Send Topic Print
New 2003 Savage Owner (Read 396 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New 2003 Savage Owner
Reply #30 - 06/05/19 at 08:19:21

I didn't suggest a filter...mostly concerned with the stock petcock and the possibility of running contaminated oil through the engine.  But your points are valid.

As soon as I heard my 2006 fire up, I drained the old oil out fear that it was contaminated with fuel.  Turns out it wasn't, it was just very well lubricated with A LOT of oil.   Shocked

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #31 - 06/05/19 at 11:12:05

Well what you say is true to a point Dave ,I'd change the old oil , I'd first turn the bike over a few times with the old oil using the starter motor and the sparkplug wire off to be sure the filter is full ,before draining , change the oil but leave the old filter in place until the bike runs the first time , that would allow 75% of the oil to be fresh at startup ,rather than !00% questionable. Even new oil can be ruined if not stored in a place where temperature remains stable ,I'd be leery of the condition of oil, and condensation  that might be trapped   in the bike ,that sat for 6 years.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Drewdeluxe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 06/05/19 at 17:36:02

I let it run for about 5min, but it still won't run with the choke off. Should I ride it with the choke on? Or let it run longer than 5min with the choke on? Does this mean I need to work my way into cleaning the carbs? At what point should I change the old oil? My new spark plug just arrived, will installing that help run with the choke off, and do that first?

FYI - I probably should've mentioned this earlier, while draining the gas through the petcock set to prime, the gasoline dripped out very slowly. Could this be an issue, bad petcock?

« Last Edit: 06/05/19 at 18:46:35 by Drewdeluxe »  
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 06/06/19 at 06:22:31

Letting it run (idle) for 5 min, may not warm the motor /oil , and may not be good for it, your not putting any load on the motor. I would go ahead and change the oil at this point ,but then ride it around the block a few times ( if it dies for any reason you can push it back home),leaving the choke on as needed (until you can push it in ). You won't know if the fuel flow /carb needs attention/ clutch slips /brakes works / etc. until you actually Ride it! I wouldn't change the plug at this time ,the sparkplug in it now is working ,  and a new plug won't change anything   . I'd save the new plug until your sure the carb /petcock is working correctly. If the fuel flow from the petcock is slow you'll know when you ride the bike as it will limit your speed or the bike will die /or falter as you try opening the throttle more. You could at that point check the tank for rust, pull the petcock and clean the filter screen, or clean the the carb. ( if you need to clean the carb ,come back to us and we can walk you through it , there are some do's and don'ts you'll need to know so you don't damage it.)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Drewdeluxe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 06/08/19 at 21:11:18

Tried to ride it with the petcock set to prime and the choke out, opened the throttle, barely felt power, and stalls.. I suspect I've got a bad petcock, so I just ordered a Raptor 660 to replace.

At this point, when I change the oil, do I leave the old filter, or replace that too?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #35 - 06/08/19 at 23:19:29

See if theres a drain bolt or plug, underneath the float bowl, you could take this out and see if any crap drains out, make sure there's not much gas in the tank if you do this.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 06/09/19 at 03:31:39

Drewdeluxe wrote on 06/08/19 at 21:11:18:
At this point, when I change the oil, do I leave the old filter, or replace that too?

The normal procedure for changing the oil and filter, is to make the change with a warm engine.  That way the engine has run and all the parts are coated with oil, and for the short period of time the engine is running without any oil flow while the new oil filter is being pumped full of oil - the engine is using the recent coating of oil for lubrication.  Warm/hot oil also flows better and likely gets more of the old oil and crud out of the engine when you remove the drain plug.

So......I would wait until you can get the engine running and warmed up before I change the filter - or at a minimum the engine should run for a minute to get oil onto the moving parts before you make the oil/filter change.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:33:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New 2003 Savage Owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.