anyway.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #24 - 06/18/19 at 13:26:59

I'm no techie, but I have read, the oil film coating lasts about two weeks, Hotrods teachers demo could well apply to a vehicle in daily or near daily use.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:26:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › The earth is flat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.