new style of tire (Read 176 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
new style of tire
06/11/19 at 20:14:24

I ran over a chunk of metal last week and got a 2" slice in my rear tire (110/90-16 Shinko) .

Today I put a new tire on :  Its a 5.10/16 Duro Rib tread .

https://www.amazon.com/Duro-HF302B-Tire-Application-25-30216-510-TT/dp/B000VV...

So , I took a ride on it today .   It "Drifts" around the corners REALLY SMOOTH , that continues tread pattern feels great !   Don't know if its corning faster , but its a predictable drift feeling.

Duro_HF302B_5_10_16.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: new style of tire
Reply #1 - 06/12/19 at 02:10:51

One thing I can say about the newest motorcycle tires -- they are more and more expensive.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #2 - 06/12/19 at 04:46:31

They sure are more expensive. Car tires too. I remember the first good handling, road feel tire I put on a motorcycle, a Dunlap K81 TT100.  I thought I was Mike Hailwood on my Honda CB350. Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/12/19 at 05:49:34

That is a really Old School tread pattern from about 80 years ago....I would be surprised if you discover it has improved your speed - it likely just feels faster as the tread "squirms" around.

I don't expect that tire to hold up to your fast cornering and also provides the kind of mileage you like to get from your tires.....when you were that tire out I would think you would want to install an Avon Roadrider AM26.

« Last Edit: 06/12/19 at 08:31:38 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 06/12/19 at 09:31:38

Mike, Is that tire tubeless, or tube type? That looks like something I might be intersted in, after I burn off these cheap Kendas from that closeout sale a few months back. 5k on the first 140/90 15 and it looks about half gone. I'm thinking 9k and it will be shot, still great for a $20 tire!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 06/12/19 at 09:54:00

Badwolf ,

I'm running it on a tubeless rim (GS450) without a tube and it held up over night ???   I do believe its tubeless but I'll check and if its not I'll holler back at ya .  Wink  

Don't know what kinda millage I'll get out of it , but I've got a 100 mile loop planed for the day today.

I started to get a AM26 Avon in 120/80-16 to fit the narrow GS450 rim.  my other 3 tires are AM26's and they are easy to like and last a long time .  (6k-miles on rear of guzzi and 1/2 gone).

But , I had an itch to try this rib tread ... last one I had like this was on my 1971 HONDA CB-350 TWIN . it lasted about 15,000 miles and I didn't drive very nice back then either.   The CB350 Twin had 36HP.  

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 06/12/19 at 13:32:05

My son just put new tires on his (expensive) mountain bike.  They go for about $70 each.  I couldn't believe it.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 06/12/19 at 15:11:26

hotrod wrote on 06/12/19 at 04:46:31:
They sure are more expensive. Car tires too. I remember the first good handling, road feel tire I put on a motorcycle, a Dunlap K81 TT100.  I thought I was Mike Hailwood on my Honda CB350. Grin

Naw, those aren't car tires, they are "universal thread" motorcycle tires a la BMW, from 1960's mebbe.   Bias belted would be my guess, not radial at all.   No steel belts either.    Tread continues around to part way up the sidewall, as was typical back then.

What you see below is a $27 new rear car tire for a Savage, a real car tire on special sale from Walmart On Line.  

Walmart On Line is a mess, they screwed up and lost the tire twice and Walmart On Line refunded me twice and gave me a $25 gift card for all the trouble they had caused me.   I'd go to the store and the folks at the local Wally would not know anything about the tire that had just showed up there shipped in special just for me.  

Hah, nothing ever showed up TWICE and after 3 months of trying I called it quits and told Wally to keep their cheap tire and their special charge card, which special issued Mastercard was a complete pain in the butt to use and to credit to and then to credit to again when they had charged me twice for the tire that never came.

Then the tire actually showed up at the local Wally Tire Center about 4 months later and I was told to come by and pick it up at the Tire Center store manager's insistence.   I told them twice that the order was all screwed up and had been cancelled twice (at a lot of effort on my part).

I am unsure if I ever got even charged for the tire again, and I really didn't really sweat it very much as Wally had made such a mess out of the first two cancelled orders  ----  I no longer felt much responsibility to Walmart On Line when they can't keep their act together any better than that.  By then the Wally charge card had been closed out and cut up months earlier.

