Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Burns fuse while driving. (Read 54 times)
Kirurgi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Burns fuse while driving.
06/11/19 at 14:05:37

My -99 Savage was working fine for a month after takeing it out from garage. Couple weeks a go it started to mess with me. It starts well, run on neutral normally and u can rev it on neutral/clutch down normally. BUT when u start moving and put little power to it, fuse (20A main) burns. Wires are ok and have covered them again, i have jumped on sattle while neutral and it doesn't burn it then. Also my horn died with dying sound at the same time. Regulator checked and ok. What next?  :'(
Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Burns fuse while driving.
Reply #1 - 06/11/19 at 14:25:16

Kirurgi wrote on 06/11/19 at 14:05:37:
Also my horn died with dying sound at the same time.  

That is saying something is wrong in the wiring.
Check the connectors for the controls, nice and tight?
Check the wiring going into the headlight, it's a tight hole and the insulation tends to wear thin.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 06/11/19 at 14:49:02

What wire(s) were burnt? -(colors and locations) , the fuse blowing should have protected that from happening.(fuses should on be 20amp)

« Last Edit: 06/11/19 at 16:03:38 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kirurgi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/11/19 at 20:15:50

Verslagen1
Gotta do another check for those. Thanks.

Batman
Didn't find any burnt wires, thats why so hard to narrow possibilities.  Shocked

Only randomly burning fuse while throttling, sometimes it lets me drive 1m and sometimes 500m before pop.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 06/11/19 at 22:36:25

kirurgi, sorry I misunderstood when you stated "wires OK have covered them again"  and "burnt fuse"  . fuses don't burn they blow or pop ,are terms we generally  use/hear,  and covered the wires again, made me think that the insulation had been burnt off/damaged. what you have is a dead short, a positive wire ,with bad insulation touching the framework of the bike( Grounding). this will try to send the entire 200+ amps of the battery through this wire to the negative post of the battery ,but it can't because the fuse will only allow 20 amps before it blows.so......first of all you should know that leaving the key turned on WITHOUT starting the bike, for an extend length of time can overheat the ignition module and ruin it, this can be avoided by removing the left side cover and unplugging it . second, check the wiring to the headlight as Verslagen stated, I'd even move the handlebar back and forth to check 'the wires running to the handlebar controls(they may be being pinched by the upper fork brace). third , because it only happens in gear I would check the wires from the neutral light switch ,they come out of the clutch side case between the oil sightglass and the case's clutch arm. You could also check the wires under the seat and tank for damage. (rear turn signals, and any that pass buy each side of the tank (flasher unit, spark coil unit ,horn , and the maze of wires and connector inside the headlight housing ,  for example)  Another place to look is behind the front drive pulley.wires from the pickup coil alternator and  I think the sidestand are bundled there and should be held by a guide so as to not be damaged buy the pulley.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 06/12/19 at 01:27:42

Loose connection or a short/shorted component.  Look at everything,you'll find it.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kirurgi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/12/19 at 01:36:44

Batman
Sorry for bad reference.  Grin
Gotta unplug everything 1 by 1 and testdrive.
Thanks. I'll let u know when I find that bastard...  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/12/19 at 05:53:59

The wiring behind the belt cover sometimes gets out of place and gets cut by the belt.

Also the headlight wiring harness between the left hand control and the headlight bucket can get broken wires inside.....normally it shows up as an intermittent headlight.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 12:03:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Burns fuse while driving.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.