This is a Federal brand name steel belted radial car tire with nice rounded corners, I think it will ride the best of any of the car tires I have ever run on the back of the Savage as it fits the wheel well better and has nice rounder corners.

May be a year or two before I need to put it on as I am not putting as much road mileage on the Savage like I used to.

IMG_20190612_175741450_1.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/12/19 at 15:59:26

Badwolf, MM, Dave are you up for a trip to start off at Kickstand Lodge (staying in the Bunk House) then proceeding on up the Blue Ridge Parkway to stay at Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground in a cabin for a night, then mebbe continuing on up the Blue Ridge until we get all tired of it and wanna go home?

We could carry a cell phone and use an app that would let all the Wild Ones all run wild like they are gonna want to do anyway and then they can catch up with us later on at their convenience.

If we are only talking 3-4 days, then Dave could ride one of his more comfortable bikes then he could bust off when we got about as high up in Virginia as we were going to go (I understand the Shenandoah valley is nice and pretty, but really is sorta flat and tame to our original group's taste).

Comments, anyone?    Do you remember the nice Rib place in Waynesboro, think your wife would approve of it?

This could be a wifey trip too, for those who want to wanted to stop and shop occasionally.   Put her up in a cabin at Blue Ridge Campground.   Or just plan to base out of Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground and day trip up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway as it is all pretty close by actually and it is all close by to right off the actual Parkway itself.  

Asheville downtown is a really good shopping mecca, and there is a trip up to the top of Mount Michel for those who like some snow in the summertime.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #9 - 06/12/19 at 18:15:40

Mike, I found a listing for that tire on Bike Bandit and it is listed as a tube/type tire. How are you doing keeping air in it?
I tried a Shinko 240 without a tube and that did NOT work at all. More power to you if you can run it tubeless.
On another note, I was going to go to the off-road truck races in Mo. but a storm went thru and wiped out the grandstand, CANCLLED! Now I am thinking a couple days in N. Ga. and the KSL then out to the Midwest for some dirt track races. (my brother is working for a race promoter in Ill and says he'll hook me-up) I might swing by Tenn on the way and say Hi.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 06/12/19 at 19:22:22

OldFeller
ya got any dates in mind for a mountain ride ?    I'll check my calendar for comparison .
Smiley

Thanks for the heads up Badwolf ... I'll put some green slime in it tomorrow .     That stuff , is GREAT if ya don't use too much of it !  Grin
I'm thinking 3 or 4 ozs in the rear tire , it seated on the rim with about 25 lbs.  I hope I never have to go back to "Tubes" ...  Tongue

« Last Edit: 06/12/19 at 20:46:54 by MMRanch »  

batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 06/12/19 at 20:25:51

How is it in the rain? doesn't look like it would shed much water.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 06/12/19 at 20:39:54

funny you should ask that today ... I got caught in the rain today !
Yea , rain suit stuff , cars slowing down to 35 in a 55 zone kind of rain.   It was only for about 10 miles .    I slowed down with the cars and stayed in line with traffic ducked behind the windshield.   Some water got in through my cuff and made my elbow damp and I was glad my boots had been sprayed with Water-Proofing.  
But , I had no problem keeping up with traffic , but keeping up with Dave on a sports bike with gum-ball tires on a twistie mountain road might have been a problem ???  Roll Eyes

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/13/19 at 03:43:43

MMRanch wrote on 06/12/19 at 20:39:54:
But , I had no problem keeping up with traffic , but keeping up with Dave on a sports bike with gum-ball tires on a twistie mountain road might have been a problem ???  Roll Eyes

That design of tire looks to me like the tread pattern they used on the old flathead Harley's and Indians........when the rear suspension was in the seat and not on the back wheel.....and the front suspension was a springer fork.  These bikes were not know for their ability to corner.

I am glad you are adventurous and willing to try "new things" - in this case I think maybe it is an "old thing" and it likely is not going to be up to modern standards of tread life and cornering speed - but I could be wrong.  

If anybody can put this tire to the test - I know you can and will. Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 06/13/19 at 06:15:15

Agreed, who knows, it may shed water to the rear (like a rooster tail.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 10:43:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › new style of tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.